Windows 10: Running out of space and adding external storage

Discus and support Running out of space and adding external storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was given this laptop by my sister and it has 57.1 GB left of 58.2 GB. I looked into where this 57.1 was being used up and it said 37 GB in apps. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Oliver HANLON, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Running out of space and adding external storage

I was given this laptop by my sister and it has 57.1 GB left of 58.2 GB. I looked into where this 57.1 was being used up and it said 37 GB in apps. I sorted my apps by size and added all the apps until less then 1 MB and found they added to 0.68 GB, so why is there an extra 30? I needed to upgrade my windows because i am finding so many problems and to do this i needed to get external storage. I got a 1TB toshiba storage and when i plug it in, it seems to work fine. But when i try and move anything onto it, i get ‘ theres a problem with this drive’. So i scan the drive and it finds errors, so i repair the drive. And then it says no errors were found, contradiciting itself, and then it goes back to the start of not working, as when i set my apps to download into my new storage it says ‘ we couldnt set your default save location, error code is 0x80070002’. It does say ‘try again in a bit’ as if it might change its mind and be nice for once. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

:)

Oliver HANLON, Jan 25, 2021

2. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Jan 25, 2021
  3. bz-1 Win User
    Crash when Adding Storage Space

Hi All,

Windows 10 crashed with an exception when I tried adding a new disk as a storage space. I had made the mistake of not adding the new disk to my system through disk management first before trying to add it as a storage space. The issue now is that I cannot
    see my new disk listed in disk management nor does the disk appear under the storage space pool. If I go into device management, I see the disk driver for my missing hard disk listed in there, the disk also shows up in my CMOS settings. What now? How do I
    remove this disk from the storage pool so that I can have it back as a stand alone disk? I have tried deleting the hard disk drivers and the ATA controllers to no avail.

4. Running out of space and adding external storage

selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work???

I selected an external storage device to free up space, as I need space to update Windows 10. However, once selected it still proceeds to take me to next step, which is to free up space (I've already done that step, repeatedly).

It does not pick up the external storage device, which I've tried 4 different USB that range from 16 GB to 119GB.

Help...

Windows7jca, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Running out of space and adding external storage

1. Running out of space and adding external storage - Similar Threads - Running space adding

2. Out of storage space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Out of storage space: I have a HP Windows 11 laptop which has a 500 gb SSD drive in. It is reporting of of storage space and when I opened File Explorer it shows 316gb in the Windows folder, balance probably being crapware installed by HP, apps I have installed and personal files.With 0 space...
  3. Out of storage space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Out of storage space: I have a HP Windows 11 laptop which has a 500 gb SSD drive in. It is reporting of of storage space and when I opened File Explorer it shows 316gb in the Windows folder, balance probably being crapware installed by HP, apps I have installed and personal files.With 0 space...
  4. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  5. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  6. Running out of Storage Space

7. My computer is running out of storage space .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is running out of storage space .: I have a Lenovo laptop ,and the storage left is 382mb ,don't know what to do next ,help ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-running-out-of-storage-space/316a1e41-3712-4a04-b5e8-bf1b83c25c2b
  8. My computer is running out of storage space .

My computer is running out of storage space .: I have a Lenovo laptop ,and the storage left is 382mb ,don't know what to do next ,help ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-running-out-of-storage-space/316a1e41-3712-4a04-b5e8-bf1b83c25c2b
  9. My computer is running out of storage space .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Running out of storage space error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running out of storage space error: Hi, can anyone help? I get a message that I am running out of storage space on my c drive, even though I have 39GB free. When I click on properties, the disk is somehow filled up. When I reboot, it seems to be clearing the error. This seems to be happening more and more...