Windows 10: running processes suspended when display goes off

Discus and support running processes suspended when display goes off in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have this annoying behaviour, where very often, running processes are suspended when the display goes off, either after the timout set in Power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by benoitvm, Mar 1, 2019.

1. benoitvm Win User

running processes suspended when display goes off

I have this annoying behaviour, where very often, running processes are suspended when the display goes off, either after the timout set in Power options, or intentionally with the 'nircmd.exe' utility (I miss a native Windows command to turn off the display manually).

This is very annoying when I want to run long computing jobs (video transcoding, etc.) with the connected displays blanked to save power: when I reactivate my computer (have to unlock with my password), most stalled processes simply resume, but some others (e.g. depending on attached devices) may fail.

The computer is plugged in and Power Option / Sleep is set to never when plugged in.

I never had this behaviour in Win 7 Pro.

Is this a change in the way Win10 handles processes when screen is off / locked ? Can this be changed ?

:)

benoitvm, Mar 1, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Mar 1, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Apps/processes being suspended!

Sorry you can't follow those. I can only suggest them.

The main idea of the first is the impact of an AV
    It therefore follows that you could consider which AV you are using.

In the second a solution found was
    It therefore follows that you could consider trying that, if meaningful in your case.

Note the final para of that thread indicates that is game-related- i.e. not a Windows service.

Conclusion:
    Both of these point to a 3rd party program being installed causing processes to be suspended.

It therefore follows that should you see if you have anything a bit unusual installed that is having the effect you are seeing.

dalchina, Mar 1, 2019
  4. running processes suspended when display goes off

PC goes into black screen and froze

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

jboydgolfer, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

running processes suspended when display goes off

1. running processes suspended when display goes off - Similar Threads - running processes suspended

2. Suspending processes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Suspending processes: Hello,Windows keeps suspending processes and then killing them on startup. I have had this issue before, and restoring to a previous point in time used to solve it for a few months but now the issue seems to be persistent even after doing this.I have run SFC /scannow and...
  3. Suspending processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspending processes: Hello,Windows keeps suspending processes and then killing them on startup. I have had this issue before, and restoring to a previous point in time used to solve it for a few months but now the issue seems to be persistent even after doing this.I have run SFC /scannow and...
  4. Suspending processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Process suspended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Process suspended: Does anyone know how to fix the problem with windows suspending my game (League of Legends) in task manager? It started when I updated it on ~23.3.2021 (I can't find the update anymore in update history), and one of the things I tried is to delete that update, but it was not...
  6. Suspended process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Suspended process: Hi, With the latest update i can't open any application preseinstalled in the OS. Like if i start services.msc the process will be suspended or if i try to reset, the OS, from the settings menu it will never allow me to finish because the process will be suspended. If i...
  7. Laptop display goes off but computer still running

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop display goes off but computer still running: Hello I hope somebody here can help me with my problem. The display on my laptop sometimes disappears but the computer is still running. It only opens when I have been away and never when I'm actually using it. I can see that the computer is still on because the power lights...
  8. Why slow when suspend a process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why slow when suspend a process: In order to make the machine faster, I tried to suspend the Box Sync process with PsSuspend command or Process Explorer. But during suspending the process, the response of Windows becomes slow. For example, clicking Explorer icon in Start menu, the Explorer starts...
  9. SearchUI.exe goes from Suspended to Running to Not Responding

in Windows 10 News
    SearchUI.exe goes from Suspended to Running to Not Responding: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The SearchUI.exe file manages the search feature for Cortana. Many users have reported that the feature stops responding within minutes of booting into the Windows 10 operating system. You cannot use Cortana’s search feature if this file is problematic....
  10. Processes Becoming Suspended

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Processes Becoming Suspended: For some reason starting about a week ago certain processes occasionally become suspended on my laptop. I'm running Windows 10x64 Pro on a Sager laptop with 16 GB of RAM and then i7 processor. The processor becomes suspended varies but IE 11 is one of the ones that become...