Windows 10: Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization

Discus and support Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; An interesting read. Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization | by Alice Knag | Jul, 2021 | Medium 181985 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by swarfega, Jul 2, 2021.

1. swarfega Win User

Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization

An interesting read. Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization | by Alice Knag | Jul, 2021 | Medium

:)

swarfega, Jul 2, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Windows Insider Preview: Nested Virtualization

Source: Windows Insider Preview: Nested Virtualization - Windows Virtualization Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Brink, Jul 2, 2021
  3. Jaime Win User
    Enable Virtualization for Windows 10 Pro running inside VirtualBox

Virtualbox does not expose the Intel VT extensions to the virtual machines. Thus, you cannot use these extensions in a Virtualbox or a hypervisor running in a Windows in VirtualBox.

• When you activate the VT extensions in the host Virtualbox, that hypervisor uses these extensions to support the virtualization
    • However, although you have activated the extension, the guest OS running in Virtualbox cannot use these extensions.

Nowadays, Docker for Windows uses Hyper-V (the hypervisor provided by Microsoft). Hyper-V supports "nested-virtualization", i.e. You can run hyper-V in a guest OS accessing the Intel VT extensions exposed by the host Hyper-V.

If you are not interested on using Hyper-V on the guest and the host at the same time, you can consider VMware Workstation. This hypervisor [supports Intel VT emulation][3]. You can run an operating system that use these extensions in a virtual machine in VMware.

Jaime, Jul 2, 2021
  4. Flaviu2 Win User

WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

Flaviu2, Jul 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization - Similar Threads - Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside

2. Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2: Hi MS community,I'd like to undervolt my CPU while running CFD on a laptop. The reduction in core temperatures achievable with an undervolt improves performance by limiting or eliminating throttling. I have found that Windows 11 appears to restrict the ability of software...
  3. Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2: Hi MS community,I'd like to undervolt my CPU while running CFD on a laptop. The reduction in core temperatures achievable with an undervolt improves performance by limiting or eliminating throttling. I have found that Windows 11 appears to restrict the ability of software...
  4. Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled: I have a machine running a windows 11 VM with nested virtualization enabled. when enabling wsl2 features and restarting the VM sometimes "halts" in the reboot process. seemingly for no reason. other times I have a checkpoint however it works just fine.In general nested...
  5. Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled

Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled: I have a machine running a windows 11 VM with nested virtualization enabled. when enabling wsl2 features and restarting the VM sometimes "halts" in the reboot process. seemingly for no reason. other times I have a checkpoint however it works just fine.In general nested...
  6. why can't I run hyper-v inside virtualbox

why can't I run hyper-v inside virtualbox: Hi, recently I created a windows 10 pro virtual machine inside a windows 10 home OS using virtual box. I found that windows 10 pro has built in hypervisor called hyper-v. I have nested visualization turned on in virtual box and my processor also support it. I made a windows...
  7. Enabling Insider to get WSL2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Enabling Insider to get WSL2: I just got a new laptop, and when I try to enable Insider builds, the Settings app loops on the "Register" flow. I know my account is already registered for Insider as I have Insider builds on my desktop computer. Furthermore when I log into my account on the web it says I...
  8. Hyper-V AMD Nested Virtualization Support

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hyper-V AMD Nested Virtualization Support: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ThomasMaurerCH [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0dumw/hyperv_amd_nested_virtualization_support/
  9. Where can I purchase fully-licensed, ready-to-run Windows 10 VM images (VirtualBox/Vagrant)?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where can I purchase fully-licensed, ready-to-run Windows 10 VM images (VirtualBox/Vagrant)?: I need Windows 10 Pro VMs to run either under VirtualBox or Vagrant. I really want to avoid the tedious installation procedure, hence I am looking for ready-to-run VM images. They need to be fully licensed and permanent. I am aware that Microsoft offers ready-to-run VM...
  10. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...