Windows 10: Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick.

Discus and support Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's a question. With Linux, you can download an image to a USB stick and run the OS off the USB - a so-called 'live' session - i.e. you don't need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArthurDent, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick.

Here's a question.

With Linux, you can download an image to a USB stick and run the OS off the USB - a so-called 'live' session - i.e. you don't need to install anything.

You switch the machine off and pull the USB stick and your PC is back to how it was before - presumably running Windows.

Is there a way of doing this with Windows??

Would like to run Windows 10 on my daughter's 12-year-old desktop so that she can see what Win 10 is like before potentially adopting it. The PC in question originally shipped with Vista and was then upgraded to Win 7.

I'm guessing this is possible??

Cheers,

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jul 15, 2020

2. win 10 usb stick

Bought the win 10 usb stick from microsoft to upgrade fro 7 to 10.Inserted usb stick, and computer recognizws it,but when I right click on setup, then run as administrator,I get the spinning busy icon and nothing happens.Can someone be of assistance?Thanks.

harveybrammer, Jul 15, 2020
  3. SaiZo Win User
    Is it possible to run Windows 7 from an USB stick?

No. It will run only on the media center. He wants a 32Gb USB stick to be "sure" all updates, all programs (VLC, Winamp etc.) will fit. The stick will remain in the media center all the time. The local hardware guy suggested Windows 8, but I haven't even tested that as yet. The media center can have harddrives connected to it, perhaps it would fit an SSD, but since he has a 2Tb drive already.. Why get an SSD if it can be run from an USB stick?

SaiZo, Jul 15, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick.

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick. [​IMG]

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick.

1. Running Win 10 as a 'Live' OS from a USB stick. - Similar Threads - Running 'Live' USB

2. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive: Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do...
  3. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive: Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do...
  4. Win 10 doesnt recognize USB Wifi stick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 doesnt recognize USB Wifi stick: Hey guys, I have a Realtek 8811U Wifi stick. Whenever I boot windows with the stick plugged in, it takes ages to boot. If I unplug it, it's quicker. Moreover the stick is not recognized by win 10 automatically. I have to unplug and plug in again to make it work. Do you...
  5. or this is Not required... beause started upgrade from USB stick live in Windows...?

or this is Not required... beause started upgrade from USB stick live in Windows...?: After download media creator tool for Windows 10 20H2, in order to upgrade 2004 to 20H2, And create a DVD or USB STICK with Windows 10 20H2 If start Windows 10 2004, insert USB stick and start the setup of windows 10 20H2,... required having boot order first USB stick...
  6. No sound running Linux Live USB on Win 10 computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound running Linux Live USB on Win 10 computer.: I created a Live LinuxMint-20 USB and ran it on my Windows 10 computer. It worked except...... no sound. The Sound icon at the "system tray" shows 100%, but I got no sound playing you-tube music. Please help. P.S. I am an absolute beginner in Linux. I know nothing. I was...
  7. win 10 media creation that run on boot up only.. from usb stick

win 10 media creation that run on boot up only.. from usb stick: none how stupid is this box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-media-creation-that-run-on-boot-up-only/4b5d177f-9969-494c-a3db-32e44571ca3b
  8. usb live stick, lost bootability and accessibility

in Windows 10 Support
    usb live stick, lost bootability and accessibility: i made bootable usb stick using winsetupfromusb.exe, content multiple useful tools, such hirenbcd, ubcd, antivirus, tails... and many *.iso. few days ago, i was messing around ubcd tools and ended ruined my boot usb repair tool. all data and iso are intact, all subfolder...
  9. win 10 usb stick

win 10 usb stick: Bought the win 10 usb stick from microsoft to upgrade fro 7 to 10.Inserted usb stick, and computer recognizws it,but when I right click on setup, then run as administrator,I get the spinning busy icon and nothing happens.Can someone be of assistance?Thanks....
  10. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792