Windows 10: Running Windows 10 How can I get it to open to Desktop rather than Chrome?

Discus and support Running Windows 10 How can I get it to open to Desktop rather than Chrome? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I run Windows 10 64bit and can find no way to change the startup program. I would like it to open to desktop, but have not found how to do that. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Shad_86, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Shad_86 Win User

Running Windows 10 How can I get it to open to Desktop rather than Chrome?

I run Windows 10 64bit and can find no way to change the startup program. I would like it to open to desktop, but have not found how to do that. It used to open to Edge before I added Google Chrome.

Any help would be appreciated

:)

Shad_86, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 13, 2018
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Windows 10 How can I get it to open to Desktop rather than Chrome? - Similar Threads - Running open Desktop

2. Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE MAC desktop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE MAC desktop...: Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE desktop that Microsoft has adopted?I bought a new computer for my wife and installed Windows 11 on it, my wife is LIVID that it looks more like an Apple Mac desktop than a Microsoft desktop that she...
  3. Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE MAC desktop...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE MAC desktop...: Can I make my Windows 11 Desktop look like Windows 10 rather than the APPLE desktop that Microsoft has adopted?I bought a new computer for my wife and installed Windows 11 on it, my wife is LIVID that it looks more like an Apple Mac desktop than a Microsoft desktop that she...
  4. How is Windows getting harder to use rather than easier

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is Windows getting harder to use rather than easier: I am trying to organize my photos and you barely have enough room to drag to select multiple files without clicking them or hitting the scroll bar. Randomly it copies bunches of them.Sometimes when I am dragging to select them it just starts selecting way more than I want...
  5. How is Windows getting harder to use rather than easier

How is Windows getting harder to use rather than easier: I am trying to organize my photos and you barely have enough room to drag to select multiple files without clicking them or hitting the scroll bar. Randomly it copies bunches of them.Sometimes when I am dragging to select them it just starts selecting way more than I want...
  6. How can I get Windows 21H1 to stay on the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, rather than...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I get Windows 21H1 to stay on the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, rather than...: I rebuilt my system drive onto a SSD because my HDD failed. I had been upgraded to 21H1 before the rebuild, but I decided to download a fresh install media for 21H1 and do a clean install. I pipe sound into my AV receiver 7.1 via HDMI. I use the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater....
  7. Windows Audio Troubleshooter now opens get help rather than msdt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Audio Troubleshooter now opens get help rather than msdt: when I right click now it opens the chat bot get help app can we change this back to windows diagonistic tool?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-audio-troubleshooter-now-opens-get-help/08520157-64be-478f-a6a1-16d58fbf4b0d
  8. Can't run .exe that is sitting rather than installed

Can't run .exe that is sitting rather than installed: Work laptop, Win10, partitioned C: and created a 120G D:. Transferred files from an SD card to new partition. half ton of .pdf files, some .xls files to reference them, and a "service records viewer" executable to view them. The files all open directly, but the computer won't...
  9. How can I get BETA Edge Browser to RUN a file rather than display it?

in Browsers and Email
    How can I get BETA Edge Browser to RUN a file rather than display it?: I have a fairly unique home page configuration for my browser. My home page was created in Excel and saved as an .HTM file. It is basically a page listing many links that I use frequently. When I click a link, the appropriate web page opens. Some of those links point to a...
  10. Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons: For some reason all of a sudden my computer is showing the Windows "Live Tiles" rather than the desktop icons that had been showing. How do I get things back to the way it was? 61443

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can I make windows open on desktop rather than user account