Windows 10: Running Windows 10 Profession 24/7 Plex Server - Long Uptimes

Discus and support Running Windows 10 Profession 24/7 Plex Server - Long Uptimes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, This is a little difficult to explain, but I'll give it a go - I really would like some or any advice. I built a Windows 10 server to run my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by KenKenco, Oct 8, 2018.

1. KenKenco Win User

Running Windows 10 Profession 24/7 Plex Server - Long Uptimes

Hi all,

This is a little difficult to explain, but I'll give it a go - I really would like some or any advice.

I built a Windows 10 server to run my Plex server on as well as a handful of other tasks. Those being media encoding, a few small python scripts, Malwarebytes and Avast anti virus and Filezilla FTP. It's pretty powerful machine, running:

500GB 850 Evo SSD OS drive
    7600k i7
    8GB DDR4 RAM
    8TB Storage (Configured in storage spaces using RAID 5)

I've noticed in the past few weeks or months (I don't have a specific timescale sorry) that my server will just generally perform poor and choppy once it has an up-time longer than around 24/48 hours. For example, after the 24/48hr time period if I start playback from Plex, on the WAN or the LAN playback can be choppy or buffer. The transcoder built into Plex doesn't even tickle the CPU and yet everything is just choppy. My LAN speed using iperf3 is around 750mb/s, so it can't be networking. But it's not just Plex. I use Filezilla frequently, after a fresh restart I can transfer at speeds of 35mb/s. Once my server begins playing up they can be as low as 100kbi/s taking hours to transfer anything over the LAN.

I regularly update, keep on top of my rubbish and maintain the core services as best I can. It's only every really running Plex 24/7, and I'm 99% sure it isn't that because it generally seems to be windows. Sometimes I run encoding using Handbrake (Uses high CPU but the PC still operates perfectly). After around 24 hours everything just becomes choppy and slow networking. Even browsing online is slow, and my other Windows 10 gaming PC (that isn't on all the time) runs snappy as new. Then once I restart my server, my PC is snappy as new again like my other PC. It's not practical.

What might be the cause of this? Why can't Windows run for long up-times? I never had issues like this with Windows 7. Also, I don't have any memory leaks, and my PC resources are well below high.

:)

KenKenco, Oct 8, 2018

2. Plex Media Server not working after Windows 10 updates

Plex Media Server worked under Windows 7 and continued to work after the upgrade to Windows 10. Yesterday Windows applied updates and not Plex appears to be running but cannot be view in the browser and is not seen on my LAN.

The url is :

http://127.0.0.1:32400/web

The response is:

Hmm, we can't reach this page.
    Try this

Command netstat -ao |find /I "listening"

showed 0.0.0.0:32400 is listening along with about 40 other ports on 0.0.0.0

and only ports 5354, 23401, and 27015 on 127.0.0.1

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this.

After posting this I found that the Plex server can be accessed using url:

localhost:32400/web

But the icon in the system tray uses 127.0.0.1:32400/web, which does not work.

I would still like help to make the icon link work, thanks.

MonsoonVic, Oct 8, 2018
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Plex Server no Longer Available on Roku TV

Hi,

Ever since the Latest update to Plex I can't Access my Windows 10 Based pc Server but... I can on my Zotac Mini PC which has Windows 7. A bug in the W10 Plex Software? Or a bug with Plex on the Roku TV with connection with W10?

It's the Plex on Roku TV that's bugged I think for connection with W10... With the Latest Program update

rk3066, Oct 8, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

uptime

Long periods of uptime for Linux is expected, but what about 600+ days of uptime on a Windows server?

Running Windows 10 Profession 24/7 Plex Server - Long Uptimes [​IMG]

Yes, the server is still in use, no it is not connected to the internet. I had to power it down after taking this screenshot to clone a failing hard drive.

newtekie1, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Windows 10 Profession 24/7 Plex Server - Long Uptimes - Similar Threads - Running Profession Plex

2. Windows 10 Desktop used as a PLEX server and file server for my house...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Desktop used as a PLEX server and file server for my house...: I have a WIN 10 PC with a processor/motherboard combination that can't be upgraded to WIN 11. It currently has 2 1TB SSD and 2 4TB HDD. The first issue I had was understanding how the storage pool was seeing and utilizing the drives. It's my wife's PC she uses while working...
  3. Windows 10 Desktop used as a PLEX server and file server for my house...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Desktop used as a PLEX server and file server for my house...: I have a WIN 10 PC with a processor/motherboard combination that can't be upgraded to WIN 11. It currently has 2 1TB SSD and 2 4TB HDD. The first issue I had was understanding how the storage pool was seeing and utilizing the drives. It's my wife's PC she uses while working...
  4. Windows 10 Desktop used as a PLEX server and file server for my house...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Which edition of Windows 10 for 24/7 uptime No updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Which edition of Windows 10 for 24/7 uptime No updates: Hi,I engineer a radio station that uses SAM broadcaster; we are upgrading from Windows 7 in the near future. I read somewhere that there is an industrial or embedded version of Windows 10 for systems that support services that cannot be restart and require an uptime of at...
  6. Windows 10 vs Windows Server, uptime?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 vs Windows Server, uptime?: Hello i want to use a old PC as 24/7 home "server". Is windows Server more stable when it comes to 24/7 uptime? Or won't it make any difference, and it is just more/less other tools sets? submitted by /u/Doovester [link] [comments]...
  7. Power Plan for Plex Server

Power Plan for Plex Server: Running a plex server from laptop, I have it set to never sleep. I'm not worried about power consumption only hardware degradation. Anyone here who's running plex do you keep your server on 24/7? submitted by /u/ImpossibleKFC [link] [comments]...
  8. What does a long uptime do??

What does a long uptime do??: I'm a junior system engineer and I already know that restarting a pc/laptop resolves about 50% of the issues users have. I Just had a user who worked with a docking, a laptop and two screens. both screens worked but only one showed up in the settings, there was a 5min...
  9. Plex Media Server with Windows 10...Network Path Not Found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Plex Media Server with Windows 10...Network Path Not Found: I recently found a good deal on a refurb HP Z420 workstation PC running windows 10 pro and decided to pick it up and use it as a dedicated Plex Media Server for my home network. I have it setup and on the network, but I can't seem to be able to share files to it. My main...
  10. 24 hours - It was a long haul

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    24 hours - It was a long haul: I bought a re-furbished tablet. Its a nice little guy made by ASUS. Its got a 10.5" screen and comes with an attachable keyboard. It was on sale for a price that I couldn't turn down. The 24 hours started this way. It came with a uninstalled "Windows 10 1607 14393.315"....