Windows 10: Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch!

Discus and support Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch! in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft plans to release an update early next year for the company's Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems that add support for SHA-2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 20, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch!

Microsoft plans to release an update early next year for the company's Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems that add support for SHA-2 update handling to them.

Updates are delivered using SHA-1 and SHA-2 currently. SHA-1 is a hashing algorithm with known weaknesses and Microsoft plans to do away with SHA-1 support in April 2019 to use SHA-2, an improved hashing algorithm, exclusively going forward.

While that is no problem for Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or the server equivalents, it is one for devices running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. The reason is simple: SHA-2 is not supported by these operating systems when it comes to updates.

Any update that is delivered as SHA-2 exclusively, better, signed using SHA-2, can't be verified on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 devices. Means, these updates don't get installed on devices running these versions of Windows anymore unless the SHA-2 update patch is installed first.

Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch! windows-7-server-2008-code-signing.png

Microsoft published a timeline of events on a new support page:

• February 2019: The SHA-2 update is included in the Preview of Monthly Rollup updates and available as a standalone update as well.
    • March 2019: The update is included in Monthly Rollup and Security-only updates for the operating systems.
    • April 2019: Starting in April, updates released in April 2019 or later will be delivered using SHA-2 signing exclusively.
    • July 2019: WSUS 3.0 SP2 will require that SHA-2 support is installed. All Windows servicing will be SHA-2 only.

Updates released prior to April 2019 will still be offered as SHA-1 signed versions as it would potentially lock systems out completely from receiving Windows Updates.

Devices that don't have the SHA-2 patch installed won't get new updates starting in April 2019 until the patch is installed on these devices.

To protect your security, Windows operating system updates are dual-signed using both the SHA-1 and SHA-2 hash algorithms to authenticate that updates come directly from Microsoft and were not tampered with during delivery. Due to weaknesses in the SHA-1 algorithm and to align to industry standards Microsoft will only sign Windows updates using the more secure SHA-2 algorithm exclusively.

As Woody Leonhard notes, it is critical that Microsoft gets the patch right the first time it is put out there in the open as there is little time to fix any issues that might come up.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch! appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 20, 2018
  2. [Ion] Win User

Free Windows Server 2008 (and 2008 R2) for students

Microsoft recently added Windows Server 2008 R2 to Dreamspark, so now Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 are available for free to any student enrolled in a class at any of the universities on their list. Windows Server 2008 R2 can be converted so that it is like Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 can be converted so that it is like Vista. I'm still running XP Pro, but only until I find a free antivirus program for server operating systems *Roll Eyes Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch! :rolleyes:

[Ion], Nov 20, 2018
  3. alexp999 Win User
    Microsoft Officially RTMs Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the next versions of its flagship desktop and server operating systems. With the completion of this development phase, industry partners are readying products in time for the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 worldwide general launches. Windows 7 will be generally available to customers around the world on October 22, and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be generally available on or before that date. As always, current customers of the Windows Volume Licensing program, Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscribers and TechNet subscribers will be among the first to get customer access to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 in the coming weeks.

Microsoft will make the announcement on its Windows Team and Windows Server Blogs later today. More information about today's news is available via the following links:

Source: Microsoft

alexp999, Nov 20, 2018
  4. ASharp Win User

Windows 7 Bulldozer Patches

It says Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 on both pages. Unless maybe I'm missing something here.

ASharp, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Windows 7 or Server 2008? You will need this patch! - Similar Threads - Running Server 2008

2. Windows activation server 2008

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation server 2008: Unable to generate Windows Activation Product Key, through Installation ID, it is saying that Installation ID is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-server-2008/77a56e37-cc7d-4ebd-a0ff-467cefcc8a67
  3. Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2: Hello All, Please anyone help I have HP Server Gen7 with AMD processor running windows server 2008 SP1 R2, I want to install Bluekeep and wannacry security patches, to resolve vulnerability issue raised by audit team, I have downloaded the patches for that OS but when i...
  4. Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2: Hello All, Please anyone help I have HP Server Gen7 with AMD processor running windows server 2008 SP1 R2, I want to install Bluekeep and wannacry security patches, to resolve vulnerability issue raised by audit team, I have downloaded the patches for that OS but when i...
  5. 0Patch promises 2 additional years of security patches for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 News
    0Patch promises 2 additional years of security patches for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will get at least an additional 2 years of security updates, courtesy of the micro-patching solution 0Patch. [ATTACH] Microsoft introduced Extended Security Updates for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 when the operating systems ran out of...
  6. How to install latest Patches in Windows 2008 r2 Server.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install latest Patches in Windows 2008 r2 Server.: Hi All,can someone please help me to update the latest patches in server 200r2 without activating extended licence support. waiting for your reply.thanks Abdul...
  7. How to install latest Patches in Windows 2008 r2 Server.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install latest Patches in Windows 2008 r2 Server.: Hi All,can someone please help me to update the latest patches in server 200r2 without activating extended licence support. waiting for your reply.thanks Abdul...
  8. Server 2008 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Server 2008 to Windows 10: Our office has a PC running Server 2008. It's no longer required as a server. Can Windows 10 be installed on it, using the Server 2008 licence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/server-2008-to-windows-10/3f60bf4e-9f74-4e10-8258-e1504297604a
  9. 0Patch to support Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 with security patches after official support end

in Windows 10 News
    0Patch to support Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 with security patches after official support end: Microsoft plans to end support for the company's operating systems Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 in January 2020. Enterprise customers may purchase extensions to extend support by up to three years and some other exceptions apply that extend official support. Most...
  10. If you get Windows Update error 0x80092004 on Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 do this

in Windows 10 News
    If you get Windows Update error 0x80092004 on Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 do this: Microsoft released updates for all supported versions of Windows -- client and server -- on the August 2019 Patch Day. You can check out our overview of the updates if you have not done so already. Reports suggest that some administrators and home users face issues with the...