Windows 10: Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space?

Discus and support Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Today I was running some casual spring cleaning on my PC to free up disk space. After deleting old blender files, moving OBS captures to my mass... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Huhratio, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space?

Today I was running some casual spring cleaning on my PC to free up disk space. After deleting old blender files, moving OBS captures to my mass storage and such, I managed to clear up a neat amount of space on my SSD, which I had noticed had come around to 101 GB of free space after it was all said and done. After that, I decided to run a quick Defender scan, and as I ran it, I noticed the available space on my drive gradually decreasing until it has now hit 98.2 GB. Talk about consumption! I was not downloading any sort of updates as this happened and I'm wondering if this is a phenomenon others have experienced as well. Could it be that the scan sorta surveyed my available space in a way and discovered that it was overshooting what I had available, or do these scans log info related to the scan that can weigh up to nearly 3GBS?

submitted by /u/Huhratio
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Huhratio, Jul 26, 2020

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 26, 2020
  3. How do I get Windows Defender to run a daily scan?

Hi Bill,

To run the Windows Defender automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps on this link:

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender.

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space?

Defender not Running Regular Scan

I've never understood the need some people feel to set up a scheduled task to run a Defender scan. For the past year the automatic maintenance has run Defender scans for me.

That is, until the Anniversary Upgrade - it broke something and Defender never ran another scan. It finally alerted me that a scan was long overdue. I followed the suggestion on another thread...
    Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan
    ...and the automatic maintenance scans are back to running regularly again.

Thema:

Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space?

1. Running Windows Defender Scan appears to have consumed storage space? - Similar Threads - Running Defender Scan

2. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  3. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  4. Too much storage space consumed in my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too much storage space consumed in my PC: I only have limited apps and files saved in my PC however my storage or C drive shows in red. I perform disk clean up and delete temp files but it found nothing. I should have a lot of free space in my storage why it is getting worse?...
  5. Too much storage space consumed in my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much storage space consumed in my PC: I only have limited apps and files saved in my PC however my storage or C drive shows in red. I perform disk clean up and delete temp files but it found nothing. I should have a lot of free space in my storage why it is getting worse?...
  6. Too much storage space consumed in my PC

7. Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources: Windows defender's scan named as "Anti-malware service executable" simply is consuming a lot of resources and is constantly running in the background. And further, if we do a manual full scan if just peeking the CPU usage I have a i5-10th gen- upper midrange, just imagine the...
  8. Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources

Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources: Windows defender's scan named as "Anti-malware service executable" simply is consuming a lot of resources and is constantly running in the background. And further, if we do a manual full scan if just peeking the CPU usage I have a i5-10th gen- upper midrange, just imagine the...
  9. Storage Spaces saying no free space, but I appear to have ~6TB of space free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage Spaces saying no free space, but I appear to have ~6TB of space free: Album with a few photos showing the issue and my configuration. This issue is likely of mine own doing, but I don't know enough about Storage Spaces to know where I went wrong. I began the pool with 4x8TB drives, then added 2x10TB drives later on. I recently safely removed...
  10. Windows Defender not running scans

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not running scans: I wonder if anyone can identify why Windows Defender has suddenly, i.e. the last day or two, stopped running scans on my home PC? The product is up to date: [img] If I attempt to scan a folder of file, the screen above appears and sometimes the scan will run, but more...