Windows 10: Running XP Software in Windows 10

Discus and support Running XP Software in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have software that will only run on XP. it is a database with years of contacts and text templales that I still use extensively. what is the best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jerbru, Oct 28, 2016.

1. jerbru Win User

Running XP Software in Windows 10

I have software that will only run on XP.
    it is a database with years of contacts and text templales that I still use extensively.
    what is the best way to set this up under Windows 10?

| read about VMware on here but my knowledge level is limited. Enongh to be dangerous.

What the are the limitations of this approach.
    Thanks

:)

jerbru, Oct 28, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Oct 28, 2016
  3. Is it possible to dual boot the Windows 10 PC to Windows XP

Depending on the age of the laptop, if its a new system that came preinstalled with Windows 10, it likely doesn't support Windows XP.

If you need to use Windows XP for legacy purposes, you are best off doing so in a virtual machine.

Learn more about setting up Windows XP using the free Oracle VirtualBox software:

Run Older or Incompatible Software on Windows 10 in a ... - groovyPost

Andre Da Costa, Oct 28, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Running a virtual machine can work and can be problematic, sometimes at the same time. A question to be asked is whether hardware is required and if the host machine can support the need such as a floppy drive. Many newer computers don't have motherboard and/or BIOS capability for a floppy drive but maybe an External USB Floppy Drive will work if the OS installed on the VM can see the ports. My needs for floppy drives and Zip drives has been solved by keeping a WinXP computer.

What program was used to create the data? Some programs can still run on the 32-bit version of Win10, at least for the basics, but more advanced features may be problems. I've successfully installed older versions of Microsoft Office on Win10 such as Office 2000, Office XP/2002 but didn't check their Access and Outlook except that they would open properly. The 64-bit version of Win10 does seem to have more problems with 16-bit programs and some 32-bit programs.

Berton, Oct 28, 2016
  5. dsmith888 Win User
    Hi jerbru,
    I was in a similar situation a while back. For me it was Paradox database app. I solved it by running Oracle's version of a virtual machine aka VirtualBox. The main limitation was that it asked me for the XP license which I no longer had. I can still get around this requirement but it's a bit of a hack with using unintended keystrokes to bypass the license activation. A little annoying but it works enough for me. Otherwise everything else worked fine. I did not use external devices, eg printer, lan , wifi etc so no comment on that aspect.

dsmith888, Oct 29, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You can buy xp licences for less than £15.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2016
  7. jerbru Win User
    Thanks folks for your suggestions. going to try the virtual machine. I have xp license.

jerbru, Nov 4, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

Corel Paradox 10, just runs Fine in Windows 10 / 8.1 - Just install it and it runs normal with default settings.
    Only missing is the Help32 support in W10, but there are workarounds for it.

If there is no way to run Software in W10 , probably the only Solution will be a Virtual Machine, I can recommend VirtualBox from Oracle, it is totally Free and is very good.

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running XP Software in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Running Software

2. This app can't run on your pc, check with your software publishers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This app can't run on your pc, check with your software publishers: I completely deleted all files from my laptop and started it as it was facing problems. Later i tried to download Google Chrome but it says that this app can't run on my pc. I already tried running a troubleshoot and it didnt work. I also tried to run in compatibility mode....
  3. This app can't run on your pc, check with your software publishers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This app can't run on your pc, check with your software publishers: I completely deleted all files from my laptop and started it as it was facing problems. Later i tried to download Google Chrome but it says that this app can't run on my pc. I already tried running a troubleshoot and it didnt work. I also tried to run in compatibility mode....
  4. This app can't run on your pc, check with your software publishers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...: Hi I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro to replace a older one which the hard drive failed. The software I need to use doesn't operate correctly on Windows 11 but it worked perfectly well on Windows 10 Professional. How can I replace the Windows 11 with Windows 10.I have...
  6. I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...

I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...: Hi I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro to replace a older one which the hard drive failed. The software I need to use doesn't operate correctly on Windows 11 but it worked perfectly well on Windows 10 Professional. How can I replace the Windows 11 with Windows 10.I have...
  7. App can't run on your computer contact software publisher

App can't run on your computer contact software publisher: App can't run on your computer contact software publisher https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-cant-run-on-your-computer-contact-software/0c726de5-d25e-4d5e-b781-89546ab18a68
  8. App can't run on your computer contact software publisher

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App can't run on your computer contact software publisher: App can't run on your computer contact software publisher https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-cant-run-on-your-computer-contact-software/0c726de5-d25e-4d5e-b781-89546ab18a68
  9. this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error when installing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error when installing...: when trying to install dji driver for windows i get this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error. is there a way to fix this without going and changing in reg files? its kinda annoying! i cant install drivers for my dji controller...
  10. this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error when installing...

this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error when installing...: when trying to install dji driver for windows i get this publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine error. is there a way to fix this without going and changing in reg files? its kinda annoying! i cant install drivers for my dji controller...