Windows 10: Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU

Discus and support Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, i just want to start by saying that i know it may seem like i'm rambling a bit, but i'm very stressed out at the moment. I'm running windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kart, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Kart Win User

Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU

Hello, i just want to start by saying that i know it may seem like i'm rambling a bit, but i'm very stressed out at the moment.
    I'm running windows 10 Home 64-bit
    The process runtimebroker is eating up a lot of cpu for me. I have looked deeply into this problem, but no matter what solution i find, none of them seem to work. i have tried disabling it through registry edit, and i have turned off notifications
    None of these have worked for me, and it is really getting to me. i am stressed out and worried.
    if anyone can find a way to help me, i would be very thankful!

:)

Kart, Aug 5, 2015

2. Runtime Broker Parameters

Every 90 seconds or so, Runtime Broker (Time Broker in Services) fires-up and consumes about 25% of my CPU cycles. I can start Task Manager and end the task from there, but it just restarts every minute or two. Every time my cooling fan speeds up, I look
    in Task Manager, and there Runtime Broker is, consuming 20% - 30% of CPU time.

I have gone to the Services dialog and "Stop"ed "Time Broker", but this seems to have no effect on Runtime Broker starting up again.

Are there Start parameters I could give Time Broker (in the Services window, right-click on Time Broker, choose Properties) that would limit the amount of CPU cycles it consumes? If it performs some necessary function, I'd be OK with it running if it wouldn't
    take over and hog most of the usable CPU time.

Qualls{'David'}, Aug 5, 2015
  3. NigelAves Win User
    Runtime Broker eating memory and CPU time / disk access. (Solution for my machine)

I was an avid Win7 (why did I upgrade I ask myself to 10) and utilized the "library" function to full advantage.

After upgrading to Win10 I started to notice that the process Runtime Broker was using 30+% CPU and Memory usages over 2.5 Gigabyte and continually accessing the disk. Sadly there seems to be 100's and 100's of people suffering from this, earliest post I
    found was October 2012 in Win8. From what I can tell MS have done nothing to solve this issue in over three years.

I have spent hours and hours following advice. Edit the registry, all to no avail. Even if I turned off (disabled) the Time Broker service it would still start the Runtime Broker.

I'm a photographer and have 1000's and 1000's of photographs (to be exact 110,622 files in 1,859 folders.) And because this top level directory was in my Win7 Library the Windows built in App "Windows Live Photo Gallery" was somehow in Win10 (and for no
    known reason as I never use it) was triggering this Runtime Broker. I open the App and removed the folder from the tree view.

I have since done exactly the same thing with this "Groove" App.

Since doing this I have had no issues at all with "CPU, Memory and Disk usages". So, if you have the old library pointing to very large number of files / directories (as I did) you might want to make sure that NO Microsoft App is trying to access them behind
    the scenes, this could well be what's causing Runtime Broker to be so misbehaved.

Note. When I used the Resource Manager (before my fix) Runtime Broker was trying to access a large number of directories simultaneously, each one requiring very large amounts of memory.

So, if I was you MS, I would (3 years latter) re-design this Runtime Broker to work correctly when dealing with a large number of files spread over many directories. And if this real is a "memory leak", then it is all your software doing it. BTW - 100's
    and 100's of people are suffering from this issue.

Hope this helps somebody.

NigelAves, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU

1. Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU - Similar Threads - Runtime Broker Using

2. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Runtime Broker: Hey everyone, I don’t really need help just was curious. I saw 3-4 runtime broker processes running in my task manager and wanted to know if that’s typical. They use a very small amount of ram and I’ve done some googling and know what the process does but can’t find anything...
  3. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Customization
    runtime broker: Windows defender keeps blocking something in drive c:...\runtimer broker.exe\trying to change something in %userprofile%\pictures I'm getting 40 plus notifications a day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/53b556fe-9bf6-48aa-a73c-de5932fe380f
  4. Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Photos and Runtime Broker using 30% CPU: So I have had this issue for a little while now. It showed up in the CPU usage graph of Afterburner hardware monitor, which I have running on my gaming PC at all times to keep tabs on my system. This CPU graph would be at 5% for a couple of seconds, and then go up to 30% for...
  5. The CPU load is higher if a large amount of memory is used !?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The CPU load is higher if a large amount of memory is used !?: I am asking this question thinking at Windows search service and other. I get'it, indexing files make them more easy and fast to access, reducing the time needed to find them, implicit the CPU usage, but, if I have a very old computer, it is good to stop this service since I...
  6. Runtime broker !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime broker !: For quite a few weeks now I seem to be getting this message fairly frequently when I click on "Setting's" in Windows 10. As anyone got any ideas what is causing it ? RuntimeBroker The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation ! Read...
  7. Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage: after upgrading to windows 10 my laptop fan always working fast ... when i checked this issue, i see runtime broker in task manager with high resourse usage ... when i click on end task, everything be normal... but runtime broker run itselft immediately ... i googled this...
  8. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Runtime Broker: Hi there. My CPU temp kept being elevated. After doing a lot of troubleshooting and also reseating and applying fresh thermal paste, I finally realized that the CPU load was causing a serious problem, and it all pointed to Runtime Broker. When I delete the task, my CPU temp...
  9. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Support
    runtime broker: This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless 9301
  10. Runtime Broker consuming laptop CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker consuming laptop CPU: Hi. Runtime Broker starts-runs and consumes allmost all CPU-time. Laptop fan keeps running until I stop the process. Tried different suggestions but it still keeps starting. E.g. disabling time broker service. Problem still occurs for some reason. Please help with how...