Windows 10: Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View

Discus and support Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Version 1909 the Runtime Error discussed at the following: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/145996-runtime-errors.html was opened on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BradWP, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BradWP Win User

Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View

Version 1909

the Runtime Error discussed at the following: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/145996-runtime-errors.html

was opened on the 9/12/2019 and appears they discovered a work around to resolve the errors being generating in Control Panel.

There's been 2 updated since then:

• December 10, 2019—KB4530684 OS Builds 18362.535 and 18363.535

• January 14, 2020—KB4528760 OS Builds 18362.592 and 18363.592
    Still the problem persists,

Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View 617aaee3-83d5-4bb2-928e-e09dc395f327?upload=true.png

The latest update info found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4528760

claims the following:

“Known issues in this update

Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update”.

Seeing as this is not acknowledged as a problem, is this how we are now expected to view Reliability Monitor i.e. not to use Category View or has this been accepted as a problem and will be patched shortly.

By the way this was not a problem in 1903.

:)

BradWP, Jan 23, 2020
  2. YanAndrew Win User

The Control Panel (Category View)

My apologies, Brink but I still do not get it.

The steps for both options are identical, the only difference is the location of the desired icons will need to be accessible for all users for Option 2. That's it.

Moreover, both the Mail and Flash Player (32-bit) applets are not listed in the list of Control Panel items for both options.

Regards,
    Andrew

YanAndrew, Jan 23, 2020
  3. YanAndrew Win User
    The Control Panel (Category View)

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the GUIDs for the Control Panel (Category View) applets:

Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View [​IMG]

I'm trying to customise these icons without using a third party software.

Appreciate any advise / guidance.

Regards,

YanAndrew, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Crizal Win User

Runtime Errors

Just a quick new observation. On my system, not using Cliff's method -- going into Control Panel under the category view and going to any of the listings will cause the error. However, changing the Control Panel view to icons, pinning any of the icons to start menu, not just Security and Maintenance, will not generate the error when opening from the start menu.

I sure hope someone can wake-up Microsoft, but it's nice to have the workaround.

- - - Updated - - -

@OldMike65, @Slippery, @Cliff S --

I just narrowed down the exact cause of the Runtime error on my machine. Control Panel cannot be in category view. All I did was switch the view to either small icons or large icons, ran CCleaner to get rid of any errors, unpinned Security and Maintenance from start menu. Just opened CP by typing Control Panel in search and then went to Security and Maintenance to check Reliability History. No errors and no need to pin anything to start menu unless I want to do it. So, in my case, all I had to do after three weeks of grief was to change CP's view to either small or large icons. Who would've thought ……….

Crizal, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View - Similar Threads - Runtime Errors Result

2. Runtime error in Microsoft Exchange control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Runtime error in Microsoft Exchange control panel: We have MS Exchange 2019 CU12 . All was fine and today we are not able to open ECP or Admin center and getting the error: Server Error in '/ecp' Application.Runtime ErrorDescription: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred...
  3. Runtime error in Microsoft Exchange control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Runtime error in Microsoft Exchange control panel: We have MS Exchange 2019 CU12 . All was fine and today we are not able to open ECP or Admin center and getting the error: Server Error in '/ecp' Application.Runtime ErrorDescription: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred...
  4. error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.: I can't open Control PanelWhen i try open Control Panel, windows show this error message:We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'. To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.and link of Learn more is not working...
  5. Control Panel view

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Control Panel view: How do I restore Windows view in Control panel from Classic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-view/e8746c43-4729-477d-b527-5e6acc5230a0
  6. Change control panel categories icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change control panel categories icons: In this tutorial explains how to change control panel icons, but some of them are missing, (all in categories list) Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 [img] How to change them? 146282
  7. SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View: Hey everyone first post here on the windows subreddit. I have tried searching for my issue and while I found many answers regarding SearchUI.exe, Cortana, and the Control Panel I haven't found anything specific to what I am experiencing. I've run into a strange issue that I...
  8. Control Panel Applets (Category View)

Control Panel Applets (Category View): Hello All, I was just wondering if anyone knows where or how I can get hold of the CLSID (GUIDs) for the Control Panel Applets in Category View in the image below: [img] Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you. Regards, Andrew 139570
  9. The Control Panel (Category View)

The Control Panel (Category View): Hi Guys, Does anyone know the GUIDs for the Control Panel (Category View) applets: [img] I'm trying to customise these icons without using a third party software. Appreciate any advise / guidance. Regards, 129497
  10. How do I save Control Panel in Category view?

How do I save Control Panel in Category view?: Is there a way to save the Control Panel in Category view rather than small icon view? I know how to change it. I just don't know how to save that change. 64297