Windows 10: Rural User Microwave Dish via POE Connection - HELP - 3 Dead Routers

Discus and support Rural User Microwave Dish via POE Connection - HELP - 3 Dead Routers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 3 dead routers, all of varying quality. Netgear TP Link D-link All three devices were properly installed and worked flawlessly for a week or 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by loaba, Sep 17, 2016.

1. loaba Win User

Rural User Microwave Dish via POE Connection - HELP - 3 Dead Routers

3 dead routers, all of varying quality.

Netgear
    TP Link
    D-link

All three devices were properly installed and worked flawlessly for a week or 2 or 3. All three devices failed in one of two ways. The Netgear and the TP Link simply stopped connecting via the POE. The D-link has been a bit more resilient in that it has not completely failed, just provides spotty internet connection. Netflix will not stream via WIFI-connected devices and the one PC that is hardwired simply won't load pages after 1 or 2 sites have been accessed. When the router is removed from the equation, a single PC connected to the dish via the POE does work reliably.

It's just that simple - something, I don't know what it could be - is impeding and or killing wireless routers that are connected to the POE.

This issue is completely beyond my ken - help me, Ten Forums, you're my only hope.

:)

loaba, Sep 17, 2016

2. Feature suggestion: Permit the user to select a time range when updates occur

Many users have limited network capacity. METER ON works fine to prevent updates, but not available if the user is connected to the router or modem via a Ethernet cable...not wireless. However DISH, for example, permits the user unlimited internet
    capacity from 2:00 to 8:00 AM. So if the user could specify a time range it would be very helpful. Currently I disable the Windows Update service, then enable once a week, which is tedious.

MikeMansfield, Sep 17, 2016
  3. Mario7net Win User
    How to disable Apps Store in Win10?

I want to use my computer as a computer, to run computer programs,

not an household appliance (fridge, microwave-oven, dish-washer)

If I wanted APPS then I would buy an Apple MAC.

Mario7net, Sep 17, 2016
  4. loaba Win User

Did some research regarding WIFI and RF interference. Haven't found anything concrete, but sometimes a microwave oven can impede or degrade a WIFI signal. My PC is in the kitchen and we do have an aforementioned oven. Unplugged it and there was no improvement? Is that because the damage is already done or because the unit wasn't the problem to begin with?

loaba, Sep 18, 2016
  5. bookfox Win User
    You are correct, the microwave oven will cause interference for wifi - when the microwave oven is actually on/actively being used. Just having it plugged in to power isn't an issue. I have a couple thoughts; One, I understand all three routers worked to start with, but have you checked the routers settings/ISP spec as to whether the router is set correctly? Maybe it needs to be manually set to obtain its internet via POE? Also checked there aren't any of your devices getting conflicted IPs? I had an issue once where if I turned my TV on to stream Netflix via wifi, then turned on my cell phone's wifi, the cell phone wouldn't get internet - and vice versus. Once I realized they were getting the same local IP, I reserved a different IP (in the router) for both of them and problem solved. Maybe yours is doing something similar? Another thing I would check - at least in the netgear - is if it has QOS enabled?

bookfox, Sep 18, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Doubtful the Microwave oven has any issues. Why are you using POE adapters with the Gateway's? Also keep in mind that if the line is not properly protected and grounded with a Lightning protector. Any poor electrical, improper grounding or loose Neutrals and grounds, can end up causing voltage to go back to the dish and come back in through the coaxial stinger, thus frying the Ethernet ports and chipsets.

Take off any POE adapters and leave the Coax connected to the dish with nothing attached that can power it. Take a Digital Multi-Meter and check from the block outside that is supposed to be connected to the ground at the meter and see if you get any voltage. Then go out to the dish and attach a length of wire to a ground rod in the ground to see what the voltage difference is between Earth and the dish metal. After that, you need to go get a Orange extension cord that are always cheep and remove the two prongs for the Hot and Neutral, leaving the Ground pin in. Plug into an outlet on the house and take it out to the dish to see if you get any voltage on the meter. Same thing with checking an outlet ground and the block on the side of the house for the coax to the dish.

All said and done, if you find any voltage on that coax or dish with no power going to it to power the LNB, you have issues at the house that you need to get an electrician in to go over the meter base connections and breaker panel connections. Power Company would check their side at the transformer for any corrosion.

L-com.com and Parts Express sell a Gas Discharge unit that screws on the ground block and then the coax attaches to that. Just make sure that the ground wire from the block is at least #10 and attaches directly to the ground rod or bare ground wire for the Meter. This IEEE book explains why it is so important that any attached Com, Antenna & Satellite lines have to be properly grounded. http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf

bro67, Sep 19, 2016
  7. loaba Win User
    The Netgear Router was stellar and it's QoS was a breeze to set up.

The dish in question gets its power from PowerDsing 3001 POE box, so I'm stuck with that.

bro67 - thanks for the information. I do believe I may be dealing with crappy home electrics. My setup is on a kitchen wall with two outlets, one side works and the other doesn't. I didn't think much of it, but your description of a voltage burst round-trip pretty much matches my results.

I'll run through your tests and see what's what.

loaba, Sep 19, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Corrosion on the taps at the meter or transformer is usually the culprit.

Sorry for the long post. That is about as simple as I could get on troubleshooting the problem. It is basically a problem when let go for too long.

Any Aluminum wiring if there is, including the drop to the house, should have Noalox and proper connectors, along with all panel connections tight.

bro67, Sep 20, 2016
  9. loaba Win User
    I'm fairly certain that the electrical line the PC is on will test as leaky - in that case, would a decent UPS be a good way to mitigate the problem?

loaba, Sep 20, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    No, since you would not have a good ground and any loose connections can cause arcing which would trip the UPS too many times. If you are comfortable with turning off the main breaker and check every screw inside the panel to make sure they are tight, pull each breaker to check for any signs of arcing, that is the easy part. The hard part is taking out the outlets and checking them.

Now of course with the gear that is connected directly to the receiver for the LNB, it could be a failing SWiM, or the ground is carrying voltage which can be confirmed with a quick meter reading at the block on the house to a ground point like the Meter pan if you know that it is grounded.

When we had our siding replaced, I ended up correcting stuff that the contractors caused. Such as pulling outlets away from the house before I could disconnect the wiring, which led to tripping breakers. It also gave me a chance to install a GFCI outlet for my line out to my garage and also a known good ground point, so that I would not have to dig out where the ground rod is.

I took the CATV, DSL, Satellite and grounded to the ground wire on the ground rod with a Split bolt. I had some #8 solid laying around from when I ripped out all of the original and messed up wiring in our house when we moved in and had a new panel put in place.

I had an issue with an imblance of legs that the city utility that supplies our power came out and pulled the meter and then checked their end and to the panel. They did notice a bit of corrosion and tool the meter and plugged it in and pulled it a few times to get rid of that corrosion. After that no imbalance and no leaking of current to the ground that I was getting at the panel.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Rural User Microwave Dish via POE Connection - HELP - 3 Dead Routers - Similar Threads - Rural User Microwave

2. Router connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Router connection: I am running windows 10 with no problems except my router.My computer will not connect via ethernet using the cable supplied or any other cable.I have to use wifi instead.I have had the router checked by Vodafone & all is fine.The cables have been checked by BTOpenreach & all...
  3. Connecting to the Router

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting to the Router: A recent Windows Update July 2020 has left my laptop automatically connecting to the Internet via the router even at start-up, and even though the option to "Connect Automatically" is in the off position / has not been selected. Sometimes, if I do a "Restart", the machine...
  4. Dish anywhere

Dish anywhere: How do I install dish anywhere to my windows 10 on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dish-anywhere/048b22a5-5aef-4018-aecd-ff957fdff3f6
  5. sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router: [Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004. OS Build 19569.rs_prerelease.200214-1419] I have recently moved and it is no longer physically possible to connect my desktop PC to the internet via an Ethernet connection to my TRENDnet TEW-711BR H/W:V1.1RU wireless router....
  6. wire from POE injector in to keystone jack THEN router. (will it work?

wire from POE injector in to keystone jack THEN router. (will it work?: I purchased a ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO (for my house) which I will using with a POE injector. The cable coming OUT of the injector would typically be plugged into the router directly. however, I plan on putting my injector behind the wall. My question is.... I already have a...
  7. Connecting with Dish Anywhere with Edge

Connecting with Dish Anywhere with Edge: Dish Anywhere says Edge is not compatible. Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-with-dish-anywhere-with-edge/e911d0d3-ecb6-48fb-be7c-d831c52f36b7
  8. how do i connect to router via cable?

how do i connect to router via cable?: how do I connect my laptop to my wireless router via a cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-connect-to-router-via-cable/f2d95c58-3c97-4ee3-bccc-860cfae08681
  9. PoE Cameras

in Windows 10 Support
    PoE Cameras: About home surveillance cameras. The CC cameras require two wires, one for data and one for power. Then there are the wi-fi cams.The (wi-fi cams can be re-routed for PoE) new PoE camera only use a Cat5e or Cat6E and the one cable transmits power and data on the same cable....
  10. One computer only connecting to Internet via Ethernet in Router

One computer only connecting to Internet via Ethernet in Router: Hi everyone, Currently my setup is modem-> Asus 68U Router-> 24 port switch There are a couple of things that go direct to my router, but for the most part everything goes into the switch including 3 different computers. Yesterday that power went out at my house and...