Windows 10: Ryzen 1700 OS issues

Discus and support Ryzen 1700 OS issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just bought Ryzen 1700. There are issues apparently. Like Balanced profile doesn't really go well with the new features that the processor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dorian Hawkmoon, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Ryzen 1700 OS issues

I have just bought Ryzen 1700. There are issues apparently. Like Balanced profile doesn't really go well with the new features that the processor has...or doesn't utilize them properly. AMD suggested Performance power profile. Also there are problems with HPET? Performance profile nudges up the temps. I'm using it, but this is obviously a temporary fix, isn't it? I have no idea about the HPET...I won't touch the BIOS, there is an OS option, but I dont know about that. Good or bad. Anybody here thinking about these issues - opinions, suggestions?

:)

Dorian Hawkmoon, Mar 5, 2017

2. Latest Windows 10 update failed

Runnimg Ryzen 7 1700, Asus prime X370-Pro. Latest Widows update hangs at 33%.

Wayne Askey, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Which processor should I buy for gaming and movies?

Go for Ryzen 1700 (8C / 16T core)+ B350

This cpu is perfect for multitasking and gaming in a Windows 10.

Lyrrad ✨, Mar 5, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Ryzen 1700 OS issues

As you are on a desktop, you should not be using balanced profile but high performance which will make maximum use of your CPU.

I have seen some Youtube reviewers mention this problem with the balance profile.

swarfega, Mar 5, 2017
  5. BRKKAB Win User
    Yeah, why aren't you using a High Performance power setting on a desktop pc?. Balanced power plan and the lower power plan are both for laptops/ultrabooks/tablets to save battery power so the battery takes longer to need charging.
    Neither are for desktop pc's which need constant electricity to work.
    As mentioned above watch some YouTube videos on your Ryzen 1700 cpu, especially so if you play games a lot on your pc.

Also, check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any UEFI & driver updates, too.

BRKKAB, Mar 5, 2017
  6. Yes, I changed to High performance profile. (Used to have Balanced to manage the temps, you know cool'n'quiet and whatnot because India is an oven in the summer). Still think windows isn't using the new cpu properly. Am on the lookout for new drivers. The HPET stuff I don't know. Nowadays is BIOS upgrades safe for beginners (like me)?

7. Jack07 Win User
    WTF, no it's not. Why would you want a CPU at 3-4Ghz while surfing the web, watching a movie, doing office stuff or idling?
    That's 3x more power consumption and a lot of heat for nothing.

@Dorian Hawkmoon
    Do you have any issues, slowdowns in games or the CPU is hot while idling?
    Until these things get patched up you could make a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between power plans.

Jack07, Mar 5, 2017
  8. Ryzen 1700 OS issues

CPU is running a bit hot. I know it's an eight core, but still. Idling 51c is a bit warmer even in here!
    How do I do that, is it safe changing plans that frequently?

9. Jack07 Win User
    Here is how to make a shortcut, yes it's safe: Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Switch Power Plans

I think 51C is about right if it's idling in high performance profile with stock cooler.

If you get 51C in idle while using the Balanced profile then maybe it's really hot where you are, you don't have a good air flow in you case, improper cooler installation, windows not managing well..
    Use something like Aida64 and see if the frequency/temps drop while in idle using the Balanced profile.

Jack07, Mar 5, 2017
  10. Thanks!
    Okay. I see. It is about 47-50 in balanced, and 51-52 in performance mode. Stock cooler. I'm changing my aging case soon. Let's see. Planning on Antec GX505 at a discount at local retailer's. Can't afford anything else available here.

11. pparks1 Win User
    Because 90% of the time I am not doing anything that needs full power. No sense in wasting electricity.

pparks1, Mar 5, 2017
  12. Done. Assigned icons too Ryzen 1700 OS issues :) Balanced and Performance mode, two shortcuts.

13. jimbo45 Win User

Ryzen 1700 OS issues

Hi there

running 3 VM's most of the time, running 2 X PLEX media servers and 2 X Logitech media servers on a 16 GB Micro HP server with 4 HDD's (Raided at 2 X 9 TB each RAID 0) I have ZERO problems with a little Celeron processor in the server - average consumption is around 40 - 50 watts when serving media to around 3 clients concurrently. Not sure why you would need a "Steam hammer to crack a nut with".

Most bad computer performance for domestic machines is due to 3 things I've found over YEARS of working with PC's.

1) POOR or Slow HDD's --by far the most common issue these days.
    2) Lack of RAM
    3) Slow or inadequate Network speeds
    4) Junk Graphic cards
    5) Finally --well down on the list -- lack of CPU power. OK for extreme gamers this could be an issue but for 99% of Home type computer users things like 4 X or 8X i7 type processors are HUGELY overkill. Fix your I/O and Network stuff first.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2017
  14. Planning on a lot of gaming, with Andromeda and Prey releasing soon to PC! Hope to enjoy all the thrilling visuals and story-line. As well as playing Watchdogs 2. Replaying GTA V on high. And some editing.

Dorian Hawkmoon, Mar 6, 2017
  15. Much stable after latest bios updates and recent AMD optimized power plan add-on for win 10.

Dorian Hawkmoon, Apr 7, 2017
Thema:

Ryzen 1700 OS issues

1. Ryzen 1700 OS issues - Similar Threads - Ryzen 1700 issues

2. Why is AMD ryzen 1700 eight-core Not on windows 11 list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is AMD ryzen 1700 eight-core Not on windows 11 list: I would like to update my windows 10 to windows 11 but my processor is not on the list.I dont really know,1700 is good and powerfull.Can i expect that will be changed or can i recieve windows 11 for my processor....
  3. Why is AMD ryzen 1700 eight-core Not on windows 11 list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is AMD ryzen 1700 eight-core Not on windows 11 list: I would like to update my windows 10 to windows 11 but my processor is not on the list.I dont really know,1700 is good and powerfull.Can i expect that will be changed or can i recieve windows 11 for my processor....
  4. OS issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS issue: Hello. I just recently picked up a brand new MSI laptop and just got it in today. Upon opening the laptop I setup most of the things in the setup menu and then accidentally closed the laptop mid update for windows 11. Once starting the laptop back up, I was brought to the...
  5. OS issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS issue: Hello. I just recently picked up a brand new MSI laptop and just got it in today. Upon opening the laptop I setup most of the things in the setup menu and then accidentally closed the laptop mid update for windows 11. Once starting the laptop back up, I was brought to the...
  6. OS issue

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. AMD Ryzen issue while updating windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AMD Ryzen issue while updating windows: I am unable to update my windows due to the AMD Ryzen issue.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-ryzen-issue-while-updating-windows/a54c0cf3-a819-4831-9c55-7a71fdcbdb0c
  8. Another weird issue with Ryzen

in Windows 10 Support
    Another weird issue with Ryzen: Hello everyone, I searched the entered internet but no threads solved my problems, let me explain. It's the old "stuttering with ryzen problem" Yeah, there are thousands of threads with this problems but none of them fixed it for me. The problem started with my new PC...
  9. Is this an OS issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this an OS issue?: Whenever I start up my laptop now it is almost completely unusable. The screen flickers most of the time and sometimes goes completely black or white. Every now and again it randomly seems okay again. But only for a minute or so. I find that moving my mouse over search...
  10. os issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    os issue: I have purchased my new laptop few days back which came with Windows10 but my industrial software only Windows 7 32 bit supported and not install on windos 10 plz tell me how to install is it possible to change Windows 10 to Windows 7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgraded to ryzen 1700 screens goes black and hangs