Windows 10: S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

Discus and support S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, Aug 9, 2021.

1. jimhoyle Win User

S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3 (the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PlatformAoAcOverride=0 trick), then sleep mode results in pulsating power button LED. However, when trying to wake from that state, not only keyboard/mouse doesn't work for wakeup, but also pressing the power button results in a crash. Fans turn on, power light turns permanently on, but nothing else happens, no image on the screen. Only holding power down (shutdown) will help at that point. So in the S0 mode at least I can resume from sleep using power button, but I can't resume with keyboard/mouse. How do I troubleshoot this? I tried maybe 15 different things already, nothing made any difference. When doing "powercfg /devicequery wake_armed" the keyboard and the mouse are listed. Also the laptop's integrated keyboard doesn't wake the computer and I have done "[x] Allow this device to wake the computer" everywhere I can think of. Using Windows 10 version 21H1. - - - Updated - - - If I insert an old mouse into the USB-A port directly on the laptop, and go to sleep, the mouse does light up (gets power). But no matter how many times I click the mouse, the computer doesn't wake up (and I made sure "[x] Allow this device to wake the computer" is enabled).

:)

jimhoyle, Aug 9, 2021

2. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

The sleep I am referring to is obviously the connected or disconnected standby not the traditional S3 sleep, I think this is obvious from my reasoning.

The term “sleep” in a modern standby capable system is a synonymous of connected or disconnected standby since S3 traditional sleep is disabled when S0 low-power idle is enabled.

I really don’t see where you got the idea that I was referring to the traditional S3 sleep.

Maybe the term “sleep” confused you.

Mike 56473, Aug 9, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

S0 Modern standby is not sleep but a glorified idle condition. That's why it uses so much power - the computer is on during S0.

Denis

Try3, Aug 9, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Mike,

You do realise that Modern standby is not sleep? Modern standby is an idle condition.

It is rare for a computer that is capable of modern standby to be capable of sleep [S3]. You can find out what states a computer is capable of by entering this command
    Code:
    PowerCfg refers to modern standby as 'S0 Low Power Idle'.

Denis

Try3, Aug 9, 2021
Thema:

1. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep - Similar Threads - Low Power Idle

2. Wake On Lan and S0 power state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wake On Lan and S0 power state: Hello everyone,I have been using WOL for many years. I had to change the PC now W11 Pro and now I can't Google any working solution. I followed many tutorials including this one. I found out the problem is the Modern Standby state S0. This is my powercfg -a.The following...
  3. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  4. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  5. S0 low power idle is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    S0 low power idle is not supported: My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11uc with 11th gen Intel core i7 + rtx 3050 graphics card. My laptop is 2022 version. Why my laptop is not supporting s0 low power idle? I wanna know the reason and pls let me know the requirements to support that feature....
  6. S0 low power idle is not supported

S0 low power idle is not supported: My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11uc with 11th gen Intel core i7 + rtx 3050 graphics card. My laptop is 2022 version. Why my laptop is not supporting s0 low power idle? I wanna know the reason and pls let me know the requirements to support that feature....
  7. How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0: Hi, I am having alot of issues with modern standby i.e., S0. I would like to disable this & enable S3 i.e., the legacy sleep. I have checked that my laptop supports S3. It is only when S0 is enabled, S3 cannot be enabled. Can anyone help me how can I enable S3 and disable S0?...
  8. How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0

How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0: Hi, I am having alot of issues with modern standby i.e., S0. I would like to disable this & enable S3 i.e., the legacy sleep. I have checked that my laptop supports S3. It is only when S0 is enabled, S3 cannot be enabled. Can anyone help me how can I enable S3 and disable S0?...
  9. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby): For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and...
  10. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby): So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed! I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible. While in the "Resiliency Phase"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. s0 stand by mouse resume