Windows 10: Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

Discus and support Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've installed Win10 without UEFI/secure boot (a classic MBR drive with NTFS), a few days ago I used mbr2gpt to convert the system drive to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dexsk, Mar 23, 2018.

1. dexsk Win User

Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

Hello,

I've installed Win10 without UEFI/secure boot (a classic MBR drive with NTFS), a few days ago I used mbr2gpt to convert the system drive to GPT and then enabled UEFI and Secure Boot by enrolling the EFI keys from bootx64.efi in my BIOS. From that point I've lost the ability to boot into safe mode, anytime I try that, it wrecks booting to the point where right after startup it goes into automatic repair and then fails, BCD and Winload missing. I have to repair the EFI hidden partition with diskpart and bcdboot from command prompt inside the recovery environment to be able to boot up normally again, thankfully no install media needed, the bootloader looks unaffected.

Anyone with an idea on what it's about and how to fix it would be welcome *Smile
    Thanks

Dex

:)

dexsk, Mar 23, 2018
  2. fablefox5 Win User

Stuck in boot error loop: The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

There is no Startup Repair option, these are the options available:

1) Enable debugging

2) Enable boot logging

3) Enable low-resolution video

4) Enable Safe Mode

5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking

6) Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt

7) Disable driver signature enforcement

8) Disable early launch anti-malware protection

9) Disable automatic restart after failure

Press Enter to return to your operating system.

fablefox5, Mar 23, 2018
  3. regsvr32 error at startup

Hi William,

I suggest you to boot to safe mode and check if you are able to boot and sign in properly. If the operating system is able to boot successfully and allows you to log on to your computer with an administrator account, entering into Windows 10 Safe Mode should
    be easy (and so would rectifying the issue). Boot the computer to Safe mode and check if it persists. Follow the steps given below to boot the computer in safe mode.

• Press Shift Key and then restart your computer,
    • Windows 10 will reboot and ask you to select an option. Choose Troubleshoot.
    • Then, on the Troubleshoot screen, select
      Advanced
      options.
    • On the Advanced
      options screen, choose
      Startup
      Settings.
    • Windows 10 notifies you that you can restart your device in order to change advanced boot options, including enabling
      Safe
      Mode. Press
      Restart.
    • After Windows 10 reboots, you can choose which boot options you want enabled. To get into
      Safe
      Mode, you have three different options.
    • To enable Safe
      Mode press the
      F4 key on your keyboard.
    Let us know the status of the issue.

PranavMishra5582, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

PolarNettles, Mar 23, 2018
  5. dexsk Win User
    Hello, my boot log wasn't showing anything unusual. I was able to fix this myself however, the GPT conversion didn't preserve the BCD entries and ReagentC config needed to run safe mode properly, after following the instructions here:
    https://www.winhelp.us/restore-windows-re.html

I was able to restore the OS as if it came cleanly installed.

dexsk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

1. Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot - Similar Threads - Safe mode unavailable

2. Is it safe to enable Secure Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to enable Secure Boot?: About to enable Secure Boot on my PC but I have many thoughts about it. Like, is it going to affect my data or my hardware components? Does it have any relationship to TPM, BitLocker, Windows Hello, and firmware updates like Intel ME firmware updates? Will enabling Secure...
  3. Is it safe to enable Secure Boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it safe to enable Secure Boot?: About to enable Secure Boot on my PC but I have many thoughts about it. Like, is it going to affect my data or my hardware components? Does it have any relationship to TPM, BitLocker, Windows Hello, and firmware updates like Intel ME firmware updates? Will enabling Secure...
  4. Is it safe to enable Secure Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode: I am locked out of Windows with the 'something went wrong and pin unavallable' messsage. Can't reset pin on login screen and don't know password. Safe mode not working, returns to the screen asking for password so I'm stuck in a loop...
  6. .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode: I am locked out of Windows with the 'something went wrong and pin unavallable' messsage. Can't reset pin on login screen and don't know password. Safe mode not working, returns to the screen asking for password so I'm stuck in a loop...
  7. .Pin unavailable can't boot in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Safe Mode unavailable and System Configuration boot tab inoperable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode unavailable and System Configuration boot tab inoperable: Hello All I need some technical advice to resolve an issue where safe mode is inoperable on my windows installation, and the only information I have available as to what could be wrong is an error code d000000f. I encountered that error code after trying to manually...
  9. Windows won’t boot after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won’t boot after enabling safe mode: So i tried to reinstall my GPU drivers so i went to msconfig and enabled in the boot tab the safe mode option but now my computer wont boot and its just black screen and nothing else...
  10. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot: How can I turn on this function, again? I have tried the following: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes as per online searches. But, I get the following message: >>The set command specified is not valid. >>Run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. d000000f safe mode