Windows 10: Safe to close laptop during restart?

Discus and support Safe to close laptop during restart? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't: Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asus2016, Aug 9, 2018.

1. asus2016 Win User

Safe to close laptop during restart?

This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't:

Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP Probook 450 G5) while it's restarting?

The background:

It's been more than 15 years since I used a laptop extensively, but I got one that I keep at my office and use for my primary computer there.

I like to restart at the end of the day, so my computer is ready to go, fresh, the next day. This is easy with a desktop, but a laptop seems more "vulnerable" just sitting there open, so my preference is to close it.

Two days ago, I restarted it, closed it, then opened it immediately to see what was happening, and the shutdown/restart sequence was continuing, so I closed it.

When I got to work the next day, it appeared that I had to start it from scratch. Then the display was wrong, and could only be set to 1024x768, or 800x600. I eventually looked at Device Manager, there was a yellow caution triangle over my display, and a check for drivers found and downloaded and installed an updated one, which fixed the display. Cannot imagine how a month-old laptop would have had this problem, so I'm blaming it on my closing the laptop during restart.

So in addition to the initial question, I would also wonder:
    • When is the optimal time to close a laptop?
    • If a laptop is closed when not in use, when/how does it automatically get Windows updates?

:)

asus2016, Aug 9, 2018

2. Laptop will not close down

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. What troubleshooting steps have you perform to fix the issue?

2. Does the issue occur when you open any program or pertains to a specific program?

I would suggest that you perform the methods mentioned below and check if the issue persist:

Method 1: Power troubleshooter.

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
      • Click on “View All” left panel.
      • Click Power, new window will popup the follow the on screen instruction.
    Method 2: Safe Mode.

Log into safe mode open the programs, try to shut down your system and check if the issue persist. To do so follow the steps below:

• Open Run Command (Windows button +R)
    • A dialog box will open type “msconfig”
    • Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.
    • Restart Computer
    Note: Follow the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Laptop is suddenly closed down while working

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

• What is the complete error message that you receive?
    • How often does it close down?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5
    for Safe Mode with networking.

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit Enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press
    Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Safe to close laptop during restart?

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Safe to close laptop during restart?

1. Safe to close laptop during restart? - Similar Threads - Safe close laptop

2. I accidently closed my laptop during an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I accidently closed my laptop during an update: I accidently closed my laptop during a windows 10 update but now it doesnt even turn on even if i plug it in what do i do in this situation the exact laptop is the HP ProBook x360 11 G1 11.6" TouchScreen Notebook PC - INTEL PENTIUM N4200 1.1GHz 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 10...
  3. so i closed my laptop during an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    so i closed my laptop during an update: I accidently closed my laptop during a windows 10 update but now it doesnt even turn on even if i plug it in what do i do in this situation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-i-closed-my-laptop-during-an-update/86c0ee88-175e-4783-9da4-c52a04100dd0
  4. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  5. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  6. accidentally closed my laptop during windows update

accidentally closed my laptop during windows update: i accidentally closed my laptop during a windows update and now my laptop turns on and off by itself. the screen stays black. right when the laptop ons it shuts right down by itself. it ons and offs by itself. tried holding down the power button but it doesnt work. using asus...
  7. Laptop closing down and restarting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop closing down and restarting.: Hello, [ATTACH] I went for a period when this was not happening until now again, previously the advice posted for the same problem was like reinventing the wheel, I did nothing. What has been changed are my Power settings which I have changed again to trial My Laptop...
  8. Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.: When I’m done working for a bit I put my computer to sleep and close the lid. For some reason every Windows 10 laptop I have owned has always woken my from sleep even when their lids are closed. This causes them to get hot and the fans to scream when it’s not really supposed...
  9. how to restart Laptop in Safe Mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to restart Laptop in Safe Mode: I need to restart into Safe Mode, how do I do that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restart-laptop-in-safe-mode/192ea038-2e2f-4d6f-b2f3-371e7879d810"
  10. Closing a laptop during an update

Closing a laptop during an update: It was time for me to go to sleep when my mom noticed my computer was still on she said it should be turned off but I tell her I can't because the laptop is updating, and then she grabs my laptop and closes it and puts it outside in the living room out of my reach, then today...