Safe to close laptop during restart?

Discus and support Safe to close laptop during restart? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't: Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asus2016, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:03 AM.

1. asus2016 Win User

This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't:

Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP Probook 450 G5) while it's restarting?

The background:

It's been more than 15 years since I used a laptop extensively, but I got one that I keep at my office and use for my primary computer there.

I like to restart at the end of the day, so my computer is ready to go, fresh, the next day. This is easy with a desktop, but a laptop seems more "vulnerable" just sitting there open, so my preference is to close it.

Two days ago, I restarted it, closed it, then opened it immediately to see what was happening, and the shutdown/restart sequence was continuing, so I closed it.

When I got to work the next day, it appeared that I had to start it from scratch. Then the display was wrong, and could only be set to 1024x768, or 800x600. I eventually looked at Device Manager, there was a yellow caution triangle over my display, and a check for drivers found and downloaded and installed an updated one, which fixed the display. Cannot imagine how a month-old laptop would have had this problem, so I'm blaming it on my closing the laptop during restart.

So in addition to the initial question, I would also wonder:
    • When is the optimal time to close a laptop?
    • If a laptop is closed when not in use, when/how does it automatically get Windows updates?

:)

2. Vanessa Sohtun Win User

Laptop will not close down

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. What troubleshooting steps have you perform to fix the issue?

2. Does the issue occur when you open any program or pertains to a specific program?

I would suggest that you perform the methods mentioned below and check if the issue persist:

Method 1: Power troubleshooter.

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
      • Click on “View All” left panel.
      • Click Power, new window will popup the follow the on screen instruction.
    Method 2: Safe Mode.

Log into safe mode open the programs, try to shut down your system and check if the issue persist. To do so follow the steps below:

• Open Run Command (Windows button +R)
    • A dialog box will open type “msconfig”
    • Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.
    • Restart Computer
    Note: Follow the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM
  3. Kalpana Shankarappa Win User
    Laptop is suddenly closed down while working

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

• What is the complete error message that you receive?
    • How often does it close down?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5
    for Safe Mode with networking.

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit Enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press
    Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM
  4. Sachin Venkatesh Win User

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM
Thema:

1. Safe to close laptop during restart? - Similar Threads - Safe close laptop

2. External old hard drive not connecting on windows 10 Hp laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External old hard drive not connecting on windows 10 Hp laptop: I have a sabrent 2.5" hard drive usb 3.0 Enclosure which I used to try get my data from the hard drive of my old hp laptop(windows 7). 3 months ago I tried it and it didn't work then I tried to use my friend's computer which showed the hard drive but as unallocated location(...
  3. Audio Distortion in Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop Speakers Only - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Audio Distortion in Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop Speakers Only - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit: I have tried all the troubleshooting given in the community pages. 1. Uninstalled Audio Drivers and Re-Installed 2. Changed the Audio Format, 3. Disabled Dolby Enhancements, 4. Performed Clean Install of Windows etc etc etc Below are the Specs of my Lappy:- Lenovo...
  4. Update and restart --> BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update and restart --> BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: Update suggests and frequently forces an Update and Restart. This seems to work but the next time at boot time: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. Windows attempts and fails at a repair and that reboots successfully in current OS version. After this the start menu still has the...
  5. Dell laptop windows 10 problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell laptop windows 10 problem: i bought a used laptop with no apps from the store and try to install Microsoft word app to my computer after finishing installing it asks me to update the computer and i click yes after 1 hr it finish updating and start preparing windows then it can't finish for about 24...
  6. One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can: One of the user accounts (with administrator privileges) on my Lenovo laptop shows the wifi network that I use (it is a neighbourhood wifi network) as Limited and the network login page will not come up and the internet is not available. However, other accounts on the same...
  7. Laptop says need administator account to remove detatils from font file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop says need administator account to remove detatils from font file.: just bought a new laptop recently, just want to edit one of my old designed fonts, and change the details on the font, ive gone to edit remove info and it says i need to use admin acount (there is only 1 account) , so i am, then it says cant edit , need permission from...
  8. How can I get all the drivers on a newly windows 10 laptop/pc

How can I get all the drivers on a newly windows 10 laptop/pc: Hey , I just want to know , how can i get all needed drivers for any new windows 10 machine. I know that windows will try to install them , on all new machines, but it will not install the perfect drivers and it will also not install all the drivers ( I think ). I know that...
  9. Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up: Hello I've had this problem for over a month now and I do not know what has caused it Every time I start my computer up or restart (sleep not affected) my desktop icons are all gone If I go on file explorer and check my drives, everything is still there but if I try to...
  10. stolen laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    stolen laptop: yes i dont know if they took the hard drive out or if the reset it to factory setting but it was dead for sure so they would have to unlock my account but the issue reamains about the hard drive swap... i have the orgibal box that it came in and the serial number of the...