Windows 10: Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?

Discus and support Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. Ive had a lot of problems installing the 1803 and 1809 updates, when they try to update they always gets reverted back to previous versions of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Samael, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Samael Win User

Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?

Hello.
    Ive had a lot of problems installing the 1803 and 1809 updates, when they try to update they always gets reverted back to previous versions of windows. I think this, coupling with the fact that ive tried to do a lot of fixes to make windows update work, have made my SoftwareDistribution folders cluttered.
    Ive got 3 of them:

SoftwareDistrbution
    softwaredistribution.bak
    softwaredistribution.bak1
    (the 2 .bak folders are lowercase, not sure if thats important or not)

Each of these folders are taking up around 7 - 8,5 gb of space, at a total of 23,3 gb.
    Id love to clear this space, as its a lot when im running a 128 SSD as my windows drive.

If anyone could give me some help in determining whether its safe or not to delete these folders, and if there's a proper way of doing it, would be awesome.

Also, if anyone have any ideas or solutions on how to make windows update work, that would also be welcome. I think my windows has failed in installing these updates for more than half a year at this point.

Thanks

:)

Samael, Feb 15, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Shiron Win User
    SoftwareDistribution Folder

Yes that's exactly what I mean. Is it safe to delete all the folders and files inside the
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder.

Shiron, Feb 15, 2019
  4. jds63 Win User

SoftwareDistribution Folder

Yes, it is ! Do a Disk Cleanup also.

jds63, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how? - Similar Threads - Safe delete SoftwareDistribution

2. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  3. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  4. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  5. Is it safe to delete these folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete these folders?: Greetings, Chrome 74 now says "Your browser is managed by your organization". I'm not part of an organization. I've been searching for a solution, but most people suggest using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). However, I have the Home edition of Windows, which doesn't...
  6. Is SoftwareDistribution safe to delete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is SoftwareDistribution safe to delete: Hello i don't know if SoftwareDistribution is safe to delete because it takes 6 gigabytes of space and my pc has only 2 gigabytes left of free space should i delete it or no!!!...
  7. Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download content is safe?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download content is safe?: hi The windows update report some suspend updates cause i set the notify for download and installation in the gpedit rules for increase the control of updating.I prefer download the update from windows update catalog.i just installed "April 9, 2019—KB4493509 (OS Build...
  8. Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download content is safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download content is safe?: hi The windows update report some suspend updates cause i set the notify for download and installation in the gpedit rules for increase the control of updating.I prefer download the update from windows update catalog.i just installed "April 9, 2019—KB4493509 (OS Build...
  9. Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?: Hello. Ive had a lot of problems installing the 1803 and 1809 updates, when they try to update they always gets reverted back to previous versions of windows. I think this, coupling with the fact that ive tried to do a lot of fixes to make windows update work, have made my...
  10. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686

Users found this page by searching for:

1. safe to delete softwaredistribution.bak files