Windows 10: Safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings?

Discus and support Safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings after you've installed the Windows 10 Creators Update? I've just upgraded to the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gort, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Gort Win User

Safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings?

Is it safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings after you've installed the Windows 10 Creators Update? I've just upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update from Windows 10 1607, using the Windows Update Assistant. I got fed up waiting for the CU to come via Windows Update, so I checked that my laptop was compatible - it was - and then just used Update Assistant to complete the job. Everything went well, no issues and I've been sailing with 1703 for a couple of days.

Now, I'm pruning the system. I used Disk Cleanup to remove cruft like C:\Windows.old (I made a backup prior to upgrading to CU), I removed the Windows 10 Update Assistant, but noticed that Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings was still listed as installed. Thing is, from what I've read, it's solely there to prepare for the CU, in that it'll pop up a dialogue box with privacy settings, you choose your settings, then it'll start the installation of the CU. This never happened for me, forcing me to go down the Upgrade Assistant route.

So, seeing that I now have the Creators Update, surely the Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings application can now be removed. Is this the case or has Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings got any additional uses?

:)

2. Android Apps on Windows 10 Mobile

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

sbscales77, Aug 16, 2017
  3. cant turn on windows defender says its in safe mode and i have no audio

i cant turn on windows defender says its in safe mode have no audio either my e mail *** Email address is removed for privacy *** thanks hv hewlet packard upgraded to windows 10 lap top thanks eileen locke

eileenlocke518, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Gort Win User

Firstly, sorry if I put this in the wrong part of the forum, but seeing it's about the leftovers of the upgrade from Windows 10 1607 to 1703, then surely the right place would be in the upgrades section of the forum where I initially put it.

Anyway, I've made a backup and have now removed Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings application. Computer hasn't blown up yet. Still, it'd be nice to hear from someone more knowledgeable about whether this application is still necessary after installing the Creators Update.

5. lx07 Win User
    I don't have an upgraded version - I did clean install of CU.

I don't have that app so I'm pretty certain you are safe in having removed it. You can change all the various privacy settings though Settings > Privacy in any case.

6. Bree New Member
    I do have an upgraded version, but I didn't wait for the 'Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings' app to be installed, I used the MCT to make install media as soon as Creators was released and upgraded manually. I too don't have that app, so it looks safe to remove it.

7. Gort Win User
    Thanks for the replies. Seeing that you two didn't have it installed to begin with and seeing it's not there once you got CU, then that clears it up for me.

I did suspect it to be the case, but wanted to make sure (I did search on Google and here, but found not that much on the subject to be conclusive). I suppose I was expecting it to be removed as part of the CU update process, as it seemed superfluous after the update.

Cheers.

Gort, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe to remove Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings? - Similar Threads - Safe remove Update

2. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - is it legit and safe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - is it legit and safe?: Hi,Is this Microsoft`s email legit and safe?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** Regards,M https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-legit-and-safe/4bbf5583-1bde-4a77-97c5-d40cc904dae8
  3. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - is it legit and safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - is it legit and safe?: Hi,Is this Microsoft`s email legit and safe?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** Regards,M https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-legit-and-safe/4bbf5583-1bde-4a77-97c5-d40cc904dae8
  4. privacy settings and windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    privacy settings and windows updates: Hello, I am trying to update my computer settings for a number of reasons and want to ensure privacy for myself and family even if someone is diligently looking to access my accounts, super intel IT people which may be an exaggeration but I have a younger child wild with...
  5. Windows 10 privacy settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 privacy settings: I have 5 Windows 10 Home laptops for my homeschooled kids. I have activity reporting enabled so I can keep and eye on what they're doing. Is there a way I can keep them from accessing the privacy settings to turn activity reporting off? My oldest is smart enough to figure...
  6. Changing privacy settings on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing privacy settings on Windows 10: Hi, I'm about to throw this new system out the window because of Windows 10. All I want to do is change my privacy settings. I can't unless I log into my Windows Account. Everytime I try to, it wants me to verify who I am by sending me an email and me entering the code...
  7. Minecraft Windows 10 privacy settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 privacy settings: I'm trying to join my friends' Minecraft realm, but it says I need to update my privacy settings. I can play on multiplayer servers though. The link it tells me to go to is forever stuck in a load and it brings me nowhere. I am under a family group but I have all privileges....
  8. Windows Update and Privacy Settings?

Windows Update and Privacy Settings?: I receive this error message: what to do There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)...
  9. How to remove ‘Select privacy settings’ box

How to remove ‘Select privacy settings’ box: After updating Windows 10 before shut down, i booted up my laptop to find a box asking me to select privacy settings. No matter how many times i select and click okay, it won’t go away. Just keeps telling me to try again. Short of resetting my laptop, there is nothing else I...
  10. Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings (KB4013214)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings (KB4013214): Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings for x64-based Systems (KB4013214) Just saw this thing got installed. Thoughts? 81599