Windows 10: "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is "Open Devices And Printer

Discus and support "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is "Open Devices And Printer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just purchased a Seagate external drive as a backup for my computer. Without me doing anything the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DLGuin01, Jun 10, 2016.

1. DLGuin01 Win User

"Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is "Open Devices And Printer

I just purchased a Seagate external drive as a backup for my computer.

Without me doing anything the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the lower part of my computer screen now says "Open Devices and Printers" which is where it takes you when you click on it.

I hesitate to plug my external drive in if I can't safely remove it.

Does anyone know how to get the "Safely Remove Hardware" option back?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

:)

DLGuin01, Jun 10, 2016
  2. Cazzycool Win User

'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' tray icon does not inform on successful ejection

I have a problem with this too, since upgrading to Windows 10 the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon is still on my taskbar but when I click on it the options given are to "open devices and printers" or "...", the latter doesn't do anything,
    the former opens device manager. So how do I safely eject my SD card now?

Cazzycool, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Windows Anniversary Update an USB ejection

The "safely remove hardware and eject media" icon is still in the taskbar after the update. However, it no longer does what it is supposed to. Istead, you click on it and it takes you to the devices and printers window, which is kind of useless. Is there
    a way of ejecting devices safely under the new update, without having to go to File Explorer/This PC?

mmpexchange, Jun 10, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Earlier, something in Windows change did you? -- YodaMan

Matters not, download, install tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One). Best to run it in Safe Mode with Networking. Accept defaults and check items #26 & 27. Restart maybe twice, to smooth out Windows 10 OPs. Also ensure icon rebuilding and/or system files association is checkmarked.

RolandJS, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Does the printer have a USB or SD Card port on it? That can sometimes mess things up.

Berton, Jun 10, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Thanks for bringing that up, Berton, I totally forgot some printers have such ports! I'll be listenin' in and learnin' *Smile

RolandJS, Jun 10, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    In Win 10 the Eject Button always has that at the Top (its a shortcut) , if you don't have anything removable plugged in ( and turned on if needed ) you will only see two or three dots under that , indicating nothing is plugged in.

Did you install any needed Seagate Software?

Kbird, Jun 10, 2016
  8. DLGuin01 Win User

I haven't plugged the Seagate drive into the USB port yet because I didn't want to take chance of breaking it from the start. It's a 2 terabyte drive so it'll back things up for quite a while. I just want to make sure I'm getting of on the right foot with it. Thanks for your help with. I really do appreciate it!

DLGuin01, Jun 11, 2016
  9. DLGuin01 Win User
    The printer has an SD card which enables me to plug the SD card from my camera into it and load the pictures directly into my OneDrive. If that indeed proves to be the problem, how would I fix it?

DLGuin01, Jun 11, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    Don't know about a 'fix' but there's 2 ways to safely eject a card or thumb drive, one is the obvious way with the icon in the Notification Area but another I frequently use is in File Explorer and right-click the drive to be removed and choose Eject, will get the same message if it can be removed/Windows is done with it. Does that work for you?

Berton, Jun 11, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    So far I don't think the Printer has messed anything up .... there's nothing in the "Safe to remove Option" cos nothing is plugged in.

If you haven't got the Seagate Plugged in you won't have an option to eject it..... only Removable Drives get that option , and the Printer's SD Reader may not be considered "Removeable" by Windows so you may not see it there either ?

I usually run the software before plugging in anything USB so Windows has the Drivers when it's plugged in and doesn't try to find it's own but Seagate may say different for your Drive ???

** Edit when I had a WD External it installed it's own eject button on the system tray. Does Seagate's software?

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is "Open Devices And Printer - Similar Threads - Safely Remove Hardware

2. "Safely remove hardware and eject media" issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Safely remove hardware and eject media" issue: Hello, I have problem. This showed up on my taskbar and it stayed awhile. [ATTACH] What should I do? Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware-and-eject-media-issue/47114385-afc9-4a73-a62b-6cc7b28384f0
  3. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Since upgrading to Windows 10 v20H2 I have had problems ejecting all of my USB drives from the notification tray. They all show up in File Explorer and if I right click I can eject them from there. They do not show up in the list that appears when I click "Safely Remove...
  4. Remove ""Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove ""Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media": Is there any way to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon? I tried with the batch file & changing in the settings but both do not work, batch file gives me an error and in settings, it just does not appear in "Turn system icons on or off". Also if this is...
  5. "Safely remove hardware and eject media" problem

"Safely remove hardware and eject media" problem: When I press the icon, these show up. I believe this icon should disappear unless external device is connected. Please help. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware-and-eject-media-problem/acda70b5-9bdc-46ab-b7b5-4aa25e690ea7
  6. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Hi everyone. I have got a new PC with windows 10 on it however, when I attach an external hard drive to it and need to remove it, I click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". everything goes normal but I do not get the message that say "Save to remove hardware". I...
  7. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working: "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Notification is not working, has anyone else had this issue with 1809. I like the feature as I've had a couple of bad experiences pulling a drive out when it was not ready. Sure the little Drive Icon goes away but I like the...
  8. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working: "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Notification is not working, has anyone else had this issue with 1809. I like the feature as I've had a couple of bad experiences pulling a drive out when it was not ready. Sure the little Drive Icon goes away but I like the...
  9. Safely Remove Hardware/Eject Media

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware/Eject Media: When using this feature in Windows 10, I used to get an on-screen message saying when it was safe to disconnect the device. Several months ago I stopped getting this message. Any ideas why?...
  10. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Over the last several days, I have been installing and grooming Windows 10 and other programs on my PC. Suddenly and for no apparent reason the taskbar icon "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" disappeared. I typically have an external harddrive plugged in to a rear USB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. safely remome eject media icon open devices and printers

2. safely remove hardwre and eject media becomes open devices and printers when clicked

3. open device instead safely remove hardware