Windows 10: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away

Discus and support Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Hard Drive crapped the bed recently, it was 4 and a half years past warranty so it served more than its fair share of time *Tongue But I grabbed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Carsomyr Win User

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away

My Hard Drive crapped the bed recently, it was 4 and a half years past warranty so it served more than its fair share of time *Tongue But I grabbed a nice new Samsung 850 Evo SSD, reinstalled windows and all of my stuff (since the disk was in REALLY rough shape I didn't bother migrating anything). Now in the bottom left corner the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon stays in the notification area looking like this when I right click it:

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away [​IMG]

The only hardware change was the SSD, I guess it isn't that big of a deal but it sort of annoys me *Tongue

:)

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016

2. Safely remove hardware and eject media

Downloaded and did a full scan when I went to work, nothing was found

Jack Smook, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

"it doesn't see a removable device" How do I know what device to stop if it doesn't see anything? I see a little check mark symbol on the icon. I guess I'm just confused as to why the icon needs to show when nothing is removable. I don't "need" to stop
    a device. I have a wireless printer and 2 USB receivers for my keyboard & mouse.

Frank43073, Apr 24, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

I believe that is the right corner but I do not see any Safely Remove Hardware Icon. Am I missing something?

pbcopter, Apr 24, 2016
  5. Carsomyr Win User
    The icon is under the box that says "open devices and printers", its in the box under it after clicking the ^ arrow *Tongue

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    Did you install the SSD as a SATA, or PCIe ?

If SATA, then most likely it's being detected as removable, and hence it stays, listing the drive (It is listing the SSD yes?)

I have the capability on my Z97 classified to specify SATA ports as removable or not (I've got 4 drives and a SATA Docking port at the top of the case) all my drives as set to non so I don't see the indication, only the dock.

You might want to check your BIOS for the same.

If installed PCIe, not sure at that install.

RWOne, Apr 24, 2016
  7. Carsomyr Win User
    It is a SATA SSD, but no nothing is listed (as you can see in the picture?)

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  8. RWOne Win User

No, your pic doesnt show the drive listed itself.

RWOne, Apr 24, 2016
  9. Carsomyr Win User
    That is exactly what I said.

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  10. RWOne Win User
    Ok, but check your BIOS as indicated, paying attention to the port you placed the SSD on.

What mainboard is this on?

RWOne, Apr 24, 2016
  11. Carsomyr Win User
    Intel DP55KG, you could just look at my system specs (As I actually have mine filled out unlike the vast majority of 10 forums users *Tongue) I'll have a look in my bios but I don't think I have any option like that

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  12. RWOne Win User
    Same here, sorry.

Here's your manual:
    https://downloadmirror.intel.com/181...03_English.pdf

I'm not sure you can manually set the port, so in that case I recommend reinstalling the intel matrix storage technology for your system and then see if it still occurs.

RWOne, Apr 24, 2016
  13. Carsomyr Win User

Ok so while I was poking around in my BIOS I noticed that I actually had the SSD plugged into the discrete sata port on accident. I switched it over to one of the normal 6,and now the SSD IS seen as a removable device:

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away [​IMG]

I don't think I can set the ports manually, and isn't matrix the older version of Intel RST, and aren't both of those for RAID setups?

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  14. Carsomyr Win User
    I had to install a really old version of RST since my platform is unsupported by the latest revision. It is no longer showing up in the notification area (although I still have microsoft storage spaces controller under device manager). Marking this as solved since the original problem is resolved *Biggrin

Carsomyr, Apr 24, 2016
  15. RWOne Win User
    Good to hear you got it!

RWOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away - Similar Threads - Safely Remove Hardware

2. "Safely remove hardware and eject media" issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Safely remove hardware and eject media" issue: Hello, I have problem. This showed up on my taskbar and it stayed awhile. [ATTACH] What should I do? Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware-and-eject-media-issue/47114385-afc9-4a73-a62b-6cc7b28384f0
  3. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Since upgrading to Windows 10 v20H2 I have had problems ejecting all of my USB drives from the notification tray. They all show up in File Explorer and if I right click I can eject them from there. They do not show up in the list that appears when I click "Safely Remove...
  4. Remove ""Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove ""Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media": Is there any way to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon? I tried with the batch file & changing in the settings but both do not work, batch file gives me an error and in settings, it just does not appear in "Turn system icons on or off". Also if this is...
  5. "Safely remove hardware and eject media" problem

"Safely remove hardware and eject media" problem: When I press the icon, these show up. I believe this icon should disappear unless external device is connected. Please help. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware-and-eject-media-problem/acda70b5-9bdc-46ab-b7b5-4aa25e690ea7
  6. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Hi everyone. I have got a new PC with windows 10 on it however, when I attach an external hard drive to it and need to remove it, I click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". everything goes normal but I do not get the message that say "Save to remove hardware". I...
  7. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working: "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Notification is not working, has anyone else had this issue with 1809. I like the feature as I've had a couple of bad experiences pulling a drive out when it was not ready. Sure the little Drive Icon goes away but I like the...
  8. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media not working: "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Notification is not working, has anyone else had this issue with 1809. I like the feature as I've had a couple of bad experiences pulling a drive out when it was not ready. Sure the little Drive Icon goes away but I like the...
  9. Safely Remove Hardware/Eject Media

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware/Eject Media: When using this feature in Windows 10, I used to get an on-screen message saying when it was safe to disconnect the device. Several months ago I stopped getting this message. Any ideas why?...
  10. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: Over the last several days, I have been installing and grooming Windows 10 and other programs on my PC. Suddenly and for no apparent reason the taskbar icon "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" disappeared. I typically have an external harddrive plugged in to a rear USB...