Windows 10: Safely remove hardware failure.

Discus and support Safely remove hardware failure. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external disk drive that is giving me trouble ejecting from the system. [img] I ran an sfc /scannow command and it found corrupt files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EyeInTheSky, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Safely remove hardware failure.

I have an external disk drive that is giving me trouble ejecting from the system.

Safely remove hardware failure. [​IMG]

I ran an sfc /scannow command and it found corrupt files and could not repair them. I then proceeded to the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth command and it completed successfully so I rebooted the computer.

I then ran the sfc /scannow command again and Windows Resource Protection did not find any Windows integrity violations or corruption.

So, I thought the problem was fixed and my external drive would eject with no problems from the computer. It is hooked up by way of USB cable.

Still the problem persists and I do not get the safe to remove hardware balloon pop up that I normally got before to let me know that it is safe to remove the hardware from the system.

All drivers are up to date on my system and yet I get this:

Wait a minute - device not removable? What the heck - plus it thinks it's a USB and not an external drive!

And this:

Anyone else having problems ejecting external drives after the latest Windows Update?

I swear after every Windows Update, I have to use the Restorehealth command just so Windows won't have any integrity violations by the sfc /scannow command.

This is getting old real quick.

I'm not complaining; however, when I was running Windows 7 for years and years, I didn't have to keep repairing the Windows image after every Windows Update.

Any ideas how to fix the hardware ejection problem?

:)

EyeInTheSky, Jan 17, 2019

2. Safely Remove Hardware tool

Thank you for the update, Murray. Since you mentioned that you've already tried running the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll command to no avail, we suggest that you create a shortcut or even a batch file using the same command. Just run
    the shortcut or batch file and see if the Safely Remove Hardware dialog window will appear. To create a shortcut, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the desktop and click on New > Shortcut.
    • In the Type the location of the item box, type in, or copy and paste the following command:
      • rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    • Click Next and then give it a name like Safely Remove Hardware, and then click on
      Finish.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Safely remove hardware icon

Hi Cynthia,

For us to properly isolate the missing "Safely Remove Hardware icon" issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Normally, this icon isn’t missing and it’s most likely hidden in your Taskbar. To reveal this icon, you may click the arrow in the bottom right corner to show more sysbar icons. If it is available, you may pin it to your Taskbar by following the steps below:

• Connect a USB flash drive or any other removable storage to your PC.
    • Click the arrow in the bottom right corner to expand the sysbar section.
    • Now locate Safely Remove Hardware icon and drag it to your Taskbar.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 17, 2019
  4. FrankS Win User

Safely remove hardware failure.

Safely Remove Hardware icon missing

Hi
    In the last few days the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon has gone missing from my Taskbar. Also, if I right-click on the USB stick or USB hard drive in 'This Computer' the Eject option is missing.
    In PC Settings/Personalisation/Taskbar/Notification area/Select which icons appear on the taskbar I have 'Always show all icons in the notification area' switched on & all items in the list are in the 'on' state including 'Windows Explorer (Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media).
    Any suggestions?

FrankS, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Safely remove hardware failure.

1. Safely remove hardware failure. - Similar Threads - Safely remove hardware

2. "Safe to Remove Hardware"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Safe to Remove Hardware": Windows11 "Safe to Remove Hardware" The Icon appears when ask to eject but the "Safe to Remove Hardware" does not show to remove. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-to-remove-hardware/b6fed1d0-bcf2-4c97-8d1c-e18aba09f305
  3. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safely remove Hardware: I am sure that I do not use the external hardware however, when I want to remove it, I receive a message that " This device is currently in use. Close any program....". I checked the "Task Manager" and could not find an open program/window using it. How can I find which...
  4. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safely remove Hardware: I am sure that I do not use the external hardware however, when I want to remove it, I receive a message that " This device is currently in use. Close any program....". I checked the "Task Manager" and could not find an open program/window using it. How can I find which...
  5. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Safely Remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware: I don't see the safely remove hardware icon on my Windows 10 taskbar. After checking the list of available icons in settings, it's missing in action! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware/786e43ce-bb75-4ccd-92f6-c2b5e10060c7
  7. Safe to remove hardware?

Safe to remove hardware?: I often use pen drives for certain purposes, and after ejecting the drive using the "safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar, I used to get an all clear message pop up on the lower right screen telling me it was safe to remove the pen drive! This message no longer...
  8. Safe to remove hardware?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to remove hardware?: I often use pen drives for certain purposes, and after ejecting the drive using the "safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar, I used to get an all clear message pop up on the lower right screen telling me it was safe to remove the pen drive! This message no longer...
  9. Safely Remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Safely Remove Hardware: I no longer have "safely remove hardware" from my hidden icons on the desktop. What happened? Will it come back soon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware/b4bc08e0-d553-4d18-a6c2-b6aa525efbcc
  10. "Safely remove hardware"

"Safely remove hardware": Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...