Windows 10: Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

Discus and support Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MPSAN, May 17, 2020.

1. MPSAN Win User

Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock with a nice 4TB drive that I use for images (Macrium Reflect) and when done I wanted to use this Shortcut to remove the drive after powering it down in the dock. The problem is that this shortcut sees it OK, but says that it is not removable. I understand that that would be normal for a SATA drive, but can I "fix" this or can I just turn the dock power off button after backups?

:)

MPSAN, May 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 Hot Swap SATA dock

I just built a new PC with a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case and an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I enabled AHCI for the Sata port that the dock built into the case is connected to. I also enabled hot swap for that Sata port only. I can boot up with a hard drive installed and it appears in my device list. I can insert the hard drive after boot up and
    it appears in my device list. But I have no way to "Eject" the Sata drive within Windows 10 because it does not show in the list of "Safely Remove Devices".

Previously I used Windows 7 on my old machine and a USB dock. The hard drive would be treated as a USB removable drive and be eligible for "Safely Eject".

What is needed to configure Windows or my Bios to allow for the Sata dock built into the case to be "hot swappable" and able to be safely removed without shutting down the PC?

Blackhawks2015, May 17, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    StarTech Announces New SATA Hard Drive Duplicator Dock

StarTech.com, a leading manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts has announced the release of the (SKU: SATDOCK4U3RE) USB 3.0/eSATA to SATA Standalone 1:3 Hard Drive Duplicator Dock, which enables users to perform 1:3 sector-by-sector duplication from a single SATA hard drive onto three others simultaneously, without having to connect the dock to a host computer. The Duplicator Dock also includes a SATA to IDE adapter, which provides the option of connecting an IDE hard drive in one of the SATA slots.

“IT professionals are always looking for ways to make their jobs more efficient and this new multi-drive duplicator allows them to accomplish just that,” commented StarTech.com Senior Product Manager, Carey Cline. “The ability to perform a sector by sector duplication on up to three drives simultaneously, frees up the user’s time to perform other functions while the back-ups are created in the background. The fact it acts as a standalone unit also means it doesn’t use up resources on their computer system.”

Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK? 19a_thm.jpg

The duplicator dock can also be used as an external 4-bay hard drive dock, connected through either USB 3.0 or eSATA, providing an easy way to add and remove bare external hard drives from a computer system.

Other features and benefits of the Hard Drive Duplicator Dock (SATDOCK4U3RE) include:
    • Up to 72 MBps data transfer rates between drives, when used for hard drive duplication
    • Up to 5Gbps or 3Gbps data transfer rates (connected through USB 3.0 or eSATA, respectively), when utilized as an external drive docking station
    • Secure Erase feature simplifies erasing/wiping drive contents for further cloning use or disposal of a hard drive
    • Dual 60mm cooling fans mounted beneath the drives help to keep docked hard drives at optimal operating temperatures
    • Supports 2.5” or 3.5” form factor hard drives (HDDs) or Solid State Drives (SSDs)
    • Integrated LCD displays duplication progress and duplicator options menu
    • Included SATA to IDE adapter enables users to dock an IDE hard drive in place of a SATA hard drive in one of the four bays, making it possible to copy the contents of an IDE hard drive onto three SATA drives where necessary, when IDE drive is used in source slo
    The USB 3.0/eSATA to SATA Standalone 1:3 Hard Drive Duplicator Dock (SKU: SATDOCK4U3RE) is available for purchase from leading technology resellers including Misco, ebuyer.com, Insight, Amazon and Dabs.com and is distributed by Ingram Micro, EntaTech and Micro-P. RRP for this product is £453.99 in the UK.

For more information, visit the product page.

btarunr, May 17, 2020
  4. RWOne Win User

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media won't go away

Did you install the SSD as a SATA, or PCIe ?

If SATA, then most likely it's being detected as removable, and hence it stays, listing the drive (It is listing the SSD yes?)

I have the capability on my Z97 classified to specify SATA ports as removable or not (I've got 4 drives and a SATA Docking port at the top of the case) all my drives as set to non so I don't see the indication, only the dock.

You might want to check your BIOS for the same.

If installed PCIe, not sure at that install.

RWOne, May 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK? - Similar Threads - Safely Remove SATA

2. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  3. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  4. Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?: Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock with a nice 4TB drive that I use for images (Macrium Reflect) and when done I wanted to use this Shortcut to remove the drive...
  5. quick-change 2.5" SATA dock,

quick-change 2.5" SATA dock,: I have a 4 drive quick-change 2.5" SATA dock, and when I put in a drive it doesn't show up If I reboot it does show up. What can I do to see it when I plug it in?...
  6. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  7. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  8. "Safe " removing internal drives ?!

"Safe " removing internal drives ?!: Why are my internal HDDs and SSD shown in the "safe remove "-icon ( placed in taskbar) ?? How can we get rid of this absurd notification of showing internal HDDs for removing...............!! 114602
  9. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  10. safe removal drive

safe removal drive: When I have inserted a SD memory card, I have the possibility for "ejecting" the card after which it can be safely removed. I donot understand why this possibility does not exist with an USB HDD. I thought that just removing such drive gives the chance of damaging it. 62174