Windows 10: Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Discus and support Safety of Login credentials for SMB... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How safe is it to enter login credentials in an app to allow it access to network drives? I use multiple apps on Android & iOS to connect to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

How safe is it to enter login credentials in an app to allow it access to network drives?

I use multiple apps on Android & iOS to connect to my Windows laptop over SMB. This requires me to provide the app with my Windows Login Credentials, which is basically my Microsoft account username & password.

How safe is this process? Am I risking my account by providing this info to the app? Can the app or its developer misuse this information?

:)

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Apr 30, 2020
  2. AAAtech Win User

SMB share credentials

Hi,

I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows
    cannot access..... you do not have permission....."

When i add that user's local synology account to the folder, they can access the folder. could it be that the user's computer is trying to access the folder using their local synology account credentials and not the AD credentials? is there a way to check
    what credentials windows is sending to access the synology SMB share?

that server doesn't appear in Windows Credentials, but it's not asking for credentials at all, so something is going on

Thanks,

Albert

AAAtech, Apr 30, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Intel AMT Security Issue Lets Attackers Bypass Login Credentials

Next up: security vulnerability found in every router ever with default login credentials...

4. Junaid_A Win User

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are you using a Microsoft account to login?
    • Was the user name changed at any point of time?

Meanwhile, you may try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Command prompt as an administrator on your local machine and type:
      gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following location:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation
    • Click on ‘Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication’
    • Enable the policy and click on ‘Show’ button in the options window below and enter the value
      ‘TERMSRV/*’ (without quotes) into the list. Apply the changes.
    • Do the same thing for the following policies:

Allow Delegating Saved Credentials

Allow Delegating Default Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication

Allow Delegating Default Credentials
    • Make sure that ‘Deny Delegating Saved Credentials’ is not enabled or does not contain ‘TERMSRV/*’ in the list
    • Close all windows, open a command prompt, and use
      ‘gpupdate /force’
      command to apply the policy directly.

Once the update is complete, reboot the machine and see if you can remote login.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

1. Safety of Login credentials for SMB... - Similar Threads - Safety Login credentials

2. family safety can't login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    family safety can't login: I have tried to log into my family safety account to erase my child from it so that she doesn’t need my permission to log into her computer, but every time I try to login the website just refreshes and refreshes, and nothing opens up I want to takeoff family safety for her...
  3. Login Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Credentials: My remote LAN PC's keep asking for login credentials but I use a PIN to log into the computer on my LAN that has the network drive I need to access. What do I use on my network computers to access the computer with the network drive?...
  4. Login Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Credentials: My remote LAN PC's keep asking for login credentials but I use a PIN to log into the computer on my LAN that has the network drive I need to access. What do I use on my network computers to access the computer with the network drive?...
  5. Can't login with Family Safety

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't login with Family Safety: Hi, I've setup family safety in my son's pc with strong restrictions on timing usage. For some times it worked: he asked me time to connect and I gave him time through the app. Last week it stopped working, giving an error message "Not connected to Internet" The internet...
  6. Login credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Login credentials: Are my log in credentials automatically stored on my hdd/ssd? can someone view it if they have/stole my pc? P. S. I don't wanna use Bitlocker though. submitted by /u/MrRightknow [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8zhyq/login_credentials/
  7. SMB share credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB file servers keep asking for credentials: I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are: browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows) guest ok (Linux) / turn off password protected sharing (Windows) Appropriate file system level permissions on both servers...
  9. Login problems and credentials

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login problems and credentials: My boss was asked this morning to change her login password because it had expired. She did but now the computer is not accepting the new password and its asking for her credentials. what can she do?...
  10. Invalid login credentials on boot

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Invalid login credentials on boot: Hello, My Windows 10 was automatically logging me in, until recently, when it started showing me the following "The username and password is invalid. Please try again" https://i.imgur.com/BLM98pk.jpg << Screenshot Then it asks me to enter my Microsoft account...