Windows 10: Safety/Reliability of Rollback to Windows 7 ?

Discus and support Safety/Reliability of Rollback to Windows 7 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Friends just wondering what the collective wisdom is at this point of time [10/13/15] re: rolling back to Windows 7 on a fairly sensitive RAID 1 system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cognus, Oct 12, 2015.

1. cognus Win User

Safety/Reliability of Rollback to Windows 7 ?

Friends just wondering what the collective wisdom is at this point of time [10/13/15] re: rolling back to Windows 7 on a fairly sensitive RAID 1 system and it is not going to perform well on Windows 10 [for that and other reasons].

How have these gone so far and are there any undocumented steps I should take to help ensure against data loss [other than the obvious: backup] ??

thanks

:)

cognus, Oct 12, 2015

2. Installing Windows 10 From ISO Disk

It is not necessary to update Windows 7. None of the updates have anything to do with Windows 10 except the last one, the Get Windows 10 app that appears in the tray. The user can bypass that and go directly to launching the upgrade from a dvd or usb.
    Setup will find what it needs from Windows 7 to activate Windows 10 for free. The user will be able to exercise the rollback option in Windows 7 regardless of the update status of the previous OS (in this case 7).

In point of fact an upgrade is not even required. The user can perform a clean install of Windows 10. The data needed for qualification for Windows 10 for tree is in the BIOS of his computer (the OEM marker) or if he has a retail Windows 7 product key
    he can enter that when asked for a product key by Windows 10 Setup.

There is no need for a rollback option in Windows 10 if the user simply makes a system backup of his Windows 7 system before installing Windows 10. In fact it is more reliable to do so.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Start button doesn't work

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Unfortunately no success yet.

the MS Safety Scanner partially removed win32/Hadsruda!bit .

I created another net user NewUsername NewPassword /add and the new user seems to work well. But the original account still doesn't work.

Can I return to Windows 7 from the new account that was created. I would prefer to keep Windows 10 but my experience is not really reassuring. Any other tips or advice to either make Windows 10 reliable or returning to Windows 7.

Thanks,

Pierre

PierreG_888, Oct 12, 2015
  4. trynn Win User

if you want a reliable option, you have to backup. If it works, great, if not use your backup.

trynn, Oct 12, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    System image created with 3rd party software such as Macrium Reflect (free for home use) of the old OS before upgrading is the best insurance you can have.

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2015
  6. cognus Win User
    the backup is a given.
    my question was more along the lines of how much trouble to expect.
    but if it is going to blow up, Macrium image is not of much value - wash/rinse/repeat win10....
    if detonation occurs, I'm having to rebuild windows 7 from 'scratch' - wouldn't dare trust a clone of 7-to-10

cognus, Oct 13, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I must vehemently disagree as I am sure a lot of us do. You pop in the Macrium Relfect Free rescue disc, boot the computer from that, select the image of Windows 7/8/8.1 that you made prior to the upgrade and let it restore the entire hard drive - partitions and boot sectors/files and all. Takes about 4 mouse clicks to have a full restore done. And the Macrium Reflect image is good for the life of the medium it is saved to - well past the 30 days reversion period in Windows 10.

As far as how much trouble to expect - it either works or it doesn't. Not much room for in betweens. Most people haven't had any problems but a few have.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2015
  8. cognus Win User

the user made no backup prior to "clicking the link" that MS has done so well marketing.
    i'm seeing a lot of these.
    I should be grateful for the bizness...

cognus, Oct 13, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    To make sure you won't have any issues upgrading to Windows 10, first backup all your data, or even better clone your installation on another disk or file with Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, Clonezilla or whatever suits you best. Then update all your drivers. Uninstall or completely disable your antivirus so it won't interfere with the upgrade process. If it tries to do anything, it can make it fail! So disable it or uninstall it. Also disable or uninstall any old application or driver that could not be compatible with Windows 10. Disconnect all your external devices such as printer, scanner, webcam, USB hard disk ect. Make sure you run msconfig and disable any useless non-Microsoft service and application on startup. You can enable them again after upgrading to Windows 10. To make extra sure the upgrade won't fail because of a faulty DVD-ROM, you can copy all files to a folder in your hard disk and start setup from there. Also disable sleep and any other power feature. You can enable them after the upgrade.
    Now you are 99.99% sure installation will succeed, go for it. If it is a notebook make sure it is connected to the mains power, don't rely on battery! After successful upgrade to Windows 10, search for any driver that is Windows 10 only (usually chipset and graphics) and update it again. If the driver you used before the update to Windows 10 was common for 10 and older windows versions, it should be preserved and shouldn't need to reinstall it. Just have a look at Device Manager to make sure. Now you can reinstall and enable any application you disabled before.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Safety/Reliability of Rollback to Windows 7 ? - Similar Threads - Safety Reliability Rollback

2. Rollback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rollback: My windows 11 is giving me a lot of blue screens of deaths so i'm trying to go back to windows 10 for free and bring all my files from windows 11 to windows 10 please help. Urgent. Thanks...
  3. Rollback

Rollback: I'm deciding to rollback from Windows 11 to Windows 10, Using Windows.old folderWill it delete apps and my personal data after a rollback? I want to rollback using Recovery page in Settings btw...
  4. Windows 10: unable to remove user for rollback to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: unable to remove user for rollback to Windows 7: Background: While logged into my "Owner" account on Windows 7, I upgraded to Windows 10. Turns out my laptop has too old of an Intel chipset and I must roll back to Windows 7. I now have two login ids: Owner and Administrator. C:\Users shows subfolders Adminstrator and...
  5. Windows Rollback

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Rollback: Long story short. I had a big program installing on my Machine, it had some sort of error during the installation and I then stopped it, let the installer roll back the changes, and ever since then I have not been able to get applications to run. The executable files react...
  6. Rollback

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rollback: When a bad Windows build is released how long should i wait before doing a rollback? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rollback/26b95787-a0b7-4266-8998-b9067a3ae633
  7. I have Windows.old but i cannot rollback to Windows 7.

I have Windows.old but i cannot rollback to Windows 7.: There are actually a few issues with this. I have been using a HP laptop that has recently been factory reset. I want to make this laptop Windows 7 as it is currently Windows 10. It does have the Windows.old file, but when I go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, I do...
  8. Rollback to Win 8.1 or 7 corrupts scheduled tasks

Rollback to Win 8.1 or 7 corrupts scheduled tasks: Due to Nitro Reader problem reported in another thread, I rolled back to Win 7. I found none of the scheduled tasks I had created worked. Opening Task Scheduler presented me with 62 error messages indicating my tasks, and many others created by other applications, including...
  9. Problem after rollback windows 10 to 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem after rollback windows 10 to 7: Hello everybody, I have an ASUS laptop that is on Windows 7 Home Edition. I made the mistake of yielding to the insistent messages inviting me to use Windows 10. After I realized that this version does not work with Firefox or with kapersky nor with my printer, etc, I made...
  10. How long does rollback to Windows 7 take? ....

How long does rollback to Windows 7 take? ....: can someone tell me: on a system with a couple of 1TB drives but little of the space used [50gb...] how long should it be taking to rollback to Windows 7 Pro? It has been on blue screen stating "restarting......" for half a day... call it 8 hours Just wondering if its time...