Windows 10: Salvage data from a failing HD (making constant clicking noise)

Discus and support Salvage data from a failing HD (making constant clicking noise) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, My 10 years old HD has finally died. One day when I started my PC, the HD started to make a constant clicking noise which I think comes from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arese, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Arese Win User

Salvage data from a failing HD (making constant clicking noise)

Hey guys,

My 10 years old HD has finally died.
    One day when I started my PC, the HD started to make a constant clicking noise which I think comes from the read/write arm or head.
    By the sound of it's mechanically stuck in some sort of loop as I can continuously hear: click-click ----- click-click ------ click-click
    It's not completely dead because it can eventually load and boot windows even if it takes like 15min to boot.
    When it does that sound the read/write speed drops to 1MB/s (i've noticed that in the past)

I've booted my system using Kyhi's bootable recovery tool because I knew it wouldn't need my HDD to load the system's files and now I'm trying to transfer my files to my 2nd HDD simply using windows explorer at the moment.

But look It's really interesting, the clicking noise will eventually stop for 10s and if I manage to lunch the transfer of the file in that window, it will work fine and the file will be copied at a transfer rate of 100MB/s.
    However during the transfer when the clicking noise reappear the transfer speed will drop to 1MB/s. Clicking noise stops, goes back up to 100MB/s and so on.

However the above trick only work if I start the transfer during that limited time when the HD stops making the clicking noise.
    If I start to copy a file when it's doing the clicking noise, the transfer speed never pick up and stays under 1MB/s

Based on the above, I was wondering if anyone could think of any way or tool to make my HDD temporarily more stable while I transfer my files.

Thanks

:)

Arese, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Berton Win User

Salvage data from a failing HD (making constant clicking noise) [​IMG]

In the orange box is/are the arms that hold the read/write heads. They travel across the spinning disks/platters. Those are the only moving parts and the clicks one hears is usually the arms snapping back to their resting position when the power is off/lost or the drive is not being read, trying to be accessed.

Depending upon the data it may be retrieved by a company that does it but it gets expensive in a hurry. Used to not be too bad, had to do one for a business about 20 years ago as their books were on it, evaluation cost was $150 which applied to the actual work, came to $350 total but that was before drives starting to get big and users saving music, videos and pictures, have heard upwards of $1000 now.

Berton, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Arese Win User

Hey guys,

My 10 years old HD has finally died.
    One day when I started my PC, the HD started to make a constant clicking noise which I think comes from the read/write arm or head.
    By the sound of it's mechanically stuck in some sort of loop as I can continuously hear: click-click ----- click-click ------ click-click
    It's not completely dead because it can eventually load and boot windows even if it takes like 15min to boot.
    When it does that sound the read/write speed drops to 1MB/s (i've noticed that in the past)

I've booted my system using Kyhi's bootable recovery tool because I knew it wouldn't need my HDD to load the system's files and now I'm trying to transfer my files to my 2nd HDD simply using windows explorer at the moment.

But look It's really interesting, the clicking noise will eventually stop for 10s and if I manage to lunch the transfer of the file in that window, it will work fine and the file will be copied at a transfer rate of 100MB/s.
    However during the transfer when the clicking noise reappear the transfer speed will drop to 1MB/s. Clicking noise stops, goes back up to 100MB/s and so on.

However the above trick only work if I start the transfer during that limited time when the HD stops making the clicking noise.
    If I start to copy a file when it's doing the clicking noise, the transfer speed never pick up and stays under 1MB/s

Based on the above, I was wondering if anyone could think of any way or tool to make my HDD temporarily more stable while I transfer my files.

Thanks

Arese, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Winuser Win User

I take it you don't have a backup of the drive on another drive? It's a mechanical problem and the only thing I can suggest is to get as much of your data copied off of it before it stops working.

Winuser, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Salvage data from a failing HD (making constant clicking noise) - Similar Threads - Salvage data failing

2. GPU makes clicking noise even when the fans are off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU makes clicking noise even when the fans are off: I don't know where to ask this, so maybe the Microsoft forums are the wrong place, but I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 6700xt, and ever since the first day I had it it has made a clicking noise all the time. Even when the fans are off. The clicking gets to higher intensity when I...
  3. GPU makes clicking noise even when the fans are off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU makes clicking noise even when the fans are off: I don't know where to ask this, so maybe the Microsoft forums are the wrong place, but I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 6700xt, and ever since the first day I had it it has made a clicking noise all the time. Even when the fans are off. The clicking gets to higher intensity when I...
  4. Keyboard making clicking noise and not typing in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard making clicking noise and not typing in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]There could be times when your keyboard might be making a clicking noise but not typing in Windows 11 or Windows 10. If that is happening with your right now, you could follow this article to get rid of the issue. It is pretty common when you use the Accessibility...
  5. Makes Windows Noise When I Click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Makes Windows Noise When I Click: On my school computer we use adobe connect for classes and when i get in i will try to click something and it will make the windows noise and the only thing i can do is restart my computer to exit...
  6. Constant fuzzy noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant fuzzy noise: So I recently fixed my black screen of death problem after finding out my old psu was a old geezer. I purchased a Corsair CV550 55W 80+ B and it finally helped the black screen problem. After installing windows 10 again everything went up as it used to do. When trying to plug...
  7. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!: Hello, I'm in need of help. My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage. Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown outside my country: While playing some games her notebook "BSOD'd" with the code: File:\boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c After...
  8. that damn clicking noise from the OSK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    that damn clicking noise from the OSK: How do i stop that bleedingly annoying clicking noise created by the on screen keyboard every time a key is pressed? I can't see any option to shut it up and its driving me crazy. Not bothered if the solution entails registry edits, group policy changes, deleting files from...
  9. restore/backup data from failing HD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore/backup data from failing HD: Hello. Yesterday I noticed a severe and sudden slow-down of my PC. Task manager showed one of the HDs being at 100% usage. SMART showed no errors (yet), so I ran chkdisk over night. Took ages so I bought a new disk to copy my files over. To get around the 100% usage, I did...
  10. Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData: My 5 year old old laptop broke and I have salvaged its HDD with the folders. ( pictured below.) The HDD showed a recovery partition which was empty, and a Data Partition containing 7 folders The AppData and Contacts folders on the salvaged HDD are empty I am planning...