Windows 10: SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes

Discus and support SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks 3 Get arounds to the Samba V4.11.x version(s) not showing (or serving) shares. 1) on "downgradeable" Linux / NAS systems downgrade 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Mar 30, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes

Hi folks

3 Get arounds to the Samba V4.11.x version(s) not showing (or serving) shares.

1) on "downgradeable" Linux / NAS systems downgrade 4 packages to samba 4.10.10-2, smbclient 4.10.10-2, libwbclient 4.10.10-2, ldb 1.5.6-2 (e.g samba,smbclient,libwbclient,ldb)

2) when upgrading block upgrade to these packages

3) on some systems undocumented (or hard to find) this could work --in the [global] section of smb.conf ( the configuration file) specify this : client min protocol = CORE --didn't work on my machine though.

This exposes a risk but some older NAS and other non windows things still use SMB1

I'm sure that because SAMBA is so widely used a proper fix will come out soon -- but given the COV-19 stuff who knows when teams working on these things are fully operational again.

Working with downgraded Samba with newest kernel and rest of system :

SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

Hi folks

Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1

You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course.

also in the samba config file ensure this line is in the global section

[global]
    max protocol = NT1 <===+++++++++++++++++

(Not client max protocol !!)

what this actually does (apart from working !!! ) I have no idea but it fixed 4 Linux machines which suddenly stopped listing Samba shares under network. I saw the suggestion on some weird website - have no idea of the link though - must have been imbibing some of those nice malted fluids kari likes. !!!

Works also with ubuntu guests as well as Hosts and Centos guests and hosts. haven't messed around with other Linux distros as I don't really use them.

SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hello Simon,

To better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• What version of Samba Share are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Mar 30, 2020
  4. mbratch Win User

Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network

I have a peculiar Samba share issue.

I was running Windows 7 on my laptop. I have a file server running Linux and Samba. When I open the Network icon in Windows 7, I see my server there and I can open it and access the associated folder shares.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Now if I double click the network icon, I don't see any machines except my local client laptop. However, if I enter the UNC path to my samba server (\\myserver) into the path bar of Windows Explorer, I can access the server. If I want to add a network printer to my laptop that is shared by the server, it won't find the server in the search list. However, I can enter the literal UNC path to the printer and add it. So it has something to do with nmb I think? Not sure.

Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

mbratch, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

1. SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes - Similar Threads - SAMBA Bugs shares

2. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  3. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  4. Connecting to a Samba Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  5. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Samba sharing and Windows 1803 fix for config file

Samba sharing and Windows 1803 fix for config file: Hi there on the Samba systems (Non Windows such as Linux NAS boxes) if you find you can't see any shares then add this line into the Samba configuration file (SMB.CONF) client max protocol = NT1 This works for (K)UBUNTU 18.04 LTS systems and similar. Note you might also...
  8. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  9. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  10. Creating a samba share in windows 10

Creating a samba share in windows 10: I've been using unauthenticated samba share on my computer for well over a decade using windows 7, vista, and XP (and maybe even further back) to network with various devices in another room via an ethernet cable. I believe Microsoft removed unauthenticated samba shares from...