Windows 10: Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...

Discus and support Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 20H2 : I have tried so many fixes from WFExp View Options, search for corrupted files and register problems, to running different media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cewrx7r1, May 18, 2021.

1. cewrx7r1 Win User

Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...

Windows 10 20H2 : I have tried so many fixes from WFExp View Options, search for corrupted files and register problems, to running different media players as default. I still only see the icons created by the selected default app instead of thumbnails.

:)

cewrx7r1, May 18, 2021

2. Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics

Suddenly all of my picture thumbnails are ICONS, instead of thumbnail pics. I have gone through the steps of Unchecking a box that says "always show ICONS instead of thumbnails" and that did NOT help.

I don't like Microsoft Edge or the Cloud, I think those are the culprits that keep doing this to my thumbnails.

tonigisone, May 18, 2021
  3. No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that icons on your PC for several applications are missing on your PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:

Try running the troubleshooter for File Explorer and see if that helps. Refer the article

Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Method 2:

Try rebuilding Icon and Thumbnail Cache and see if that helps.

Rebuilding Thumbnail Cache:

1. Now press Windows +
      S key together to open Search.
    2. Now type CMD and select Run as administrator.
    3. Accept the UAC prompts.
    4. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

start explorer.exe
    5. Restart the PC

Rebuilding Icon Cache:

1. Press Windows +
      E key together to open File Explorer.
    2. Now click on View tab and check the box next to
      Hidden items.
    3. Press Windows +
      R key together, type Appdata, and click on
      OK
    4. Double-click on Local to open it.
    5. Locate the file name IconCache and right click on it.
    6. Now click on Delete and click on
      Yes.
    7. Restart the PC.

Method 3:

Test the issue on new user account and see if the icons are visible. Refer the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 18, 2021
  4. Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...

Windows 10 showing device icons instead of thumbnails in folders

Hi me15prg9926,

There's a possibility that some folder settings may have changed. It could be set to show icons and not thumbnails. To verify that, please follow the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer.
    • Click the View tab.
    • On the upper-right corner, click Options.
    • On the Folder Options, click the View tab.
    • Under Files and Folders, uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, try checking if the folder icons are already showing thumbnails.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 18, 2021
Thema:

Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...

1. Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for... - Similar Threads - Same problem JEROL

2. how to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in windows 10: how to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-show-thumbnail-pictures-instead-of-icon-in/5612135c-ccda-4378-8804-5af1c9e2c058
  3. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  4. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  5. Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics: Suddenly all of my picture thumbnails are ICONS, instead of thumbnail pics. I have gone through the steps of Unchecking a box that says "always show ICONS instead of thumbnails" and that did NOT help. I don't like Microsoft Edge or the Cloud, I think those are the culprits...
  6. Thumbnails instead of Icon only on a specific folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails instead of Icon only on a specific folder: Hello I'm trying to find out how I can only change the regular icon to show thumbnails only in a specific folder with images that I'm working with, but when I change it, it changes to all the other folders, even Desktop ones. Does anyone knows how to do it? Thanks !...
  7. How to show thumbnails instead of icons?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to show thumbnails instead of icons?: How do I show thumbnails instead of icons? I have it configured under VIEW. And also under PERFORMANCE OPTIONS. However it doesn't work. I still get icons and not thumbnails. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  8. No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview: Hello. Most of my app/software icons have disappeared. Also most of the images show only thumbnailno previews. My folder options are correct. I tried what I found searching but non have worked for me yet. I hope you can help me! Left image is icons missing right one is...
  9. How to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in Windows 10: Hello after searching for this answer through numerous posts from years back I finally figured out the solution myself. Here it is: How to display you picture thumbnails instead of generic icon picture in Windows 10 OS: 1. Open File Explorer (Manila folder icon at...
  10. Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons: Hi: Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is there a command or menu...