Windows 10: Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?

Discus and support Same SSD Used for a new motherboard? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Recently I used two Windows 10 licenses to install 32-bit and 64-bit separately on two SSDs, but now the motherboard just failed. Windows licenses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jtmy888, May 4, 2020.

1. jtmy888 Win User

Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?

Recently I used two Windows 10 licenses to install 32-bit and 64-bit separately on two SSDs, but now the motherboard just failed. Windows licenses seemed to be valid for the SSD/HDD installed on only. If I replaced the motherboard only from a different manufacturer but retaining the two SSDs, can the Windows 10 still run without problems?

:)

jtmy888, May 4, 2020
  2. Jguo65 Win User

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need
    to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license
    on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, May 4, 2020
  3. Jguo65 Win User
    Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi Dave,

Yes this is a retail version of windows 7 that I upgraded to windows 10. Since I'm moving to both a new motherboard and new SSD, I'd mostly just like confirmation that dissociating my digital license from my original hardware will allow me to associate it
    with my new hardware afterwards. Also, what are the specific steps to remove a digital license from Windows 10 in the first place? Does this need to be done by contacting official microsoft reps independently?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, May 4, 2020
  4. Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?

1. Same SSD Used for a new motherboard? - Similar Threads - Same SSD Used

2. New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem: Updated motherboard and case as old system too old for win 11. I am using same SSD with same copy of windows that was authenticated. Now windows 10 sees I have a new system so try to authenticate but I am unable to remember my system password as been using the pin for years....
  3. New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem: Updated motherboard and case as old system too old for win 11. I am using same SSD with same copy of windows that was authenticated. Now windows 10 sees I have a new system so try to authenticate but I am unable to remember my system password as been using the pin for years....
  4. New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd: I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So I upgraded to the MSI z170a motherboard with no installation issues. It booted right up to the bios but won’t actually boot...
  6. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd: I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So I upgraded to the MSI z170a motherboard with no installation issues. It booted right up to the bios but won’t actually boot...
  7. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. New motherboard, same ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New motherboard, same ssd: So, I am purchasing a new motherboard as the current one I have is having issues and has just ran out of warranty MSI B-550 A-ProHowever, I do not want to do a fresh install of windows, so how can I transfer my m.2 ssd over. is it just swapping over or is there more to...
  9. New motherboard, same ssd

New motherboard, same ssd: So, I am purchasing a new motherboard as the current one I have is having issues and has just ran out of warranty MSI B-550 A-ProHowever, I do not want to do a fresh install of windows, so how can I transfer my m.2 ssd over. is it just swapping over or is there more to...
  10. New motherboard, same ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade