Windows 10: Same wifi showing with two names.

Discus and support Same wifi showing with two names. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So Windows 10 (latest build) has been showing me my router with two names since quite a long time. I've tried to reset, run troubleshoot and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RishabhPatel9, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Same wifi showing with two names.

Same wifi showing with two names. 2e5c42a2-afb4-49d2-8a7a-932cccccb59e?upload=true.jpg

So Windows 10 (latest build) has been showing me my router with two names since quite a long time. I've tried to reset, run troubleshoot and remove it via cmd to no avail. It sometimes switches between itself which causes issues while gaming, etc. Please help me get rid of this issue. Thank you.

:)

RishabhPatel9, Dec 2, 2019
  2. NTM2003 Win User

Wifi names

I was wondering can you put anything as a wifi name for example I wanted to put CIA-outpost-#### random number is that illegal? I've seen FBI surveillance van 006 before on my list of wifi names I can pick up.

NTM2003, Dec 2, 2019
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Wifi names

i have personally seen this while driving around.

DRDNA, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Amiga5 Win User

Same wifi showing with two names.

Wifi names

Hey bud

I felt so amazed by this question that I signed up to reply
    You can change it to what you wish in fact its a must

The importance of using protection on your router is something I can't stress enough

The GPU powered cracking software out now would take about 1 minute to get a password the has a standard word or even a word with a few numbers.

WPA2 AES gives the user some very good protection.

The one thing I see all the time is the router being used with a default name and a default password.
    They just plug in and go.
    They don't know what is going on until the police show up with a very unpleasant story about some company being hacked and them suspecting you (worst case scenario) or someone driving by your place ripping off wifi names and passwords to be sold to people who are not so nice to commit crimes
    Use anything you want for a broadcast name a

1st thing get into router and change the name. This is not so important but companies produce lists that are published and getting the brand of the router is as easy as searching for what router types are being sold to the public by the internet provider. Telus and Shaw Canada are bad for this. That list also contains default passwords and user name

2nd make your passwords into that router strong. Not the WiFi password but the admin password
    it used to be you had to be hooked in by a lan cable to be able to get into the router itself so that changes could be made. Not so with today's routers. A wireless connection can get in if they have a way in. Use combinations of letters, numbers, and upper and lower case for that.
    The amount of characters are not many that is allowed so make it hard but something you can remember
    I use things like My37PasOr0Fe685 (get the idea)

Finally WPA2 AES is strong. 63 characters in length but it will encrypt it.
    For instance I can put in Mary had a little lamb whos fleece was white as snow but after it encrypts all your router would accept is the phrase that has been converted to random letters numbers and that is the access code to use. For heaven sake write it down.
    A good method of protection in today's routers is only accept connection with a certain mac code
    This makes it so only the computer that uses the wireless adapter or Lan adapter Physical address (MAC) will be allowed to connect at all.
    You still need the access code for the wireless but even if it gets found out a connection can't be made unless the computer with that MAC code is used.

To end this I would say the best protection to use is done by 2 switches. Make the broadcast of the router hidden and on computer side make sure the connect even if broadcast is hidden is checked

You would have to enter the WiFi network name and its password to connect. It would not show up at all on any connection list.

Regards
    Amiga5

Amiga5, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Same wifi showing with two names.

1. Same wifi showing with two names. - Similar Threads - Same wifi showing

2. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  3. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  4. two processes with the same name at the same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two processes with the same name at the same time: Hi. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit with Service Pack 1 on acer laptopEvery time when I turn on my laptop and open the task manager and open the "Processes" tab I see two processes with the same name at the same time, those two processes called "dwm.exe" .the first...
  5. two processes with the same name at the same time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two processes with the same name at the same time: Hi. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit with Service Pack 1 on acer laptopEvery time when I turn on my laptop and open the task manager and open the "Processes" tab I see two processes with the same name at the same time, those two processes called "dwm.exe" .the first...
  6. Two folders of the same name in the same folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Two folders of the same name in the same folder: Hi All, Could someone please help me to understand if there is any problems with this. By accident, I just discovered one of my folders has two subfolders which are of exactly the same name, though their date stamps are different. It must have come about when I mass...
  7. Windows showing two different wifi connection for the same router.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows showing two different wifi connection for the same router.: [ATTACH] I switched off the router to see whether both the connections goes of and it did. So which means for the same router windows is showing two connection and I can connect to both the connection. The strange part this doesn't show up in my android phone....
  8. Two Games with the same name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Games with the same name.: Why does Windows have a problem with video games with the same name? EA has two different versions of the video game Need for Speed Most Wanted. But that is all they have in common. The first Need for Speed Most Wanted was developed by Black Box Games and was released in...
  9. Two User Accounts with same name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two User Accounts with same name: Hi everyone, I'm well aware that this topic was posted multiple times. However non of the so far provided solutions worked for me. Two days ago I reinstalled windows. During the installation process my computer had no internet connection, so I created a local account. Later...
  10. Two direct access with the same name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two direct access with the same name: The direct access to myPictures folder name change to videos and now redirects to myVideos folder. So now I have two same shortcuts and I can not change one of them because this cahnge will also affect the other one. I atach a picture of the problem [ATTACH]...