Windows 10: Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10?

Discus and support Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So i just got a chance to put the drive back in,install windows 8.1 then upgrade to 10 with no issues...I have no clue why it's working again.lol. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nd022, Aug 23, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10?

Truthfully i believe it should of been set to AHCI mode for an SSD,as you may have issues again. Changing now that installed OS not sure if possible, plus you need make sure it will install proper Controller drivers then.

jds63, Aug 24, 2015
  2. nd022 Win User

This is what happened when i set it. And yes, it didn't like it too much. Strange cause i pulled that off when it asked me to do it with samsung magician software or whatever.

https://i.imgur.com/SY8u6BD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5IFbek4.jpg

Not sure how to get to that point now besides trying what everyone has mentioned or just set it to AHCI mode and reinstall windows again.

Update: I was able to switch to AHCI mode using this guide:

How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8 After Installation

Seems to have no issues with using that guide on Windows 10 as far as i can see. For the controller drivers do you mean,chipset drivers? Seems like they are just updated for Windows 8.1 and not 10.

nd022, Aug 25, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    I never knew your real determined issue except freezes ups and lock ups, thought i asked here about if you had Blue screen error as you have shown now. What i was asking was to look at Event Viewer for red marked errors before you reinstalled OS as still would of been there then and would given us a better understanding of what was causing your issue. Many reasons for lock ups and freeze ups on PC. Found this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows

Open the Device Manager and look under IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers list what is there and check the driver version and date, chances yes windows 10 could have given you latest drivers as it did this for me with intel. Always check PC manufacturer site.
    Seen these ways of switching to AHCI hopefully it works right for you. Other thing can be is bad hardware at this point if different from other reasons in article posted. I had a Crucial SSD use to disappear on me in BIOS and explorer, i thought was controller, port or sata cable, but evetually was the SSD. This was strange because when a SSD fails, it just goes all at once.

jds63, Aug 25, 2015
  4. nd022 Win User

I know i should of looked at the error log and probably would of been an easier fix to see what was going on at the moment. All i can think was the drive was finished and just put back the older on.That was the first error that i got that was that one. The other one i didnt get a picture of it but it would blue screen when it would do the upgrade to windows 10.Transferring files from and external usb hard drive to my laptop with the SSD drive installed would start bottlenecking half way through,sometimes crashing. It just didn't act like that before. It's hard to say now if it's something i did to start that problem/windows 10/driver or firmware problem, just not sure.

Right now though it seems to be functioning fine. If it decides to start acting up, i'll make sure this time to check the error logs and post it here.I checked out the IDE controller like you said and this was the info:

https://i.imgur.com/vuUfEnT.png

Seems like a really old driver so maybe i'll see about checking dell and trying to update it. Thanks again.

nd022, Aug 25, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    When you said the drive was finished what did you mean, thought it was bad ? Blue screen picture you did post here you made no mention about article i linked and causes it could of been from upgrade. Basically you did same procedure again, now, with upgrade as the first time you did with this SSD.

Article mentioned to try a clean install, there might be a certain period you have to go back to old OS (30 days). Where you sure was SSD crashing when transferring files from External device and not USB device. Bottlenecking, to confirm this could of tried testing the drive while in with a benchmark program. Most of these cases are between CPU and GPU. Did you use the Samsung Magician, thought might be issues with it in Windows 10, because can show performance of Drive.

What you see in Device manager is same for me, but i also have one above this, Intel, see in pic. Do you have a CD-ROM or DVD ROM Drive, sure you must ? If ain't something with the installation of upgrade might be either the SSD or some other hardware issue or driver issue.

Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10? [​IMG]

jds63, Aug 25, 2015
  6. nd022 Win User
    Yes, i just thought it stopped working for whatever reason and didn't really troubleshoot as much as i should of. Just needed a working laptop at the moment so swapped the drives. Sorry, i forgot to check out that link. The 'inaccessible_boot_device' sounds really familiar and may have be what happened with the whole upgrade process. Can't remember what it was called but did the full upgrade where it doesn't keep any system files or programs and everything. Was hoping that it would help things break less.No, i cant say that it wasn't my USB drive messing up but it's a new drive and enclousure but, that doesnt mean it can't fail i guess so soon.

I'm starting to think more and more it maybe had something to do with the samsung magician program. There is a lot of different things you can adjust but maybe it was something i changed for the 'os optimization' or one of those. I know though it wasn't an immediate crash after i changed it and everything functioned normally. As of right now i don't have it installed and the system is working just fine. No problems.I purchased the drive on Amazon and there are reviews of the latest firmware being bad supposely.(Mostly after its upgraded to the latest one, it seems)

My drive had the latest firmware on there when i got it too. Maybe they will put out a newer firmware or the software program compatible with windows 10.The Alienware 15 laptops don't come with dvd drives, that i know of. My model is a early 2015 one.Most of the drivers were found in device manager with Win 10 but just went through the dell drivers for Windows 8.1 and found the Intel HM87 Chipset Driver. I installed it and looks like the ide/ata controller has been updated similar to yours:

Maybe that will help things out now that those drivers are installed.

https://i.imgur.com/MDLiVsE.png

The system feels stable right now, and no issues. I'm keeping a lookout for if it starts to act weird like before though. thanks for the help.

nd022, Aug 26, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    I understand ! Link i gave you was according to your blue screen message image you posted here saying "inaccessible boot device", either install, bad partition on SSD. Slim chance it is the SSD because they usually brick if there are bad., but i have seen some weird things with them as issue i had with one disappearing, replaced with another SSD all was fine for good.

So you did the upgrade from the media creation tool , as we all know have to upgrade before can do a clean install.If going to keep Windows 10, get the disc do a clean install. Not sure about those drivers for controller,you did get them from Dell and what date on driver,i mean they do seem correct ?

Would not bother with Samsung Magician at this point, wait on it till Windows 10 version comes out.As said i have Samsung 850 Evo no issues, never used the magician and it benchmarks fine. Try using trim function in optimization from property of the drive, check for errors, run system file checker and DISM. I see no latest Firmware for 850, as mine is few months old and never updated that.

Hard to say if it is firmware related, but i think many of us with this drive would have issues. Both my IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controller driver was on Windows 10, most others i downloaded from my motherboard site like chipset too. Still being early 2015 it's surprising not any newer Windows 10 drivers on Dell's site. Most to get would be chipset, Network driver as others like Video adapter and sound you can get from those manufacturer's sites. Way windows 10 auto updates work chances some come from there.

Your welcome, try to think of a program to use to test the drive,most use Crystal Mark, but i am not crazy about it.

jds63, Aug 26, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

jds63, Aug 26, 2015
  9. nd022 Win User
    I did the upgrade a few ways in the past. One was just downloading the upgrade tool, another was converting the ESD file over to an iso and creating a bootable usb drive. The one i currently did was just extract the iso files and upgrade from windows 8.1.Seem to have no issues with it besides the crazy boot error you mentioned.I still can't figure out how to get windows 10 to activate from a clean install if i install it directly(They mentioned it was possible) Made sure i logged into the microsoft account and everything once i upgraded but it would not let me activate like that.Have to do the upgrade regardless to get it to work.

Not really a problem just takes more steps to get it up and running.Yes the drivers were from dell and they were made for windows 8.1(no windows 10 chipset drivers quite yet)The date still said something in 2006, i have no clue why.The trim command looks to be auto setup for once a week.DISM is all new to me so i'll take a look at that.The Crystal Mark program sounds familiar. May have to see if it atleast compares to other ones tested with this. Still no problems that i have seen come up since my last reinstall.

I checked on your other post about the full install and, it say 'the machine is permananetly activated' when i run this command:

'slmgr /xpr'

So for Windows 10 to activate from a clean install, do i need to login to my windows/hotmail account so it will verify it? It didn't work for me last time when i tried and didn't need to try this time since i did the upgrade. Again i use the WIndows 10 ESD file converted over to ISO then made to a bootable drive.I'll take a look though at that link and see what other people say.

nd022, Aug 27, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Basically had the downloaded files in a Windows BT folder and this was where you made ISO from install.esd file. This is how i made a disc before i even upgraded, but i upgraded as you have to do first before clean install, then later with disc i made i did a clean install. As had to upgrade first to get it activated then can do clean install. Maybe something about that you changed the drive, but most say will have no effect to activation. Meaning extracting ISO, you mounted it in explorer and ran the .exe file.

This boot error again is what you posted as having at one point, believe either due to partition on the drive as said in the article i potsed or a problem with the upgrade and or the SSD. Logging on to Microsoft account has nothing to do with getting it activated, do need a internet connection, as it's done by Microsoft servers.

Chances some of these drivers will be on Windows 10 you need and will work o.k. for now. Have to look again at your Manufacturer's specs if they are here. Just wanted to get an idea of how the drive was running and it's health by using a benchmark and even a SMART status, as Magician had this but i believe was not made for Windows 10.

So at this point it is just another upgrade, no clean install ? I would hold off on clean install till you know the drive acts o.k.. The thing is when you initially did the upgrade you only have 30 days to roll back to Windows 8.1. Think if you have a disc for Windows 8.1 it will be possible to go back only. If that slgmr command says your active, then your good.

For a clean install to be activated you need to be activated from an upgrade, no need for anything else done like logon to MS. Not sure about what happened exactly the last time you tried clean install after upgrade and when it was, if on 29th of July many had activation issues then, possible overloaded servers at MS. Try some other slgmr commands if ever do clean install and have issues with activation, but backup all software and files first. As said before can't recall if Windows 8.1 came on system or used a disc.

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Samsung 850 pro

2. Samsung 850 Pro SSD installed - Optimisation not available?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 850 Pro SSD installed - Optimisation not available?: I acquired a Samsumng 850 Pro anc copied my HDD to it. Booted with new SSD installed, and ran "winsat formal" Rebooted and went to Drive C:/Properties/Tools and selected "Optimise" [img] As you can see it says I can't optimise the drive! Samsung Magician says Trim is...
  3. Samsung 850 EVO drive benchmark issue.

Samsung 850 EVO drive benchmark issue.: Can anyone with a Samsung 850 EVO drive and using the latest version of Magician run a performance benchmark test for me and post their results? I've run into a weird issue where the benchmark temporarily locks up my machine around 8/9 percent and the percentage circle...
  4. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I...
  5. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE: [img] 79508
  6. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  7. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB DRIVERS ??

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB DRIVERS ??: Samsung Magician 5.0 claims System NOT Compatible. Drivers need update. t to URL they said to go, tried several drivers, but almost all are for RAID !! [img] 79484
  8. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  9. Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10

Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10: I have Win 10 (10240) installed and a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD to install. The current versions of the Samsung supplied software, Magician 4.6 (I downloaded this because the one supplied with the SSD wasn't the current one) and Data Migration 2.7 don't recognize the SSD....
  10. Windows 10 and Samsung 850 EVO SSD performance issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 and Samsung 850 EVO SSD performance issues: I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and am getting extremely slow performance from my Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Running Samsung magician to test my benchmark performance, I am getting: Random read/write (IOPS) of 16483/17594 respectively Seq Read/Write (MB/s) of 245/462...