Windows 10: Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Discus and support Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Anyone ever bought one ?? Comparing performance to Samsung 850 Pro SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jds63, Nov 9, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

2. Installing Windows 10 onto a Samsung Pro M.2 drive

I have a MSI X99S SLI Plus motherboard with an M.2 slot with the latest BIOS and drivers installed. I currently boot from a Samsung 850 pro 256gb SSD with Windows 7 Pro on it. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 but I would like to install it onto a Samsung
    950 Pro M.2 NVM Express drive that I installed into the M.2 slot on my motherboard.

When I install the driver for the Samsung 950 Pro into my Windows 7 Pro drive, it appears to install OK and I can "see" the Samsung 950 Pro device. But, when I reboot my system, my Windows 7 Pro install, which is on my Samsung 850 is corrupt and I have to
    revert to system restore to be able to boot back into my Windows 7.

I have tried installing the driver, then used Samsung Magician to clone my Samsung 850 Pro over to my Samsung 950 Pro and it appeared to copy OK but when I reboot, I get an error that the Samsung 950 Pro install is corrupt and can not boot.

I even removed the other drives so that the Samsung 950 Pro was the only drive in the system.

I believe that I must have at least Windows 8.1 to be able to successfully install this device. I have Windows 8.1 on another PC that I would be glad to migrate but it originally came with Windows 8 and I qualified for the free upgrade to 8.1. So, I can't
    even use that install to get my Samsung 950 Pro setup as my Windows boot device.

Is there a way that I can download a copy of Windows 10, install it onto my Samsung 950 Pro and use my free upgrade rights to activate it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

ReyMennitto, Nov 9, 2015
  3. duey_666 Win User
    Update 1709 installed but Update History shows requires restart

I have a custom gaming rig which I built my self it houses

Samsung V-NAND SSD 950 PRO M.2 NVMe which holds my OS

Samsung 840 EVO and 850 EVO and a western digital blue HDD.

I have no problems with these types of drives and the update.

As I mentioned before try the update assistant it help for me.

duey_666, Nov 9, 2015
  4. doorules Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

I have two of the 512 gb versions on the way to play around with. Going to put them in new build with the Asrock Z170 extreme7+ mobo.
    Several people running them already though.

doorules, Nov 9, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Sounds nice, let us know how it goes !

jds63, Nov 9, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm currently debating between the ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ or OC Formula.

I like how OC has a better power phase and better for overclocking, but the Extreme has a few features the OC doesn't. Both are great boards though.

Comparison table | Hardware.Info United States

What made the difference for you?

Brink, Nov 9, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I plan on getting a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in my next build for the OS drive.

Brink, Nov 9, 2015
  8. doorules Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

I have a couple of friends online who have the extreme 7 and they really liked the board. They also are using a 950 for OS drive without issue, that pretty much sealed it for me. And of course the extreme has 3 M.2 slots . I will make use of two of them, see what we can do with some different array setups. *Smile

doorules, Nov 9, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    M.2 SSD have been out awhile, very tempting, but sometimes read opinions to be not much faster but specs certainly show a difference. Sadly i only have 1 M.2 as far as i can see on this board http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5138#sp

SATA or M.2 Samsung does make the best ones, IMHO.

jds63, Nov 9, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Hey Brink, unfortunately my Board now will only get up to 10 Gb /s even though i support PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector . Will need as shown by you the newer Z170 not below this number to get full potential out of Samsung 950 Pro M.2 which reaches up to 36 Gb /s.

jds63, Dec 5, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hmm, you think they wouldn't have that bottleneck.

Brink, Dec 5, 2015
  12. Phone Man Win User
    My understanding is your motherboard needs to support M.2 NVMe protocol to get the higher performance and is only available with the new Z170 chipset.

On my wish list for my next build which will be a while as the wife wants to tour England (and maybe a few other countries) next year.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 6, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Yeah, it'll be sometime next year before I can update as well.

Brink, Dec 6, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Mine supports M.2 NVMe, on a X99 board in my specs. Right next to the PCIe M.2 connection it even says 10 Gb /s. So i felt not worth it to get Samsung 950 Pro then, I have 850 Pro SSD i 'll survive.

Good luck with vacation, Nice !

jds63, Dec 6, 2015
  15. doorules Win User
    Late here. Just got new system up and running. Threw in the two 950 pro's and made a quick array to play with. First runs look promising. Will try to optimize some more over the next couple of days...

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 [​IMG]

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 [​IMG]

doorules, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

1. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 - Similar Threads - Samsung 950 Pro

2. Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2: Hi I recently installed Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 on my Dell Inspiron 3268. Using Samsung Data migration tool, I copied my OS to SSD and wanted to make SSD as my boot drive, but is not getting shown up in BIOS as boot option. I can see PCI as loaded in BIOS, can also see...
  3. Asus x99 PRO post code D4 with Samsung 950 PRO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus x99 PRO post code D4 with Samsung 950 PRO: Hello, I am experiencing a black screen hang-up during boot. The screen shows the ASUS motherboard logo, then black screen hangs for about 1m and 15seconds, then proceeds to boot into windows. During he long hang, motherboard shows QCode "D4" (PCI resource allocation...
  4. Samsung 950 PRO NVM Express Driver

Samsung 950 PRO NVM Express Driver: Hi all, I just got a Dell Precision 7710. Naturally, the first thing I did is take the $2 HDD out and put in a 950 PRO NVMe SSD. Per something I read on a Dell document, I needed Intel RST RAID driver F6 loaded when I clean installed Windows 10 x64. It works fine, but...
  5. Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe not recognised after installing windows

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe not recognised after installing windows: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem with Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe. I would appreciate your help as my knowledge in hardware and software is minimal. So thank you in advance. I have just finished installing windows 10 in a new pc while using old HDD drives...
  6. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and rapid mode

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and rapid mode: Hi guys, finally made the leap from Win 7 to Win 10 and built a new machine as per my signature. It's working quite nicely apart from one minor wrinkle with the Samsung 950 pro ssd and rapid mode. While the 950 pro is fast and bench marks where it should be I can't...
  7. Samsung's 950 Pro SSD

Samsung's 950 Pro SSD: Samsung gets a lot of love for its solid-state drives, which pack super-fast storage into small packages thanks to the company’s V-NAND technology—but its new drives crank things to 11. On Tuesday, Samsung announced 950 Pro M.2 SSDs that marry V-NAND density with blazing fast...
  8. Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 + Samsung 950 Pro (250GB) M.2 Speed Issues?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 + Samsung 950 Pro (250GB) M.2 Speed Issues?: Hello, I have the following: - Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 - Intel i7-5820K Extreme Hex Core CPU Processor (3.30GHz, 15MB Cache, 28 Lanes) - Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 256 GB Solid State Drive - Asus STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card I have only...
  9. SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD: I bought a new SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD. Mr Google on several sites said that a DVD install will fail at the make Partition stage. I installed from a DVD no problem. The only changes I made in the UEFI was to disable the other drives so as to be sure to install to the...
  10. Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs: Case King here in Germanyalready has the 970s on order. Here are the prices for us here: [img]