Windows 10: Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Discus and support Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Mine supports M.2 NVMe, on a X99 board in my specs. Right next to the PCIe M.2 connection it even says 10 Gb /s. So i felt not worth it to get Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jds63, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Phone Man Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

This is from Gigabyte on your board.

NVMe mode is not supported on X99 chipset.

Jim *Nerd

Phone Man, Dec 6, 2015
  2. jds63 Win User

Yes i see that now, but BIOS F6 i have shows support for MVMe http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=5138#bios
    What your saying i am not sure because in the BIOS no mode for MVMe what mode would i switch to only IDE and AHCI. I would use an M.2 drive as the primary OS drive and the other SATA Express for secondary drives and so on. Gigabyte told me it would then eliminate SATA ports 4 and 5 if i used a M.2. I have 0-5 SATA Ports.

jds63, Dec 6, 2015
  3. doorules Win User
    Still improving *Smile

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 [​IMG]

doorules, Dec 11, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

One strange thing is access time is slower then my SSD, as mine is at 0.03ms

jds63, Dec 11, 2015
  5. doorules Win User
    Not sure if it has anything to do with mine being in an array as opposed to a single drive

Just checked some single 950 results and response times were about same as array so that is probably not the answer.

doorules, Dec 11, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Just an observation on my part as i have 3 SSD's with better access time then you are showing. Since i am not familiar with using an M.2 was why i posted this thread.

jds63, Dec 11, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

From what I've read about it, it's not so much a chipset matter but rather a bios support matter.
    Obviously, since this is relatively new, you'd rather find NVMe support on new boards were bios updates are more active than on older boards that have been superceded.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Says so on F6 BIOS, but again i can only get up to 10 Gb/'s no matter what.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=5138#bios

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sure but at least there's support for the protocol which allows booting from the drive.
    Maximum performance is possibly still limited by other hardware controllers. An important one being the DMI chipset which is limited to 2Gb/s on most Intel based boards for now.

Either way, I consider 10Gb/s stellar performance, don't you ? *Smile

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 12, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Yeah, but not when your buying a drive meant to perform at 32 Gb/s and spending that money for it. I believe my board was meant more for older M.2's before Samsung 950 Pro.

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

That's what I think as well. I haven't gone through all the specs ofyour board but it sounds as if it's capped by PCIe Gen 2 limitations.
    I could well be wrong though.

I know that you could go up to the theoretical 32Gb/s limit with the latest bios updates and adaptor cards offered for all Asus boards sporting either an X99 chipset or a Z97.

There's also a MB manufacturer which offers boosted M2 ports. I think it's MSI, haven't checked that yet.

No idea how well those perform in real life though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 12, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    As you can see on this M.2 QVL list for my board, Samsung's listed are not 950 Pro, but older Gen 3 models

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 [​IMG]

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  13. fdegrove Win User

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

Hi,

I suppose this is the one you're running now : Samsung MZ-V5P256BW ?

With an MTBF of 1.500.000 hours I think you'll have changed the current MB for a more compatible one long before the drive dies, right ? *Wink

If it's any consolation, using my current MB it'll likely not even be bootable......*Sad

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 12, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    No, have it all wrong, my original post was asking thoughts on M.2 and the new Samsung Pro 950 as i do not have one, was questioning and thinking about getting one, but after research it seems limited for me to buy this new model Samsung. Check my specs.

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I did but thought you hadn't changed them yet.
    So I assumed you had it running and had benchmarked it. No big deal really.
    But short of trying it out or asking questions on perhaps the MB manufacturer's forum it's hard to tell with so little information on these drives for now.

You know, that QVL list is just what they certify to work.
    Since the MB supports NVMe protocol, X99 and will use the PCIe Gen 3 bandwidth and so on it might well be worth it to at least ask around. Up to you of course but that's what I'd do.

Over here in Europe those drives sell for roughly 200$ including VAT. While not exactly cheap it's still extremely good value.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

1. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 - Similar Threads - Samsung 950 Pro

2. Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2: Hi I recently installed Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 on my Dell Inspiron 3268. Using Samsung Data migration tool, I copied my OS to SSD and wanted to make SSD as my boot drive, but is not getting shown up in BIOS as boot option. I can see PCI as loaded in BIOS, can also see...
  3. Asus x99 PRO post code D4 with Samsung 950 PRO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus x99 PRO post code D4 with Samsung 950 PRO: Hello, I am experiencing a black screen hang-up during boot. The screen shows the ASUS motherboard logo, then black screen hangs for about 1m and 15seconds, then proceeds to boot into windows. During he long hang, motherboard shows QCode "D4" (PCI resource allocation...
  4. Samsung 950 PRO NVM Express Driver

Samsung 950 PRO NVM Express Driver: Hi all, I just got a Dell Precision 7710. Naturally, the first thing I did is take the $2 HDD out and put in a 950 PRO NVMe SSD. Per something I read on a Dell document, I needed Intel RST RAID driver F6 loaded when I clean installed Windows 10 x64. It works fine, but...
  5. Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe not recognised after installing windows

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe not recognised after installing windows: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem with Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe. I would appreciate your help as my knowledge in hardware and software is minimal. So thank you in advance. I have just finished installing windows 10 in a new pc while using old HDD drives...
  6. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and rapid mode

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and rapid mode: Hi guys, finally made the leap from Win 7 to Win 10 and built a new machine as per my signature. It's working quite nicely apart from one minor wrinkle with the Samsung 950 pro ssd and rapid mode. While the 950 pro is fast and bench marks where it should be I can't...
  7. Samsung's 950 Pro SSD

Samsung's 950 Pro SSD: Samsung gets a lot of love for its solid-state drives, which pack super-fast storage into small packages thanks to the company’s V-NAND technology—but its new drives crank things to 11. On Tuesday, Samsung announced 950 Pro M.2 SSDs that marry V-NAND density with blazing fast...
  8. Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 + Samsung 950 Pro (250GB) M.2 Speed Issues?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 + Samsung 950 Pro (250GB) M.2 Speed Issues?: Hello, I have the following: - Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 - Intel i7-5820K Extreme Hex Core CPU Processor (3.30GHz, 15MB Cache, 28 Lanes) - Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 256 GB Solid State Drive - Asus STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card I have only...
  9. SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD: I bought a new SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD. Mr Google on several sites said that a DVD install will fail at the make Partition stage. I installed from a DVD no problem. The only changes I made in the UEFI was to disable the other drives so as to be sure to install to the...
  10. Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs: Case King here in Germanyalready has the 970s on order. Here are the prices for us here: [img]