Windows 10: Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Discus and support Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Your attachment doesn't work, please follow this guide. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pablo239, May 28, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Your attachment doesn't work, please follow this guide.

swarfega, Jun 2, 2017
  2. Cliff S New Member

If you haven't yet, use the High Performance power option, and in BIOS turn off C1E support and all C-States(unless you are running a very high overclock(like me) and using only air cooling, that might overheat your CPU). The C-Sates effect NVMe SSD performance. do you have intel c state disabled or enabled? - Page 3

Leave indexing on, as I have had problems with some programs with it off.

Also turning write cash buffer flushing is not a good idea at all, because should you loose power, or need to do a hard shut down because of a system freeze for some reason, data transfer can cut and cause a "soft" or logical bad sectors and will require a Chkdsk to repair it, if it can.

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed [​IMG]
    Information logical — or soft — bad sector is a cluster of storage on the hard drive that appears to not be working properly. The operating system may have tried to read data on the hard drive from this sector and found that the error-correcting code (ECC) didn’t match the contents of the sector, which suggests that something is wrong. These may be marked as bad sectors, but can be repaired by overwriting the drive with zeros — or, in the old days, performing a low-level format. Windows’ Disk Check tool can also repair such bad sectors. Bad Sectors Explained: Why Hard Drives Get Bad Sectors and What You Can Do About It

Cliff S, Jun 2, 2017
  3. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Heeeeyyyy!!! You got it finally!
    How did you get Windows on, clean install or just reimaged?

My Samsung M.2 NVMe PM951 can't use Magician, as it is an OEM version, and is the "Grandfather" of the 960's, and only comes with OEM machines, or from custom PC builders.

For that matter, it doesn't even show up in BIOS unless I temporarily switch from AHCI to RAID(but without a RAID setup, it just uses the IRST drivers), but shows up in Windows because I also have IRST installed there.

Cliff S, Jun 2, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Jun 2, 2017
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    For clarity, it shows up as a boot drive or else your system wouldn't boot (assuming you're booting from it).

Anyway mine also doesn't show up in my BIOS either and when I questioned Gigabyte tech support about this, they reminded me of the above, but also stated that the Samsung NVMe drives have their own "BIOS" and thus the reason they tend not to show up in desktop BIOS'.

I'm sure there's a bit more to it, but that's the jist of the story. And yeah, I'm on AHCI.

sygnus21, Jun 3, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    The M.2 is a SCSI device, and not SATA

If I open properties(in disk management) for a normal 2.5" SSD it shows the BIOS device name

On the M.2 NVMe it's doesn't have this

That I find ,and look for/at, things like this, just proves, I really need to get a life*Redface

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Morning Cliff.

I did a clean install. The drive just showed up in BIOS so I didn't need to do anything funky. Should I install IRST?

swarfega, Jun 3, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Yep always for SSD's. But make sure you get the correct one, as there are different ones for different setups/system/uses.
    This is the one I use, and like you I have a 6700K and multiple SSD's.

It's the latest, get it here: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Be sure to only get this one:

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Oh and be sure to turn off Link Power Management in the Performance tab too. SSD's don't need to "sleep" or park their heads(they don't have any).

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    Thanks Cliff, you've been a great help.

EDIT: it says unsupported chipset. This is for the new optane memory which I dont have.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2017
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Interesting because we both have the exact same MB ....and I installed IRST without any issues.

OldMike65, Jun 3, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

You need the one I highlighted, not the top one.

Here is a direct link: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Jun 3, 2017
  15. swarfega Win User
    That worked!

Only thing is, it doesn't mention the 960, I guess because its NVMe rather than Sata based.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed - Similar Threads - Samsung 960 Pro

2. Ethernet not reaching max speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not reaching max speeds: We recently switch form provider, because we have fiber internet now. But for some reason I don't reach the 1Gbps speed using ethernet. The problem isn't with our provider see figure 1 and 2. The ethernet cable isn't the problem either, I first used a cat 5e cable and...
  3. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  4. WIFI 5G max speed

WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  5. WIFI 5G max speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  6. Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series: ========================================================= UPDATED Feb.6th 2018 ========================================================= I am seeing reports on the Samsung Forums that the new 4Bxxxxx Firmware is not working for everyone with the 960 Pro or only works for...
  7. Samsung's 950 Pro SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung's 950 Pro SSD: Samsung gets a lot of love for its solid-state drives, which pack super-fast storage into small packages thanks to the company’s V-NAND technology—but its new drives crank things to 11. On Tuesday, Samsung announced 950 Pro M.2 SSDs that marry V-NAND density with blazing fast...
  8. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  9. 960 evo nvme speed improvement

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    960 evo nvme speed improvement: I have a new system with a 960 evo nvme. The system bios is legacy. If i change the bios to uefi and change the mbr to gpt, would i gain any significant speed improvement with the nvme drive? Currently i am underwhelmed by the speed of the nvme in comparison to a 850 pro on...
  10. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 News
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives: [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO, its newest solid state drives (SSDs). The V-NAND based, M.2 form factor SSDs were built on the company’s category-defining...