Windows 10: Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Discus and support Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; That worked! Only thing is, it doesn't mention the 960, I guess because its NVMe rather than Sata based. [img] Correct. NVMe M.2 is PCIe and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pablo239, May 28, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Correct. NVMe M.2 is PCIe and not SATA.

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  2. Cliff S New Member

http://www.nvmexpress.org/wp-content...l_NVMe_FAQ.pdf

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  3. pablo239 Win User
    Okay so here's that result for CrystalDiskMark again:

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed [​IMG]

i know I'm probably asking for too much, but I still think that score could be improved a bit. I seen other people who've had better results than me, plus I have got really good hardware. Can there be something else i'm missing?

pablo239, Jun 4, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Honestly, I think you're getting caught up in chasing other people's scores as some go to serious lengths the get the highest score possible. Sometimes it's not about actual PC usage but benchmarks. That said, your scores look really good.

BTW what's the Magician benchmark numbers look like?

sygnus21, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    The more you bench an M.2, the warmer it get's. They are really bad like that. And these so called heat shields being developed, are worthless, and some actually aggravate the problem, by trapping heat under the SSD. The only thing you can do when benchmarking them, is get some kind of fan on them.

That said, you do realize, those benchmarks are really useless wear & tear to the disk, and use up the TBW?

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    Mine was idling at 47c last night.

swarfega, Jun 4, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    Mine use to idle around 51, but since moving to a new MB where the NVMe slot doesn't sit directly my two slot GPU, temps dropped to an average of 47. It's currently running at 43 right now but my room is pretty cool right now, currently.

sygnus21, Jun 4, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Nice to know its normal temps. My mobo only has one m.2 slot so I have no choice. Its under the graphics card but I guess the card's fans might help with cooling the 960.

swarfega, Jun 4, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Mine sits directly between the CPU and graphics card

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2017
  10. swarfega Win User
    So by being there, it adds a little heat but not much.

swarfega, Jun 4, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Not really, as I have good air flow*Smile

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    On my previous Z170 build here the NVMe drive basically sits underneath the GPU and thus runs hotter...

With my current Kaby lake system (Z270 board), the NVme drive sits below the GPU and runs cooler. If you click this Image to enlarge it you'll clearly see the drive, whereas in the top image you won't

This is one of the reasons I decided to move from my Z170 board to the Z270 board, amongst other thing.

I also opened up a bit more space by removing my Creative ZxR card as I no longer need it being I run an external DAC. This helps remove any restricted air flow the card may have caused. The result of these changes... a much cooler NVMe drive. BTW this is a Samsung 950 Pro.

sygnus21, Jun 4, 2017
  13. pablo239 Win User

I just noticed Samsung released a new version of their Magician Software. This version adds a new performance optimization section. When i click on that, it brings up the Windows Defragment and Optimize Drives utility. I initially thought this was gonna defrag my SSD but then I found out all it does is TRIM it. And it is run on a weekly schedule. Plus there is a System Reserved partition that is also scheduled. Should i leave it at that?

Also, do you recommend that I should enable/disable Write-caching?

pablo239, Jun 10, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Let Windows take care of setting the system up for your SSD.
    So basically said, you do not need to make any changes, to any system settings.
    Microsoft's technicians work closely with the hardware industry and know which settings to use.
    The even know the "secrete" stuff the reviewers, testers, and of course, users don't know.

As to how often trim will be done, it will be done, when it needs to be done, I have found.
    even though it's set for weekly, it might be done in 10 days, 15days, or even a month; but it does get done when it's needed.
    Windows runs Auto Maintenance on a daily schedule, to check what needs to be done, and only does what it needs to, so it doesn't slow your system down, and it will usually do it after a small amount of time you are not giving any input.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed - Similar Threads - Samsung 960 Pro

2. Ethernet not reaching max speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not reaching max speeds: We recently switch form provider, because we have fiber internet now. But for some reason I don't reach the 1Gbps speed using ethernet. The problem isn't with our provider see figure 1 and 2. The ethernet cable isn't the problem either, I first used a cat 5e cable and...
  3. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  4. WIFI 5G max speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  5. WIFI 5G max speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  6. Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series: ========================================================= UPDATED Feb.6th 2018 ========================================================= I am seeing reports on the Samsung Forums that the new 4Bxxxxx Firmware is not working for everyone with the 960 Pro or only works for...
  7. Samsung's 950 Pro SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung's 950 Pro SSD: Samsung gets a lot of love for its solid-state drives, which pack super-fast storage into small packages thanks to the company’s V-NAND technology—but its new drives crank things to 11. On Tuesday, Samsung announced 950 Pro M.2 SSDs that marry V-NAND density with blazing fast...
  8. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  9. 960 evo nvme speed improvement

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    960 evo nvme speed improvement: I have a new system with a 960 evo nvme. The system bios is legacy. If i change the bios to uefi and change the mbr to gpt, would i gain any significant speed improvement with the nvme drive? Currently i am underwhelmed by the speed of the nvme in comparison to a 850 pro on...
  10. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 News
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives: [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO, its newest solid state drives (SSDs). The V-NAND based, M.2 form factor SSDs were built on the company’s category-defining...