Windows 10: Samsung 960EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower

Discus and support Samsung 960EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When bench-marking my 960 EVO with Samsung Magician it's now much slower for random IOPS read and I can't figure out why. I have made sure I have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sineira, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Sineira Win User

Samsung 960EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower

When bench-marking my 960 EVO with Samsung Magician it's now much slower for random IOPS read and I can't figure out why.
    I have made sure I have the latest drivers etc but nothing helps.

Samsung 960EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower [​IMG]

:)

Sineira, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Mark Win User

Samsung EVO 860 1TB SATA low read/write IOPS

I recently purchased a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SATA SSD. I have installed fresh Windows 10 Pro. I have updated each and every driver and BIOS to the latest. Firmware for SSD is also the latest. I have enabled AHCI, TRIM and RAPID mode.

But Samsung Magician reports low Read/Write IOPS. Sequential Read/Write is fine. For sequential Read/Write I am getting the values as advertised. It is connected to SATA3 interface as shown in Image-2.

What can i do to improve Read/Write IOPS?

Image1: Samsung Magician Performance Benchmark

Image2: SSD Health and settings reported by Samsung Magician

3. puma99dk| Win User
    Why does msata ssd better iops then normal sata3 ssd?

i have been looking at Samsung's Evo ssd serie, to be honest the 250gb but i have been looking at iops too, and what i can see in writing on the msata version got better iops then the normal sata3 anyone know how that can be?

Evo 250gb msata iops:

4KB Random Read: 97000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write: 71000 IOPS

Random Read (4KB, QD1): 10,000 IOPS
    Random Write (4KB, QD1): 40,000 IOPS

Evo 250gb sata3 iops:
    4KB Random Read: 97000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write: 66000 IOPS

Random Read (4KB, QD1): 10,000 IOPS
    Random Write (4KB, QD1): 33,000 IOPS

More Specs Compare: http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/...ductcompare?prda=MZ-7TE250LW&prdb=MZ-MTE250BW

puma99dk|, Jul 30, 2020
  4. cswd Win User

How to Enable AHCI for SSD in Windows 10.

I had this issue, but couldn't solve it with the suggested Registry changes, instead this worked and seems much simpler:

Start windows 10

Select Safe Mode Boot in msconfig

Reboot go into BIOS

Change Setting to AHCI

Continue into Windows (Safe Mode)

Let Windows do its magic

Uncheck Safe Mode in msconfig

Reboot as normal

I was struggling to get a Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB running in AHCI mode on an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB Motherboard, it would only run in IDE mode.

Making the above changes improved the performance reported by Samsung Magician from:

IDE : Sequential (MB/s) Read 263 Write 358 Random (IOPS) Read 7859 Write 17012

to:

AHCI: Sequential (MB/s) Read 516 Write 476 Random (IOPS) Read 50,188 Write 24,240

And improved the boot time significantly, so worth the effort.

Thanks,

Thema:

1. Samsung 960EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower - Similar Threads - Samsung 960EVO suddenly

2. My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]: Hi!Yesterday my Ethernet was working perfectly at around 70mbps. Before I went to bed I plugged out my cable and used it on my laptop in bed. Today when I woke up and plugged back in my cable it was barely at 10mbps.I've narrowed it down to be my desktop causing the issue,...
  3. My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]: Hi!Yesterday my Ethernet was working perfectly at around 70mbps. Before I went to bed I plugged out my cable and used it on my laptop in bed. Today when I woke up and plugged back in my cable it was barely at 10mbps.I've narrowed it down to be my desktop causing the issue,...
  4. Laptop suddenly much slower when unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop suddenly much slower when unplugged: In the past few weeks, I've found that my VIAO laptop has become much, much slower, especially when not plugged in. It'll often take full minutes to load a site. It's a lot better though when it's plugged in but immediately slows down again as soon as I unplug it, even if it...
  5. Samsung 960 EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 960 EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower: When bench-marking my 960 EVO with Samsung Magician it's now much slower for random IOPS read and I can't figure out why. I have made sure I have the latest drivers etc but nothing helps. [img] - - - Updated - - - The only change I can remember is that I converted the...
  6. PC is much slower when unplugged

PC is much slower when unplugged: When I have my PC plugged in, it's running great (I checked in task manager, the clock speed hovers around the high end of 3.xx GHz). However, as soon as I unplug it, performance drops (the CPU speed visibly, immediately drops to around 1 GHz). The PC is still usable when...
  7. Computer suddenly slower?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer suddenly slower?: So, my computer has become suddenly slower and it worries me. Basically, I decided to get a new headset, and from that, it suddenly made my computer lag like crazy. It takes forever for google chrome to load, BUT, everything else I have like spotify, settings, etc work...
  8. PC suddenly started restarting much slower for no reason

PC suddenly started restarting much slower for no reason: As the title says, there's really no background to this as I noticed it only a few days ago. When restarting, it now hangs on "Restarting" screen for a few minutes, so booting up is still fast but it takes much longer for the PC to "start" restarting. Windows is installed on...
  9. wrong iop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wrong iop: i asked question about master password. to delete just noticed it had the wrong windows. i have new hp with windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-iop/89439d13-fa6f-4fac-9769-54700ef98177"
  10. wrong iop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wrong iop: i asked question about master password. to delete just noticed it had the wrong windows. i have new hp with windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/wrong-iop/89439d13-fa6f-4fac-9769-54700ef98177"