Windows 10: Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage

Discus and support Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Powered by the company’s fifth-generation V-NAND, the new Universal Flash Storage offers 20x more storage than a 64GB internal memory and 10x the speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage

Source: https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...-flash-storage

:)

Brink, Jan 30, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Samsung Starts Producing First 512-Gigabyte Universal Flash Storage

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass production of the industry's first 512-gigabyte (GB) embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) solution for use in next-generation mobile devices. Utilizing Samsung's latest 64-layer 512-gigabit (Gb) V-NAND chips, the new 512GB eUFS package provides unparalleled storage capacity and outstanding performance for upcoming flagship smartphones and tablets.

"The new Samsung 512GB eUFS provides the best embedded storage solution for next-generation premium smartphones by overcoming potential limitations in system performance that can occur with the use of micro SD cards," said Jaesoo Han, executive vice president of Memory Sales & Marketing at Samsung Electronics. "By assuring an early, stable supply of this advanced embedded storage, Samsung is taking a big step forward in contributing to timely launches of next-generation mobile devices by mobile manufacturers around the world."

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage eRumHbAa9LYltqJt_thm.jpg

Consisting of eight 64-layer 512Gb V-NAND chips and a controller chip, all stacked together, Samsung's new 512GB UFS doubles the density of Samsung's previous 48-layer V-NAND-based 256GB eUFS, in the same amount of space as the 256GB package. The eUFS' increased storage capacity will provide a much more extensive mobile experience. For example, the new high-capacity eUFS enables a flagship smartphone to store approximately 130 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) video clips of a 10-minute duration,* which is about a tenfold increase over a 64GB eUFS which allows storing only about 13 of the same-sized video clips.

To maximize the performance and energy efficiency of the new 512GB eUFS, Samsung has introduced a new set of proprietary technologies. The 64-layer 512Gb V-NAND's advanced circuit design and new power management technology in the 512GB eUFS' controller minimize the inevitable increase in energy consumed, which is particularly noteworthy since the new 512GB eUFS solution contains twice the number of cells compared to a 256GB eUFS. In addition, the 512GB eUFS' controller chip speeds up the mapping process for converting logical block addresses to those of physical blocks.

The Samsung 512GB eUFS also features strong read and write performance. With its sequential read and writes reaching up to 860 megabytes per second (MB/s) and 255MB/s respectively, the 512GB embedded memory enables transferring a 5GB-equivalent full HD video clip to an SSD in about six seconds, over eight times faster than a typical microSD card.

For random operations, the new eUFS can read 42,000 IOPS and write 40,000 IOPS. Based on the eUFS' rapid random writes, which are approximately 400 times faster than the 100 IOPS speed of a conventional microSD card, mobile users can enjoy seamless multimedia experiences such as high-resolution burst shooting, as well as file searching and video downloading in dual-app viewing mode.

On a related note, Samsung intends to steadily increase an aggressive production volume for its 64-layer 512Gb V-NAND chips, in addition to expanding its 256Gb V-NAND production. This should meet the increase in demand for advanced embedded mobile storage, as well as for premium SSDs and removable memory cards with high density and performance.

btarunr, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Chino Win User
    Samsung Begins Mass Production of 256GB eUFS for Automotive Applications

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass production of a 256-gigabyte (GB) embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) solution with advanced features based on automotive specifications from the JEDEC UFS 3.0 standard, for the first time in the industry. Following the memory breakthrough of the automotive industry's first 128GB eUFS in September, 2017, Samsung's 256GB eUFS is now being shipped to automotive manufacturers preparing the market for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), next-generation infotainment systems and new-age dashboards in luxury vehicles.

As thermal management is crucial for automotive memory applications, Samsung's 256GB eUFS extends the temperature range to between -40°C and 105°C for both operational and power-saving modes. Warranties for conventional embedded multimedia card (eMMC) 5.1 solutions generally cover -25°C to 85°C for vehicles in operation and -40°C to 85°C when in idle or power-saving mode.

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage JH8Wfel3BY9w2ScL_thm.jpg

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage PBRev65F3oOA9KBc_thm.jpg

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage xMeqEXNKhkGOp07m_thm.jpg

"With the new temperature threshold for automobile warranties, major automotive manufacturers can now design-in memory that's even well suited for extreme environments and know they will be getting highly reliable performance," said Kyoung Hwan Han, vice president of NAND marketing at Samsung Electronics. "Starting with high-end vehicles, we expect to expand our business portfolio across the entire automotive market, while accelerating growth in the premium memory segment."

Samsung's 256GB eUFS not only can easily endure the new temperature specification, despite the heat-sensitive nature of memory storage, but also through its temperature notification feature, a sensor will notify the host application processor (AP) when the device temperature exceeds 105°C or any pre-set level. The AP would then regulate its clock speed to lower the temperature to an acceptable level.

Sequential reads for the 256GB eUFS can reach 850 megabytes per second (MB/s), which is at the high end of the current JEDEC UFS 2.1 standard, and random read operations come in at 45,000 IOPS. In addition, a data refresh feature speeds up processing and enables greater system reliability by relocating older data to other less-used cells.

The temperature notification, developed by Samsung, and data refresh features are included in UFS specification, version 3.0, which was announced last month by JEDEC, a global semiconductor standards organization.

Samsung plans to bolster its technology partnerships with global automakers and component providers, and continue expanding its eUFS line-up with an aim to lead the premium memory market.

Chino, Jan 30, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Samsung Starts Producing UFS for Automotive Applications

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it is introducing the industry's first embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) solution for use in next-generation automotive applications. Consisting of 128-gigabyte (GB) and 64GB versions, the new eUFS solution has been designed for advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), next-generation dashboards and infotainment systems that provide comprehensive connected features for drivers and passengers worldwide.

"We are taking a major step in accelerating the introduction of next-generation ADAS and automotive infotainment systems by offering the industry's first eUFS solution for the market much earlier than expected," said Jinman Han, senior vice president of Memory Product Planning & Application Engineering at Samsung Electronics. "Samsung is taking the lead in the growth of the memory market for sophisticated automotive applications, while continuing to deliver leading-edge UFS solutions with higher performance, density and reliability."

Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage 8MNFE3QXHfrT3jJD_thm.jpg

Embedded UFS solutions have been used in a variety of mobile applications since early 2015, when Samsung introduced 128GB embedded memory based on the JEDEC UFS 2.0 standard, for the first time in the industry. Since then, the high performance and proven quality of UFS has led to its wide adoption in large numbers of mobile devices from flagship smartphones initially, to also now in mid-market smartphones.

Configured on the most up-to-date UFS standard (JEDEC UFS 2.1), the new Samsung eUFS will provide advanced data transfer speeds and robust data reliability. For example, the new Samsung 128GB eUFS can read data at up to 850 megabytes per second (MB/s), which is approximately 3.4 times faster than the 250MB/s read speed of today's eMMC 5.0 solutions. It also offers about 6.4 times faster random reading than eMMC at 45,000 IOPS. This will contribute to significantly enhanced performance in upcoming automotive infotainment systems for better managing audio content, increasing navigation responsiveness, accessing Internet-enabled traffic and weather reports, improving handling of hands-free voice commands, and speeding up rear-seat social media interplay.

The new eUFS solution also features an efficient and reliable error-handling process, which is essential for next-generation in-vehicle infotainment. Based on the MIPI UniPro* protocol, the eUFS enables detecting and recovering from I/O error on hardware layers, without having to involve the host software or restarting tasks.

In addition, the Samsung eUFS supports advanced data refresh and temperature notification features for superior system reliability. The advanced data refresh operation allows a choice of refresh methods, and provides information on the refresh unit, frequency and progress for the host device's control. This enables optimal data reliability, an essential element of automotive applications.

When it comes to thermal management, the Samsung eUFS equips the temperature sensor inside the controller to enable highly reliable device temperature control. This prevents the eUFS from crossing well-defined upper and lower temperature boundaries, thereby allowing its NAND cells to flawlessly function within a tough automotive temperature environment.

In light of the eUFS' high performance and reliability, Samsung expects rapid adoption in the automotive market. Samsung will continue to satisfy the growing storage needs of leading automotive manufacturers by offering a variety of advanced eUFS lineups, while more thoroughly addressing the ever-increasing demand for leading-edge memory solutions in other market segments, too.

btarunr, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Samsung breaks 1TB threshold for eUFS Smartphone storage - Similar Threads - Samsung breaks 1TB

2. Samsung Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets Android Enterprise Recommended

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets Android Enterprise Recommended: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today announced that it will join Android Enterprise Recommended, a Google-led program aimed at making it easier for enterprise businesses to integrate mobile solutions into their operations. Samsung’s participation in the program...
  3. Trying to access files from a Samsung smartphone with SMB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to access files from a Samsung smartphone with SMB: Hi, I used to access my computer files from the files app on my Samsung device by logging in through SMB. However, since windows 10 got rid of traditional passwords, I can´t log in anymore through the app because it asks for the user password, which now does not exist. I...
  4. Introducing the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 smartphone

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 smartphone: [media] The Galaxy Z Fold2 is Samsung’s third-generation foldable device, pairing a stunning and bold design with refined engineering to push the boundaries of mobile experiences. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd today unveiled the next generation of its...
  5. Samsung Begins Production of Fastest Storage for Flagship Smartphones

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Begins Production of Fastest Storage for Flagship Smartphones: The new 512GB eUFS 3.1 stores 8K videos and large-size image files without buffering [img] Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first 512-gigabyte (GB) eUFS...
  6. Samsung Doubling Smartphone Storage Speed with 512GB eUFS 3.0 V-NAND

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Doubling Smartphone Storage Speed with 512GB eUFS 3.0 V-NAND: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first 512-gigabyte (GB) embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) 3.0 for next-generation mobile devices. In line with the latest eUFS...
  7. Samsung 860 ssd 1tb firmware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 860 ssd 1tb firmware: Hey does anyone know where to download a firmware for Samsung 860 Evo Series Model : MZ-76E1T0B/AM i can't find it on samsung website 124317
  8. Samsung M3 Portable 1TB

Samsung M3 Portable 1TB: Hi all, I have found my hard drive utterly useless and I can't open it to view files. I have tried everything that previous answers have suggested and nothing has worked. I have managed to make a shortcut on my desktop but I am blocked from dragging files into it and...
  9. Storage Spaces Break Mirror

Storage Spaces Break Mirror: Hello, I have two mirrored disks as D:\, and lately windows has been telling me D:\ is full though it's not. I suspect this is because there are some errors on one of the disks in the pool that is reporting imminent failure. As it stands, very frequently I can't save...
  10. Storage pool 4 * 1TB

Storage pool 4 * 1TB: I have a spare computer running windows 10 pro, running as a "server". I have added 4 1 tb harddrives and pooled them to have one storage space of +/- 4tb. my question is, If one of my drives fail will the whole pool be gone? i ask because i had created the pool and then the...