Windows 10: Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Discus and support Samsung SSD 850 EVO in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an 840 EVO in one desktop and an 850 in the desktop I'm posting with now. Both have been flawless - That's a heck of a good price. I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gary, Oct 19, 2015.

1. otisdog Win User

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

I have an 840 EVO in one desktop and an 850 in the desktop I'm posting with now. Both have been flawless - That's a heck of a good price.
    I have an Intel 730 series 240 gig in my wife's laptop and it has been a solid performer also.
    Jim

otisdog, Oct 19, 2015
  2. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

These Samsung EVO drives are very popular in Europe as well.

Personally I opted for a pair of Mushkin Chronos G2 240Gig drives which are cheaper over here and should perform better (in theory (read add) at least).
    Anyone else use these ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Gary Win User
    I was and also the ones that plug into a PCI-E slot.

4. OldMike65 Win User

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

I looked up the prices for an Intel SSD 480gb model 730. Its going for 278.00 right now Gary. I also read where Intel's prices are coming down to complete with Samsung. *Smile Take a look on Amazon, for latest prices. The Intel 240gb is 148.00 now. These two are the 730 series. Mine are older the 520 series. Prices are dropping which is always good. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 19, 2015
  5. edpring Win User
    I have a laptop with the 850 Pro installed. Works great and very high performance...especially switching on RAPID in the software. This laptop was Win8.1 and I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Drive still works great, but RAPID is not implemented (yet!) on Win 10. Switching on RAPID greatly steps up performance on the Samsung SSD drives. I am very disappointed that this feature is not yet available on Win 10. No where in Samsung's website do they discuss when RAPID will be available on 10. It is acknowledged that it does not now work on the o/s.

Do not hesitate to purchase a SSD and I am partial to Samsung, but be aware to this shortcoming regarding Win 10. Clearly Samsung will fix this issue since the Win world is quickly moving toward Win 10 and the computer world is quickly moving toward SSD's. I am just impatient to get my RAPID switch and the big bump in performance back.

edpring, Oct 19, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Same goes for the Plextor caching software and other manufacturers that used OEM versions of Condusiv's Caching tech.
    No idea about what Samsung's plans are but from speaking to the guys at Plextor I understand that there's no longer any benefit to be had from it when running Windows 10.
    IOW, it looks as if it's going to be abandoned altogether.

Cheers, *Wink

EDIT: It seems Plextor's caching software is now Win 10 ready.

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    The Intel 240gB that you mentioned has less space and almost twice the price. I am happy with what I got, my wife would shoot me if I spent that kind of money.. She does not know yet about The Samsung yet.*Smile
    I never have used Amazon. I buy all of my stuff from NewEgg. Question? Someone said that the 850 EVO runs a tad hot. I saw that in the specs. Do I need to put a fan on it as I have an extra one??

8. OldMike65 Win User

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Nope Gary it will be fine, but on my computer just before I hit the sack, I turn both my computers off, and let them rest too. *Smile
    I see no reason to leave them on 24/7 but lots of folks do.

Oh yeah on those Intels, yup they are most likely the most expensive ones to buy, but I also think their one of the few with a 5 year warranty too. Samsung is 3 years. and Samsung support can be not user friendly sometimes. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 19, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I just put mine to sleep. Thanks Mike!

10. edpring Win User
    I put a Samsung 850Pro in a laptop and the system now runs a good bit cooler than it did when the HDD was installed.

edpring, Oct 19, 2015
  11. snoopy51 Win User
    I got two Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB for $170 each about two months ago. One run on a Dell XPS 8700 and the second on a Dell XPS 420. Works great. This is the best investment you can make to improve your performance! SSD rocks!

snoopy51, Oct 20, 2015
  12. aztec506 Win User
    I bought a Mushkin about 4-5 years ago and used it for the OS on what then was my newest build based around a X58 motherboard. There were 3rd party SATA 6gbs (Marvell) that caused problems for a lot of people, but I used it on the native SATA ports (3gbs) Anyway, I had no problems using the Mushkin and it was probably one of the 1st ones they offered. Somewhere along the way I replaced it with two Samsung 830 Pros and started yanking the old WD Velos out. The stuff I'm running in my 2 laptops make my desktop look like an old man and it's past time ;for me to rebuild it but I don't use it as much as I used to due to health problems. There will be at least one m.2 PCIe drive in my new one whenever that market matures a bit and I go ahead and replace all of my 4-6 year old technology. The 850EVO I mentioned ended up going in my Yoga2Pro, no problems - I do have to send the laptop in for a fan issue ;they won't let me fix myself so I have to jerk all of the things I changed on it and put the original crap back in. PITA.

Anyway, I used that Mushkin for several years and now it's in my wife's laptop that I gave her so it's probably close to 5 years old and still going. I've used their memory more than once and never had a problem with any of that. I did have a problem with a SSD enclosure that they put their brand on. I returned it and did not reorder - I had put the 850EVO mSATA in it to play around with it, it was fast as heck for a few minutes, would get hot and then slow wayyyy down.

aztec506, Oct 20, 2015
  13. swarfega Win User

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Soon I hope to replace all my hard drives with various sizes of the 850 Evo. So far I have the 850 Evo 240gb (OS) and 850 Evo 2tb (games).

swarfega, Oct 20, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    I installed it and it works great. My WEI went from 5.9 to 7.1 and it is fast. I tried to change it to ACHI but it would not Boot. I think maybe because my PC is 5 years old. Anyway it works fantastic. Boot time is like 20 seconds. Thanks for all of you guys help on this.*Thumbs

15. Word Man Win User
    Great news, Gary! Enjoy!

Word Man, Oct 21, 2015
Thema:

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

1. Samsung SSD 850 EVO - Similar Threads - Samsung SSD 850

2. RAPID Mode on Samsung SSD 850 EVO problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAPID Mode on Samsung SSD 850 EVO problem: Hi! I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 256GB and I recently started noticing very slow write speeds. I installed the latest version of Samsung Magician 7.2.1 and ran a Performance Benchmark on the drive it was taking over 2 hours, so I canceled the test. After this, I enabled "Full...
  3. Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?

Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?: I'm having lots of BSODs and the forum member who is assisting me (Lots of IRQ_Less... and KERNEL_SECURITY... BSODs on 2 month old build - Windows 10 Forums) picked up lots of retry messages from the Beta Collector that I uploaded for my Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Are all these...
  4. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  5. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I...
  6. System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Following a successful install of Creator's Update I transferred all files-including OS-to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500gb) using Samsung Magician software supplied with the SSD. File transfer went was perfect. Old HDD was removed and replaced with Samsung SSD. Reboot was...
  7. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  8. Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?

Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?: Hello. My SSD: Ssd Samsung Evo 850 250 GB, motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 UEFI, So i want to write about my issues with Windows 10 just before format, when i was on MBR partition. I want to be sure that my SSD is fine or not. So listen. Windows 10 get somehow...
  9. SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode: Hi guys, i'm using win 10 pro x64 on a samsung evo 850 120gb ssd. My samsung magician just can't recognize the OS, anyone knows how to fix? Thank you and sorry for my bad grammar! *Tongue [img] 24028
  10. Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB: I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB and while I had been using it on my laptop with Windows 7 everything had been running ok even the Rapid mode, but when I updated to Windows 10, I am getting this error : Rapid mode is in inactive state due to system internal errors. Please...