Windows 10: Samsung SSD not always initialized

Discus and support Samsung SSD not always initialized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Samsung 860 2.5" EVO 1TB SSD in the 2.5" slot replacing the HDD that came with it - the problem is, the machine randomly sees it. The machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dictum, May 9, 2020.

1. dictum Win User

Samsung SSD not always initialized

I have a Samsung 860 2.5" EVO 1TB SSD in the 2.5" slot replacing the HDD that came with it - the problem is, the machine randomly sees it. The machine is GT80 Titan SLI running latest-greatest Win10 home.

It apparently has no such issues with an HDD so there is nothing mechanically wrong with the notebook, and since other machines see the SSD, there is nothing wrong mechanically with the (Solid State Disk). When it's seen, it works perfectly, problem is, about 30-40% of the time, upon a boot, it's invisible.

I will boot and there 2.5" 860 EVO just doesn't show up in the Disk Management tool or anywhere else.

Bounce it again and there it is. It' about a 50/50 proposition at times.

when it shows up, it's good for as long as I am but a new reboot may have it disappear.

Any idea if this a Windows glitch, a driver issue, or what, and why is it so random?

:)

dictum, May 9, 2020
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, May 9, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 9, 2020
  4. Tom Allen Win User

Samsung SSD and Windows 10

I have ordered a Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD, after searching online I have read a lot of trouble with Windows 10. I would like help with a trouble free install process. The way I have it planned is to:

1. Initialize & Format
    2. Use easeus to clone the drive (I have an enclosure sata to usb cable will this suffice?)
    3. Swap drives (My current drive is a 256gb Adata SSD).

The Samsung Software can be installed when it is compatible with Windows 10. Any guidance and/or direction with this is greatly appreciated.

Tom Allen, May 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Samsung SSD not always initialized - Similar Threads - Samsung SSD always

2. Initialize a new SSD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Initialize a new SSD card: Hi. Does the windows installer initialize and format a new unused SSD card? I will be installing a 2TB SSD in my computer and am trying to avoid cloning etc. The 2TB SSD would be the only drive in my computer when it's installed. I am asking because I have come across...
  3. Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?: I purchased a new Samsung SSD 980 from a world class manufacturer but Windows 11 will not even initialize it to let me format it. I find out after purchaseing and trying to get the product to work that many people with Windows 11 report the sme problem....
  4. Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?: I purchased a new Samsung SSD 980 from a world class manufacturer but Windows 11 will not even initialize it to let me format it. I find out after purchaseing and trying to get the product to work that many people with Windows 11 report the sme problem....
  5. Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?: I purchased a new computer to try to solve this problem. The new Surface 3 came with the same issue. Now I have two computers where the dictation feature doesn't work. This must be a software issue. Please advise....
  6. SSD not initialized and unable to initialize

SSD not initialized and unable to initialize: I have 3 disks on my desktop : 1 M.2 disk boot disk , 1 SSD drive and 1 HDD drive . Everything was working well until yesterday i was unable to access some files on the SSD drive . After restarting the computer the SSD drive doesn't appeared anymore . In disk management...
  7. Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?: In the process of installing SSD for friend. After I connected the SSD via USB adapter, I started Macrium Reflect . Reflect shows the SSD as Disc 2 and it shows it to be empty. It did not ask me to initialize the SSD . Do I need to initialize it to MBR (which is what the...
  8. samsung 860 ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    samsung 860 ssd: I plan on getting a Samsung 860 evo 250 gbs on Thursday. My current stats are i5 3.3 ghz 500gb hdd only 85 used in 6 years, windows 10 upgrade from 7. My question is what improvement does this normally make. I think the programs will start faster but how fast. Will page...
  9. samsung 860 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    samsung 860 ssd: I plan on getting a Samsung 860 evo 250 gbs on Thursday. My current stats are i5 3.3 ghz 500gb hdd only 85 used in 6 years, windows 10 upgrade from 7. My question is what improvement does this normally make. I think the programs will start faster but how fast. Will page...
  10. Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series

Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series: [img] I get above error; I've updated the intel rapid storage driver and asmedia sata controller driver. My motherboard is an asus z97 deluxe. Help is appreciated; thx ! 59239

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 driver support samsung ssd

2. samsung ssd win 10 driver