Windows 10: Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

Discus and support Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by poolmon, Jul 5, 2018.

1. poolmon Win User

Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate at 120mbs only operate at 13mbs.

I noticed this as I tried cloning my internal Samsung SSD to an identical external Samsung SSD drive plugged in via that Startech adapter cable. Both drives and the cable worked flawlessly in WIN 7 but not in WIN 10. I called Startech and they indicated it was a known WIN 10 issue on some machines, but had no solutions. Seems like it may be a driver problem and when I access that specific drive/driver it shows a working Windows driver from 2006 with no option to update.

As I said, it operated in WIN 7 properly but not WIN 10. A search showed others with the same issue but no real solution. It takes me over an hour to clone my C drive with WIN 10 whereas it normally takes only 10 minutes with WIN 7.

This desktop computer is a newly built i7-8700k on a MSI Z370 motherboard with a fresh copy of WIN 10 that I purchased. This is my 5th computer build with no issues on WIN XP or WIN 7 previous builds. Had I not decided to do an immediate clone (using Samsung Data Migration as always) I would not have noticed this issue until I tried a large data transfer way down the road. Any thoughts out there?

:)

poolmon, Jul 5, 2018
  2. poolmon Win User

My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate at 120mbs only operate at 13mbs.

I noticed this as I tried cloning my internal Samsung SSD to an identical external Samsung SSD drive plugged in via that Startech adapter cable. Both drives and the cable worked flawlessly in WIN 7 but not in WIN 10. I called Startech and they indicated it was a known WIN 10 issue on some machines, but had no solutions. Seems like it may be a driver problem and when I access that specific drive/driver it shows a working Windows driver from 2006 with no option to update.

As I said, it operated in WIN 7 properly but not WIN 10. A search showed others with the same issue but no real solution. It takes me over an hour to clone my C drive with WIN 10 whereas it normally takes only 10 minutes with WIN 7.

This desktop computer is a newly built i7-8700k on a MSI Z370 motherboard with a fresh copy of WIN 10 that I purchased. This is my 5th computer build with no issues on WIN XP or WIN 7 previous builds. Had I not decided to do an immediate clone (using Samsung Data Migration as always) I would not have noticed this issue until I tried a large data transfer way down the road. Any thoughts out there?

poolmon, Oct 25, 2018
  3. poolmon Win User

I'm not sure exactly what is inside the cable ends that allow it to convert from sata to USB3 but works well with WIN7 just not WIN10. I asked StarTech if the cable could use any other driver than the WIN driver and they said none were available only the WIN supplied one. They did spend some time looking up the issue and for any additional info. Unfortunately, in the end all they could offer was for me to try it on another WIN10 machine which I do not have.

poolmon, Oct 25, 2018
  4. clam1952 Win User

Had that issue with a Startech Pcie add on Sata Card, was showing as SCSI, in device manager with an ancient driver, so I tried updating the driver and Windows found the Marvel driver that it should have been using, problem solved. I'm guessing the adapter has a sata controller chip in it.

I'm pretty sure Startech use Marvel and ASMedia Sata chipsets, may help?

clam1952, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3 - Similar Threads - Samsung SSD Sata

2. VGA to USB3 adapter not working properly- no video output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VGA to USB3 adapter not working properly- no video output: using an ibuypower pre-built gaming PC with this processor: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz. Can give additional specs if you tell me what you need to know and how I can find it. I don't know the exact make and model of the monitor aside from it being an Acer, but...
  3. VGA to USB3 adapter not working properly- no video output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VGA to USB3 adapter not working properly- no video output: using an ibuypower pre-built gaming PC with this processor: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz. Can give additional specs if you tell me what you need to know and how I can find it. I don't know the exact make and model of the monitor aside from it being an Acer, but...
  4. USB3 cables - some are great, some suck, why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB3 cables - some are great, some suck, why?: Dell laptop with USB-C ports. As far as I know, the 3.1 drivers are on and the box is happy. Device is a simple external, usb-powered carrier with a 256GB SSD in it. ALSO a USB3 type-C port. Plug in cable A (1-meter, C to C) and start copying data (standard drag and drop in...
  5. Strange behaviour with Ethernet cable runnng on usb3 adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange behaviour with Ethernet cable runnng on usb3 adapter: hi there, to make a long story short, my touchpad with the pointer goes bezerk when i have the usb3 hub connected and i plug the internet via an ethernet cable. the mouse (external) works fine - everything works fine when it's on wireless though. If i plug the cable to the...
  6. USB2 and USB3

USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  7. USB2 and USB3

USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  8. USB3 device not recognized

USB3 device not recognized: ‎HP elitebook 8540w Windows 10 (64-bit) I almost have a complete system under W10 - no thanks to HP............. When I plug a USB3 flash drive into either USB3 port the message is Windows does not recognize it. If I plug the same drive into another computer USB3...
  9. USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable

USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable: Hi there WD passport (small self powered 2 TB USB3 drive) has appalling performance compared with an OLD laptop HDD that I connect via a USB2==>SATA cable to USB2 port. Same file (2GB mp4 video) copied to a directory on the SSD. External laptop HDD connected via...
  10. BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub

BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub: When I open the BIOS the pen drives plugged into the USB3 hub are not listed in the "Boot priority settings", however, if a pen drive is plugged directly into the PC USB3 or USB2 port it appears in the "Boot priority settings". Once booted into Windows 10 all USB2 and USB3...