Windows 10: Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source)

Discus and support Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; During the past year, Sandboxie has gone from being a paid program, to freeware, and now Open source. This thread is dedicated to Tom Brown’s Sandboxie... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bo elam, Apr 26, 2020.

1. bo elam Win User

Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source)

During the past year, Sandboxie has gone from being a paid program, to freeware, and now Open source. This thread is dedicated to Tom Brown’s Sandboxie Open source project.

I think what's special about this project is the sense of continuity that comes along with Tom’s involvement. It has that feeling. He knows and uses Sandboxie, loves Sandboxie, worked on Sandboxie for years, and plans to continue it’s legacy. He is a solid link between the old Sandboxie and the new Sandboxie, a link we can trust. With him, the transition from before to now (open source) feels seamless, thats how I feel, it feels natural. We can trust him not just because of his previous involvement in developing Sandboxie but also because Sophos asked Tom to manage the sandboxie open source code and releases on github. They told him they wanted someone who has the best interest of sandboxie in mind to manage the source code and future releases. I applaud Sophos for this. He told them that it would be hard to imagine using his computer without Sandboxie and wouldn't know what to do for replacement (he sounds like us, the users). And that he would do what he can to keep it alive for as long as he can.

He is going to make real builds with real certificates. His builds are going to comply with Microsoft driver signing requirements. The cert will be associated to “Sandboxie Technologies”, a new company founded by Tom for this purpose.

In my view, Tom is the perfect fit for carrying on Sandboxie's legacy. And guess what? he feels that way. Personally, I want Sandboxie to remain what it is, and that’s what Tom has in mind. When Curt told me about Tom’s plans, it sounded so good that in that instant, Sandboxie’s future started to look clear and seeing ahead, I liked what I saw. I saw trust and continuity next to Sandboxie. I think we got a jewel here, because what he brings and represent is what I think most of us old Sandboxie users want for SBIE.

Link to last Sandboxie build developed by Curt for Sophos. This is the version I recommend to have at this point in time.

Announcing Sandboxie 5.33.6 release and open source update - Sandboxie Forum - Sandboxie - Sophos Community

Tom's Sandboxie page at Github.

GitHub - sandboxie/sandboxie: The Sandboxie application

Sandboxie Help topics, at sandboxie.com. Sophos said they will close the website in the Fall of 2020. Hopefully they change their mind (Tom is working on this), at least partially, so this links won't be taken down as they are very useful.

Sandboxie - Help Topics

Here is the link to the old Sandboxie forum. Read only.

Sandboxie Support - Index page

The information is indexed in Search forums. At Google, we can use the following to search the old forum:

site:sandboxie.com/old-forums "search term here"

Good news. I know Tom is researching various forum options to host a new sandboxie forum. It's going to take a while before it happens, but we will have a new Sandboxie forum in the future. Also, Tom is finishing setting things up and will be done by early May. After that, we ll start getting new releases.

Bo

:)

bo elam, Apr 26, 2020
  2. bo elam Win User

Sandboxie 5.33.6, an step toward open source

Sandboxie 5.33.6 was released yesterday. This version is not an official release, or even a beta, but we are being asked to test it and see if we are able to do with SBIE what we are used to doing with SBIE. This version is an step toward open source. They are getting ready the code that will be released. Some code was eliminated in this version. Anyway, I think it behooves Sandboxie users to install this version to see how it feels, and how it works in your computer. I already did, and all is working great. Just about everything I do in the computer, I do it sandboxed. The only time I am not using SBIE is when the computer is idle or I am doing updates. And I cant find nothing wrong with it, and you probably wont either. FWIW, the SBIE code till the end (open source) is being handled by Curt.

You can get the installers from here.

Announcing Sandboxie 5.33.6 release and open source update - Sandboxie Forum - Sandboxie - Sophos Community

Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source) [​IMG]

Bo

bo elam, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Keyscrambler and Sandboxie

Many users including me have found that the new version of Keyscrambler Personal - Free edition 3.1.0.0 for IE, Firefox and now Chrome does not work when the browsers are opened with Sandboxie. This easy fix is how to cure the problem.

Download Keyscrambler Personal - Free to your Desktop from Download KeyScrambler or some other reputable site. Do not download with a Sandboxied browser.

Go through the wizard and select your preferences. I suggest you choose the tray icon and for the program to start with Windows opening. You will have to reboot when finished.

KS will then work perfectly with IE, Firefox and Chrome unsandboxied, but will not work with the browsers Sandboxied.

Now follow this :-

Open Sandboxie Control. Then -
    Sandbox>Defaultbox>Sandbox Settings>Resourse Access-expand>IPC Access-expand>Direct Access>ADD (2 items) as under.

In panel Add Resource Name - add both these in turn, copy/paste using CNTRL+C for copy and CNTRL+V for paste :-

Add>\RPC Control\KSControlEp.Default*>OK - then :-
    Add>BaseNamedObjects*\KSSettingsEvent*>OK - then :-
    Click OK at bottom of Control Panel.

Open browsers with Sandboxie. The KS icon should show in the tray.
    Orange = not active but ON, Green = active, Black animated = traffic, Red = OFF - RT click, select KS ON.

Browsers IE, Firefox and Chrome opened with Sandboxie will now have KS working perfectly.
    This procedure should work with the paid versions of KS.

All done.

Bald Eagle, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Terry. O Win User

Sandboxie and Microsoft

To all users or potential users of Sandboxie -

The current version does not allow a login to any Microsoft account.

Attempt to do so will freeze the screen and need hitting the "X" button.

The fixing of this problem seems very unlikely as Sandboxie is now going open source.

Terry. O, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source) - Similar Threads - Sandboxie Technologies SBIE

2. WinAppDriver open source

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinAppDriver open source: For test automation of Windows applications, there is only one option as far as I know: WinAppDriver. This component is however severely lacking support from Microsoft. Would it be possible to open source WinAppDriver? That would immediately revive it and probably solve many...
  3. Kaizala Open source

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kaizala Open source: Is Kaizala open source and why not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kaizala-open-source/a5517f8e-2d13-4745-a5ed-a6e21dc56475
  4. Why can't sandboxie open these files

Why can't sandboxie open these files: Not sure what folder to put this in - sorry. windows 10 pro 64-bit V. 1909 Build 18363.900 Why when scanning for bad programs can't sandboxie access these files?? I have dozens more which sandboxie can't access. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb -...
  5. Why can't sandboxie open these files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why can't sandboxie open these files: Not sure what folder to put this in - sorry. windows 10 pro 64-bit V. 1909 Build 18363.900 Why when scanning for bad programs can't sandboxie access these files?? I have dozens more which sandboxie can't access. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb -...
  6. Sandboxie

Sandboxie: Why is Sandboxie working so bad on Windows 10 pro 64 bit?? If you sandbox a site then try to do another site it takes forever for the 2nd site to appear. Usually I just delete the 1st site and create another for the 2nd sight. What a pain!!! 156676
  7. Sandboxie 5.33.6, an step toward open source

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie 5.33.6, an step toward open source: Sandboxie 5.33.6 was released yesterday. This version is not an official release, or even a beta, but we are being asked to test it and see if we are able to do with SBIE what we are used to doing with SBIE. This version is an step toward open source. They are getting ready...
  8. Sandboxie and Microsoft

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sandboxie and Microsoft: To all users or potential users of Sandboxie - The current version does not allow a login to any Microsoft account. Attempt to do so will freeze the screen and need hitting the "X" button. The fixing of this problem seems very unlikely as Sandboxie is now going open...
  9. Sandboxie

Sandboxie: I am running sandboxie in Windows 7 pro 64-bit. There is no sandboxie that I can find for Windows 10 64-bit. Have no idea what to replace it with. Some sites for supposedly sandboxie type programs come with ready made viruses.*Sad 2889
  10. Microsoft to open source core Xamarin technologies in Visual Studio

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to open source core Xamarin technologies in Visual Studio: Microsoft is open sourcing the Xamarin software development kit, and is making Xamarin Studio for OSX available for no additional cost for Visual Studio Enterprise users. Microsoft is planning to open source the Xamarin software development kit, runtime, libraries and...