Windows 10: SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Discus and support SATA HDD recognised as SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RPB57, Mar 15, 2019.

1. RPB57 Win User

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs, however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

RPB57, Mar 15, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Vjblr Win User

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Hello,

I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot
    option and also UEFI option and non worked. Please note I didn't create rescue media before cloning, but have the old HDD with all the files intact. Can anyone pls help me resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17" 5720

BIOS Version: A19 Dell

Vjblr, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

1. SATA HDD recognised as SSD - Similar Threads - SATA HDD recognised

2. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  3. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  4. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. External m2 sata ssd not being recognised.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External m2 sata ssd not being recognised.: Hey guys, I recently swapped my ssd with Samsung 970 evo plus and took out the old one and after a while I purchased a external SSD connector and after installing it in the external adapter and after plugging to my laptop it is not being recognizednot being shown in windows...
  6. Internal SATA SSD isn't recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal SATA SSD isn't recognised: Hello, I wanted to upgrade my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but kept getting an error. In the process of trying to upgrade, I somehow managed to get my PC to stop recognising one of the secondary hard drives, internally connected to the PC. The only thins that I...
  7. HDD SATA from old XP computer not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD SATA from old XP computer not recognised: Hi All Need some help if you can on a HDD problem. Trying to read an old SATA HDD WD 250G WD2500 from one of my dead computers previously set up under Win XP. 1. Connected drive to a SATA-USB Hub 2. conneected SATA-USB Hub to Win10 machine and have the same problem...
  8. SSD only recognised as HDD.

SSD only recognised as HDD.: Hello, I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a computer refresh and restart I ran the defrag program to optimise the drives and noted it recognised them as standard HDDs and was...
  9. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  10. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable: Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x" Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second...