Windows 10: Sata ports question

Discus and support Sata ports question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pantz, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Pantz Win User

Sata ports question

Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from what i understand my MB uses sata ports 5&6, i currently have 2 devices connected to those ports. would moving those two to different sata ports have any affect on my OS or devices ?

Thanks in advance

:)

Pantz, Mar 20, 2019
  2. Matt18 Win User

SATA RAID port

Probably a stupid question but I can't find the answer. Does it matter if I have a hard drive plugged into the SATA port that is meant for RAID? I don't see why it would but I just want to make sure. I have almost all my regular SATA ports full.

Matt18, Mar 20, 2019
  3. bobkn Win User
    SATA port are not working??

See p. 2-33 in the downloadable manual.

If the M.2 port is set to SATA mode, the SATA Express ports can only be used with PCI-E devices. That would be SATA ports 1 and 2.

I see no reason why the other 4 SATA ports would be affected.

I'm a little confused by your post. I presume that "my new SSD" can't be the 850 EVO. That would only fit the M.2 socket. If you mistakenly called it an M.2 SSD, and it's really a 2.5" SATA drive, set the M.2 socket to PCI-E, and you should be able to use all 6 SATA ports.

bobkn, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Potsy Win User

Sata ports question

SATA ports not working after windows 10 update

Hello folks,

I cloned my C drive and updated to windows 10 a week ago. Yesterday SATA ports 2 and 3 stopped working (on MOBO gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP). I think it is a windows 10 problem because I have:
    • swapped my drives between SATA ports. All drives do not work in ports 2 and 3 and they all work in the other ports. So that eliminates the possibility of disk or cable problems.
    • checked that all ports are enabled in BIOS, and switched ports 2 and 3 off and on again to make sure.
    • swapped back to my old C drive, which is still on windows 7. All ports work fine with win7. I think that eliminates the possibility of a MOBO fault and since everything works with win7 I'm guessing it must be a win10 problem...
    It is strange because everything was fine for a week, problem started yesterday with no obvious cause. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks heaps...

Potsy, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Sata ports question

1. Sata ports question - Similar Threads - Sata ports question

2. Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power: This is all going to be theory as all parts have been returned. I was tasked to repair a Dell Inspiron 15 5568 laptop with a dead short on motherboard. A replacement motherboard was sourced on eBay, Only one available. Upon fitting it had the same characteristics as the...
  3. E - SATA Port

E - SATA Port: On the front of my pc is a port marked E-SATA, what is this for? 158757
  4. Question about adding SATA ports.

Question about adding SATA ports.: I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive....
  5. Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?

Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?: Hi, Ive just taken a look at my hdds in disk management, and everything seems mixed up. Im pretty sure c:\ (windows) is on sata 0, but here its disk 2? is it important that its disk 0? am i doing something wrong? also, i just plugged an external hdd in, and it became d:\...
  6. SATA port are not working??

SATA port are not working??: Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like the CMOS got "confused" and the reset allowed it to detect what was actually present. Good job! --Ed--
  7. How to test a SATA port

How to test a SATA port: Hey Guys, Boy I sure hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one. BUT...a problem a raised when I disconnected all drives in the last thread "System Image Problem" After all was fixed on recovering the Image, I plugged in all SATA ports and I found that...
  8. HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.: At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'. The Crucial website says that the original storage fitted has 'Serial ATA support' and suggests a standard SATA SSD as a...
  9. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...
  10. SATA port not working

SATA port not working: Hi all, I hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one, but you never know. In my last thread, that dealt with recovering data on a bad windows 10 disk image, towards the end of it I mentioned that Windows Explorer lost recognition to one of my DVD's. I...