Windows 10: Save As: determining path

Discus and support Save As: determining path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm one month into Windows 10, and right now the thing that worries me most is the withdrawal of certainty in the placing of files. All of my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dingxiaohan, May 2, 2020.

1. Save As: determining path

I'm one month into Windows 10, and right now the thing that worries me most is the withdrawal of certainty in the placing of files. All of my files have duplicates in a permanently attached backup drive, and the worst thing that can happen is that I accidentally save a file in the wrong place.

There are two critical issues: which copy have I currently got open, and which location am I about to save in. I was previously using Windows 7, and if I wanted to check which copy of a file I had open, I would click on Save As and check the path in the navigation pane on the left. Windows 10 doesn't seem to show the path. So how can I tell whether I'm working on the primary copy or the backup?

Then comes the moment when I actually do want to Save As, renaming the file but placing it in the primary location. Windows 7 opened a window showing the file in the location from which it came, and all I need to do to update is to rename the file. Instead, Windows 10 offers me what, knowing better than me, it thinks are a few locations where I might want to save it.

My first problem is that this requires me to read, and to think. My eyesight isn't all that good, and at the end of a long day I'm highly prone to accident. The location at the top of the Windows list will be identified as 'Today.' It doesn't indicate the path. There is no indication that it's the location from which the file came. Question: Can I assume with absolute certainty that the folder at the top of the list will be the one from which the file came?

Windows does offer me an alternative, named Browse. This will open a Save As window that at first sight resembles the one familiar from Windows 7. The difference is that, once again, the path is not indicated. I'm driving blind. My next question: Can I assume, with absolute certainty, that Windows is offering me the location from which the file came. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the lack of information, coupled with my own fallibility, worries me.

My final question: is there something I can do with settings that would force Windows to disclose to me a which copy of a file I have open and b where I am about to Save As. Can I make Windows less secretive about the path?

:)

dingxiaohan, May 2, 2020

2. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, May 2, 2020
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, May 2, 2020
  4. Save As: determining path

Edge doesn't save tabs nor imported folders

Hi,

There are several reasons that may cause the bookmarks not to save on Microsoft Edge, one is if the folder path is not configured correctly. To determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps to resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• When did the error start?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Save As: determining path

1. Save As: determining path - Similar Threads - Save determining path

2. Onedrive uninstalled but windows still uses onedrive path to save.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive uninstalled but windows still uses onedrive path to save.: I have uninstalled onedrive completely. However my system still uses C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents, and not C:\users\xxxxx\Pictures, etc. Nothing I do will stop this. I saw a method to change this path on the forum but this involved clicking on the onedrive icon which I...
  3. Onedrive uninstalled but windows still uses onedrive path to save.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive uninstalled but windows still uses onedrive path to save.: I have uninstalled onedrive completely. However my system still uses C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents, and not C:\users\xxxxx\Pictures, etc. Nothing I do will stop this. I saw a method to change this path on the forum but this involved clicking on the onedrive icon which I...
  4. Unclear: Seems to save to two different paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unclear: Seems to save to two different paths: I guess I am on a campaign to get more clarity. I have been posting questions related to the lack of clarity.So here is another. Why can't saving be simple and clear? Is it that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing?When I save a file, sometimes it gives the name...
  5. Unclear: Seems to save to two different paths

Unclear: Seems to save to two different paths: I guess I am on a campaign to get more clarity. I have been posting questions related to the lack of clarity.So here is another. Why can't saving be simple and clear? Is it that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing?When I save a file, sometimes it gives the name...
  6. Unclear: Seems to save to two different paths

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. BSOD and Determining Cause

BSOD and Determining Cause: Hello,I had a BSOD today. Log determined it was my m2 ssd on which the system is installed. If I attach it the log would you be able to tell me what went wrong Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 20/11/2021 16:35:19 Event ID: 162 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords:...
  8. Mapping and saving a path to network drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping and saving a path to network drives: Windows ver. 1909 I use a program called MyFolders. It creates a Right click menu option in File Explorer that then allows you to map a path to and save that mapped path to any external drive or other computer on your network. It appears this program has some fatal flaws...
  9. How to set a file path to Save based on Date?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set a file path to Save based on Date?: So, to be more specific I am trying to setup the Storage Path in Agent DVR to save to Folders that are name based on the date just like I do with the Filename. For example, the File Names are; {id}_{0:yyyy}-{0:MM}-{0:dd}_{0:HH}-{0:mm}.MP4 I am trying to get the File Path...
  10. Is there a way to determine the exact size and save/modified date on files in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to determine the exact size and save/modified date on files in OneDrive?: Not that I don't trust MS or OneDrive, but is there a way to determine the EXACT size of a file saved on my OneDrive, as well as the Save or Modify date of the file on OneDrive - just to match it up with the files stored on my PC - so that I can be certain that the...