Windows 10: Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...

Discus and support Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As far as I can see, I'm having this same issue as the closed thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Stitlown, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Stitlown Win User

Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...

As far as I can see, I'm having this same issue as the closed thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-and-save-as-dialog-boxes-freezing-in-apps-on/55d78117-9554-4584-a598-ceebbcc760c2 The only things I can add is that, say the app is notepad, if I delete all .txt files in the directory, all is good again, but for the first new save as only. When the dialog locks, the window showing the contents of the target directory shows only "working on it". With a different app, I could unlock the freeze the app has to restart by deleting the most recent saved as file. I have

:)

Stitlown, Jun 10, 2023
  2. Bree Win User

Save-As dialogue box freezes

When you open a 'Save as..' window from any app you are actually calling Explorer.exe with some custom parameters, the same executable that when run without any parameters gives you File Explorer. A freeze suggests that a folder or device in the view it opens to is not immediately accessible and takes a while to confirm that it's there.

Do you have any mapped network drives, for example? Or an external drive that may need to spin up before it can be seen? Exactly what causes your delay depends on how your system is configured. Does File Explorer freeze in a similar way? If so, find the folder/device that causes the delay there and it should fix it for 'Save as..' too.

3. RenardDK Win User
    Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.

I continue to find myself unable to save files, as the Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for a small selection of software.

I do not know the exact time and cause of the error, but the only thing I could suggest, is that this resulted from an unexpected system shutdown which possibly occurred a few months back. Most of my software/apps function normally, so it likely went undetected for a while.

What I can NOT do:

• Right-Click images from (any) Internet Browser, to save image. The Save File Dialogue Box will not appear.
    • Right-Click and Copy an image off an Internet Browser and Paste it into Microsoft Paint, to save it there, as clicking any menu and/or icon for file saving will directly result in a Red X, Critical Error Alert stating "Could not save".
    • Click Save File from my neither my free, nor purchased Microsoft Store Apps.
    What I CAN do:

• Drag and Drop image files from Internet Browser directly into any folder.
    • Click a "Download" button in an Internet Browser, if present on a website, as this downloads a file directly into my designated download folder destination.
    • Right-Click and Copy an image off an Internet Browser and Paste it into my non-Microsoft Image editing software, from where I can save it normally, as a new file.
    • Click Save File (any file type) from any and all non-Microsoft Apps. (as stated above)
    What I have done:

• Windows Update.
    • Did "all the things" in Windows PowerShell. Doing this, even confirmed there were no detected issues.
    • Did a Clean Boot with all non-MS services disabled, (as per topic: Redirecting )
    • Reset Microsoft Store Applications.
    • Ran a Disk Check.
    • Ran a Trouble-shooter.
    What I have NOT done (and wish to avoid doing, as these steps tends to be needlessly obnoxious and stressful):

• Full Windows Reset
    • System Restore
    • Microsoft Account recreation
    One highlight, is the Critical Error message on e.g. Microsoft Paint, straight-out stating "Could not save", as it seems like a significant hint, compared to any other error instances where the dialogue box simply doesn't open and no other information is given.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Daniel

RenardDK, Jun 10, 2023
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 10, 2023
Thema:

1. Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently... - Similar Threads - Save dialogue freezing

2. freezing dialogue boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freezing dialogue boxes: When I copy files from one drive to another, the progress dialogue box comes up but on reaching 100% it does not close down. It remains frozen on the screen. Only a restart of Windows gets rid of it. What is the problem? How do I stop the dialogue from freezing? How do I...
  3. freezing dialogue boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freezing dialogue boxes: When I copy files from one drive to another, the progress dialogue box comes up but on reaching 100% it does not close down. It remains frozen on the screen. Only a restart of Windows gets rid of it. What is the problem? How do I stop the dialogue from freezing? How do I...
  4. Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...: As far as I can see, I'm having this same issue as the closed thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-and-save-as-dialog-boxes-freezing-in-apps-on/55d78117-9554-4584-a598-ceebbcc760c2 The only things I can add is that, say the app is notepad, if I...
  5. Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Save as dialogue freezing on several apps. Troublesome work around by deleting recently...: As far as I can see, I'm having this same issue as the closed thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-and-save-as-dialog-boxes-freezing-in-apps-on/55d78117-9554-4584-a598-ceebbcc760c2 The only things I can add is that, say the app is notepad, if I...
  6. Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.: I continue to find myself unable to save files, as the Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for a small selection of software.I do not know the exact time and cause of the error, but the only thing I could suggest, is that this resulted from an unexpected system shutdown...
  7. Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.: I continue to find myself unable to save files, as the Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for a small selection of software.I do not know the exact time and cause of the error, but the only thing I could suggest, is that this resulted from an unexpected system shutdown...
  8. Save File Dialogue Box will not appear for MS Apps.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Recent Folders disappear from Save As dialogues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recent Folders disappear from Save As dialogues: In Quick Access, I pinned Recent Folders, however this never appears when I'm using the Save As feature, so dumb. I could did this easily in Windows 7, the computer doesn't deny me permission to customize my own features like that. Anyway to fix this? submitted by...
  10. Save-As dialogue box freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Save-As dialogue box freezes: I am using Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.753). I'm facing a problem in the "Save as" dialog box. It freezes for 15-20 seconds in every software, be it Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft word, photoshop, etc.What must I do to resolve this issue? 77168