Windows 10: Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

Discus and support Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, as of today I am now having a frustrating problem with Windows 10 when attempting to save a file with Save As. If the name I type for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MatthewHousehouse, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

Hello all, as of today I am now having a frustrating problem with Windows 10 when attempting to save a file with Save As.

If the name I type for the file to be saved is the same as, or the same as part of a folders name, clicking save now opens that folder instead of saving the file in the location already selected. This is really really annoying. How do I get save as to save when clicking save, no matter what the file name is?

To better describe the problem I have added screen shots below.

I want to save a photo to my desktop, I have selected Save As and typed in the filename I want to name the photo: Van.

Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving. abf548a7-51bd-40f8-8098-8844c17f5eab?upload=true.png

There is already a folder on my desktop named Van Lock. When I click the save button, instead of saving the photo on the desktop, it opens the folder named Van Lock:

Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving. 127f352c-7b9a-4948-aca0-03508cea892c?upload=true.png

This problem appears to only be affecting Windows programs, other programs save properly. This problem is on my Windows 10 desktop computer, but not on my Windows 10 Laptop. I have tried to search for solutions to this issue but no one seems to have posted the problem before, any help is greatly received!

Matt

:)

MatthewHousehouse, Apr 24, 2020
  2. Bowlsys Win User

Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Hi,
    I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it.
    The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names.

Hope I have explained my problem clearly.

Would appreciate any help
    Thanks

Bowlsys, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Default file extension - cannot save file name as .php in notepad.

Hi Niko,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to save the WordPad and check if it helps.

1. Open the “WordPad”, click on “File”.

2. Click on “Save as”, under file name enter the name abc.php.

3. Under “Save as type” select as “All files”.

4. Click on “Save” and check.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

deleting history of "save as" under "file name"

When I find an image I want to save , I click right on the image and then click " save as". A new window opens where under "file name" I write the name of the image I want to save and then click save. When I type in the name under which the image
    is to be saved there appears a list of names of previously saved images. I don't want that list to appear. How do I delete that history of saved image names?

lornmichaels, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

1. Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving. - Similar Threads - Save file name

2. Saved Web Page Opens With Folder Name Where It Was Saved Into

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saved Web Page Opens With Folder Name Where It Was Saved Into: Windows 10, Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2965Lately, after saving a web page to my directory, when I open the saved page, it included the folder name it was saved in. The opened page would show some of it's contents, for not a functional web page.On this forum, went to the...
  3. Saved Web Page Opens With Folder Name Where It Was Saved Into

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saved Web Page Opens With Folder Name Where It Was Saved Into: Windows 10, Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2965Lately, after saving a web page to my directory, when I open the saved page, it included the folder name it was saved in. The opened page would show some of it's contents, for not a functional web page.On this forum, went to the...
  4. Saved Web Page Opens With Folder Name Where It Was Saved Into

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  6. Creating a default file name for all files saved to a folder

Creating a default file name for all files saved to a folder: Where i work we have many documents that are saved to their respective folder on a daily basis by many different people. Everyone seems to have their own idea on what the files saved in the folder should be named. As you can probably imagine, it gets messy. Im curious if...
  7. Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files: I’m not even sure what to Google to try and figure this out. Looking for any help. My goal is when I go to save a file that the name of the file starts with this date format... YYYY-DD-MM Then the highlighted blue area would be editable and I could put whatever in there. But...
  8. Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory

Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory: So lets say I want to save my excel file to my documents folder. I want to name the file "data", but there is already a folder with the name data in the documents directory. When I type the word "data" into "File name:" and hit save, the file explorer opens up the data folder...
  9. Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge: When I unlocked my computer this morning and tried "save as" for a photo out of Edge, there was one of my financial files names auto populated in the "file name" field. It has been some time since I've used Edge (usually use Chrome). I have not done anything with that file in...
  10. Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder: Hi, I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it. The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names. Hope I have explained...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wordpad change page orientation