Windows 10: Save as function randomly selecting file names

Discus and support Save as function randomly selecting file names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What I expect to be able to do: Open a word doc Alter said doc Click save as Windows explorer will then highlight the file I am saving in its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JaredRoy, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JaredRoy Win User

Save as function randomly selecting file names

What I expect to be able to do:

Open a word doc

Alter said doc

Click save as

Windows explorer will then highlight the file I am saving in its current location

What is actually happening:

Open a word doc

Alter said doc

Click save as

Windows explorer will then select a random file or folder, overwriting the wrong file, or duplicate the wrong name

I have repaired office on and offline

I uninstalled 32-bit office and reinstalled 64-bit office

I have run a system file check, and have scanned and repair the health of the machine.

:)

JaredRoy, Jan 14, 2020

2. Default file extension - cannot save file name as .php in notepad.

Hi Niko,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to save the WordPad and check if it helps.

1. Open the “WordPad”, click on “File”.

2. Click on “Save as”, under file name enter the name abc.php.

3. Under “Save as type” select as “All files”.

4. Click on “Save” and check.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Microsoft Scan and Fax will not allow me to select modem name

Hello,

The issue might be caused if the driver is not compatible with Windows 10. I suggest you to download the latest driver for the modem and install the same in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check for status.

• Download the setup files for the driver from the manufacturer website and save it on your local disk.
    • Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
      “Properties”.
    • Select “Compatibility” Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to“Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver install and then check thefunctionality.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Save as function randomly selecting file names

Saving a file to a folder

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you

It would be grateful if you could provide us few questions answer to understand the issue better and to provide you better assistance.

• How are you accessing emails through web browser or through a mail client (mail app, outlook 2010/2013)?

• Are you trying to save the email attached file? Please elaborate.
    If you are using Outlook email, let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Try the below steps provided.

Step 1.

If you want to save only the attached file from the email, try the below step.

• Right click on the attached file and click on Save as.

• Now select a folder location where you want to save the attached file.
    Step 2.

If you want to save the file along with the email try the below steps provided.

• Open the mail you want to save and click on File on the top of the right side.

• Click on Save As and select a folder location where you want to save the email.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Save as function randomly selecting file names

1. Save as function randomly selecting file names - Similar Threads - Save function randomly

2. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  3. Is it possible to save the file explorers checkbox selections?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to save the file explorers checkbox selections?: I have a large collection of files: videos, movies, music, apps, backup images, data files, ratings, etc all on NAS.It is convenient to be able to use the file explorer checkbox feature for presenting, moving, copying ie: selecting certain files. The items can be "Saved as...
  4. Is it possible to save the file explorers checkbox selections?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to save the file explorers checkbox selections?: I have a large collection of files: videos, movies, music, apps, backup images, data files, ratings, etc all on NAS.It is convenient to be able to use the file explorer checkbox feature for presenting, moving, copying ie: selecting certain files. The items can be "Saved as...
  5. Is it possible to save the file explorers checkbox selections?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files: I’m not even sure what to Google to try and figure this out. Looking for any help. My goal is when I go to save a file that the name of the file starts with this date format... YYYY-DD-MM Then the highlighted blue area would be editable and I could put whatever in there. But...
  7. Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge: When I unlocked my computer this morning and tried "save as" for a photo out of Edge, there was one of my financial files names auto populated in the "file name" field. It has been some time since I've used Edge (usually use Chrome). I have not done anything with that file in...
  8. file name selection dropdown

in Cortana
    file name selection dropdown: i know this isnt hyper specific but im having trouble with a file selection related issue its hard to put into words but its something like this i would be on discord uploading a file i would type in this box the first couple letters of a file name and it would pop up with...
  9. Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.: Hello all, as of today I am now having a frustrating problem with Windows 10 when attempting to save a file with Save As. If the name I type for the file to be saved is the same as, or the same as part of a folders name, clicking save now opens that folder instead of saving...
  10. The Saving file area not properly functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Saving file area not properly functioning: While saving any file, the saving area is not showing properly. The names of the folders are not showing and the field to put the name is not showing properly and the field is sqieezed to a narrow line. It happened all at a sudden automatically....