Windows 10: Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

Discus and support Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wrv, Jun 4, 2020.

1. WRV
    wrv Win User

Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

On my system at least (Win10 2004):

When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave
    the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML

The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open correctly even with the same browser used to save it.

If one renames the file extension either before or after saving, it gives a valid MHTML file which opens correctly in MHTML- capable browsers.

IE does Save as MHT correctly, using the correct MHT file extension, and the resulting file opens correctly in IE

Firefox does not offer a single-file save of a normally complex web page except as a simplified HTML file, although perhaps extensions offer this possibility.

Because this affects multiple browsers, it may be a problem within Windows, presumably correctable within the registry or with the old Winfile, which I was surprised to find was offered in the Windows store. (Winfile has been around since Windows 3.1 at least!)

I have tried SFC and DISM, and everything comes up OK.

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this problem.

Perhaps a knowledgeable member can help me fix it, otherwise I hope Microsoft fixes it (I have posted it in the Windows 10 Feedback hub.)

Thanks,

:)

2. Saving worpad file as html

When I save the WordPad file as "all file types" it is supposed to save with the file extension of "HTML"; however the file type listed in the folder is "Text Document" - which can't be read as HTML.

CarolCordova-Willhoite, Jun 4, 2020
  3. saving html file

File Explorer > View tab on ribbon > Options > View tab in Folder Options dialog > Uncheck
    Hide extensions for known file types. Then check whether the file you've saved has the extension .HTM/.HTML, or .HTM.TXT/.HTML.TXT by mistake.

Once you have it set to .HTM or .HTML properly, it should be associated with your default browser and open up in it when you double-click the file.

RobertJWin, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

you'll need a new app to open this mhtml

This is what I've found:

MHTML, short for MIME HTML,
    is a web page archive format used to combine in
    a single document the HTML code and its companion resources that are otherwise represented by external links (such as images, Flash animations, Java applets, and audio files). The content of an MHTML file is encoded as if it were an HTML
    message, using the MIME type multipart/related.

The first part of the file is an e-mail header. The second part is normally encoded HTML. Subsequent
    parts are additional resources identified by their original URLs and encoded in base64.
    This format is sometimes referred to as MHT, after the suffix .mht given to such files by default when created by Microsoft
    Word
    , Internet Explorer, or Opera.
    MHTML is a proposed open standard, circulated in a revised edition in 1999 as RFC 2557.

The .mhtml (Web archive) and .eml (e-mail file) file extensions are interchangeable (the
    files can be renamed). The first can be sent by e-mail (and displayed by the email client if the html code is basic enough) and an e-mail message
    can be saved to an OS file and renamed to a Web archive extension.

JeroldCode, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

1. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension - Similar Threads - Save MHTML defaults

2. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  3. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  4. Change default file extension for application

Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  5. "Save As" Application "Not Responding" When HTML Files Are Downloaded

"Save As" Application "Not Responding" When HTML Files Are Downloaded: When I attempt to download HTML files, the "Save As" function doesn't allow me to save but comes up with "Not Responding". But it allows me to save JPG files just fine. I can also upload JPGs as you can see by the included screenshot.I've tried disabling my Ad Blocker and my...
  6. What is EXCEL MHTML Format Data offered to be saved in MHTML format

in Microsoft Office and 365
    What is EXCEL MHTML Format Data offered to be saved in MHTML format: Hi folks From a table display in a database system I got a query from I want to save entries into a spreadsheet -- I'm offered a few formats but EXCEL MHTML is one I've never head of --anybody got any ideas what it is / does etc. [img] Cheers jimbo 169120
  7. I can't save html files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't save html files?: When I want to save an html file from the notepad it just doesn't save it. Does someone know why? submitted by /u/WinkyFace357 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jw0y5l/i_cant_save_html_files/
  8. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

in Browsers and Email
    Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension: On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open...
  9. Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions: I am trying to set Notepad++ as default program for .md files. (just an example, other filetypes also do not work) I tried to set the default program via the 'file properties dialog', the 'right click->open with dialog' and simply by double clicking the file (default app...
  10. - Problem with file extension - .html

in Windows 10 Support
    - Problem with file extension - .html: HELP *Sleepy I can´t seem to get any file with the .html exstension to open, I use Firefox and made sure in the file associations that it has this program as the default. BUT.. whenever I double click the files it gives me a message that there is no program associated with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 mhtml saving problem