Windows 10: Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

Discus and support Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wrv, Jun 6, 2020.

1. WRV
    wrv Win User

Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

On my system at least (Win10 2004):

When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave
    the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML

The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open correctly even with the same browser used to save it.

If one renames the file extension either before or after saving, it gives a valid MHTML file which opens correctly in MHTML- capable browsers.

IE does Save as MHT correctly, using the correct MHT file extension, and the resulting file opens correctly in IE

Firefox does not offer a single-file save of a normally complex web page except as a simplified HTML file, although perhaps extensions offer this possibility.

Because this affects multiple browsers, it may be a problem within Windows, presumably correctable within the registry or with the old Winfile, which I was surprised to find was offered in the Windows store. (Winfile has been around since Windows 3.1 at least!)

I have tried SFC and DISM, and everything comes up OK.

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this problem.

Perhaps a knowledgeable member can help me fix it, otherwise I hope Microsoft fixes it (I have posted it in the Windows 10 Feedback hub.)

Thanks,

:)

2. Berton Win User

Of the browsers I've used/tried only IE is able to use the .mht format for a complete single file. When saving as a Complete page in other browsers there is the .htm/.html file but also a folder of the same name and extension of _files added to it.
    Firefox has this list for the save as:

Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension [​IMG]

Berton, Jun 6, 2020
  3. WRV
    wrv Win User

On my system at least (Win10 2004):

When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave
    the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML

The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open correctly even with the same browser used to save it.

If one renames the file extension either before or after saving, it gives a valid MHTML file which opens correctly in MHTML- capable browsers.

IE does Save as MHT correctly, using the correct MHT file extension, and the resulting file opens correctly in IE

Firefox does not offer a single-file save of a normally complex web page except as a simplified HTML file, although perhaps extensions offer this possibility.

Because this affects multiple browsers, it may be a problem within Windows, presumably correctable within the registry or with the old Winfile, which I was surprised to find was offered in the Windows store. (Winfile has been around since Windows 3.1 at least!)

I have tried SFC and DISM, and everything comes up OK.

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this problem.

Perhaps a knowledgeable member can help me fix it, otherwise I hope Microsoft fixes it (I have posted it in the Windows 10 Feedback hub.)

Thanks,

4. WRV
    wrv Win User

Berton, you are right about IE and Firefox.

The new Edge is based on the Chromium framework, and both can Save as MHTML, although at present one has to rename the incorrect HTML file extension. The previous, non-Chromium-based Edge has been "deprecated" and Microsoft is replacing it with the new version of Edge. The older version is now called "Legacy Edge". As mentioned, various other browsers also can save to MHTML, all with the same file extension error on my system. If someone has time, perhaps he/she/they can see whether the same error happens on their Windows system.

My system is a Toshiba Satellite C40D-A, with AMD processor, A6-5200 APU, 6 GB of RAM, AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics, originally sold with Windows 8 Home, then upgraded to 8.1, then to the 8.1 upgrade, and only recently to Windows 10 (which is again offered at no cost to legal users of Windows 8, and I think even of Windows 7. If you had the Home version of the previous systems, you get Win10 Home, and if you had the Pro version before, you get Win10 Pro I guess Microsoft is trying to get everybody using the same type of system, although many users of Windows 7 are quite happy with their system.

I had also used Windows 10 in 2015-16, and was quite happy with it. I think at that time, I mostly used IE with MHT, as the file and folder HTML save is awkward, although it does work well if one accepts this drawback. Now, IE is no longer able to open some web pages correctly, and I understand Microsoft is no longer actively developing it. I notice it is slower to open an MHT file than the other browsers can open an MHTML file.

Thanks,

Thema:

1. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension - Similar Threads - Save MHTML defaults

2. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  3. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  4. Change default file extension for application

Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  5. "Save As" Application "Not Responding" When HTML Files Are Downloaded

"Save As" Application "Not Responding" When HTML Files Are Downloaded: When I attempt to download HTML files, the "Save As" function doesn't allow me to save but comes up with "Not Responding". But it allows me to save JPG files just fine. I can also upload JPGs as you can see by the included screenshot.I've tried disabling my Ad Blocker and my...
  6. What is EXCEL MHTML Format Data offered to be saved in MHTML format

in Microsoft Office and 365
    What is EXCEL MHTML Format Data offered to be saved in MHTML format: Hi folks From a table display in a database system I got a query from I want to save entries into a spreadsheet -- I'm offered a few formats but EXCEL MHTML is one I've never head of --anybody got any ideas what it is / does etc. [img] Cheers jimbo 169120
  7. I can't save html files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't save html files?: When I want to save an html file from the notepad it just doesn't save it. Does someone know why? submitted by /u/WinkyFace357 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jw0y5l/i_cant_save_html_files/
  8. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension: On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open...
  9. Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions: I am trying to set Notepad++ as default program for .md files. (just an example, other filetypes also do not work) I tried to set the default program via the 'file properties dialog', the 'right click->open with dialog' and simply by double clicking the file (default app...
  10. - Problem with file extension - .html

in Windows 10 Support
    - Problem with file extension - .html: HELP *Sleepy I can´t seem to get any file with the .html exstension to open, I use Firefox and made sure in the file associations that it has this program as the default. BUT.. whenever I double click the files it gives me a message that there is no program associated with...