Windows 10: Save files from "No media" external hard drive

Discus and support Save files from "No media" external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I am lost. I have been googling for hours but I can't figure out if there is anything left to do to restore my external hard drive data.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by matzeso, Apr 17, 2020.

1. matzeso Win User

Save files from "No media" external hard drive

Hey everyone,
    I am lost. I have been googling for hours but I can't figure out if there is anything left to do to restore my external hard drive data.

I have an external hard drive that occasionally had reading issues, sometimes I just had to plug it in again and it recognized the hard drive after a while. Now it does not recognize the hard drive anymore.

It is a 1TB Intenso 2,5" external hard drive and probably around 8 years old.
    I don't really care about the harddrive anymore, I have 2 new ones already, but one thing I would really like to recover are all my photos. It contains all pictures I have taken on any phone since 13 years and it's my only backup (in hindsight, that was stupid).

I tried different computers and different cables, all to the same result, even tried to read it on MacOs.

In "This PC", there is no drive showing up.
    In disk management, there is no partition or anything available, just the disk showing up (see images).
    The driver is some windows default driver, although I am sure that while it was still working it would show INTENSO in the device manager.

diskpart list and
    Disk Part:
    DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 233 GB 0 B *
    Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B
    Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> uniqueid disk

Disk ID: 00000000

DISKPART> detail disk

PI-239 USB 2.0 Drive USB Device
    Disk ID: 00000000
    Type : USB
    Path : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

There are no volumes.

Is there anything left to do for me?
    Any ideas if this is solvable?
    Thanks in advance for your help, if you need any more information let me know.

Bests,
    Matthias

:)

matzeso, Apr 17, 2020

2. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 17, 2020
  4. KomouPoji Win User

Windows 10 Media Player will not save music data populated fron external hard drive???

Hi Day,

To assist you further, let me ask you:

• Did you disconnects the external hard drive or is it connected all the time?
    • What exactly do you mean by populated?
    • Are you referring to media player library/playlist?
    If it is about library and the external hard drive is connected all the time, I would suggest you to run Media player settings troubleshooter and media player library troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Control panel.

2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click troubleshooting.

3. Click View all, Click Windows Media player Settings and then media player library troubleshooter.

I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on windows, we’ll be glad to help you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Save files from "No media" external hard drive - Similar Threads - Save files media

2. Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media: I loaded the Microsoft installation media ISO onto a 2 TB external hard drive. At first the original storage capacity wasn't shown correctly. For example, the drive was showing 300 GB available after finishing the Windows 10 install on another PC. After formatting the...
  3. Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media: I loaded the Microsoft installation media ISO onto a 2 TB external hard drive. At first the original storage capacity wasn't shown correctly. For example, the drive was showing 300 GB available after finishing the Windows 10 install on another PC. After formatting the...
  4. Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Saving movies to external hard drive from Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Saving movies to external hard drive from Microsoft Store: Am I able to save movies purchased from the Microsoft Store to an external hard drive? If so....how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-movies-to-external-hard-drive-from/ccd3bb81-0955-4788-8833-a360cdd67977
  6. Saving files to hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving files to hard drive: I've just bought Microsoft Office and am using Windows 10 but I'm struggling to save Excel files to my hard drive. What is the likely problem...
  7. Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive: So I had to send in my previous laptop for repair and backed up my critical files and programs prior to sending it off. Glad I did so, since the folks doing the repairs, totally borked it. I got my warranty refund and purchased a new laptop. Problems have arisen though, in...
  8. deleting files from external hard drive

deleting files from external hard drive: trying to delete and getting error code 0*80070570, what does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-from-external-hard-drive/8390b5f9-4abf-4ff3-aa8d-29caf58d76e1"
  9. files on external hard drive

files on external hard drive: Hi, This a bit complicated We had a PC crash last year & PC world downloaded all our files on our Maxtor external hard drive now I want to put all our pictures/ photos back on & if I click on the file & find 'send' it only offers to send the file to Docs or shortcut to...
  10. Saving a Video to External Hard Drive

Saving a Video to External Hard Drive: I have many video that I made in the past and are saved under "Videos" But, now Windows 10 is using a Video Editor programme within photos, I have made a video as a Titled Video Project there but cannot integrate it with all my previous Videos or transfer it to the hard...