Windows 10: Save state between reboots

Discus and support Save state between reboots in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, my laptop runs Windows 10 Pro and I use multiple workspaces (or desktops). I use one for most things, a second one for a course I'm taking on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dEhiN83, Apr 17, 2019.

1. dEhiN83 Win User

Save state between reboots

Hi all, my laptop runs Windows 10 Pro and I use multiple workspaces (or desktops). I use one for most things, a second one for a course I'm taking on becoming a front-end web developer, and a third one for a eBook I'm going through on programming/machine learning. The second workspace has a browser open with usually two tabs - one for the course syllabus, and one for whichever module I'm currently on - and MS Visual Studio Code. The third workspace has an eReader open with the eBook. Then, depending on which resource I'm working through, I open additional browser windows/tabs as necessary.

The problem I'm running into is that whenever Windows need to restart (especially due to updates, etc.), I have to set up my workspaces again. I usually use hibernate and/or sleep when I close my laptop to allow me to quickly resume my work. But, when there are updates available, Windows will install them when I'm not using the laptop and then automatically restart. Even if the restart was a manual option, I would still have to set up my workspaces again post-restart. Does Windows 10 have a way to save state? Something similar to sleep/hibernate where the OS keeps track of which programs were open and on which workspace, and then after a restart sets everything back to the way things were? If not, does anyone know of a third-party program that does something like that? I would even be fine with having to navigate on the browser to course again if at least the browser was started automatically post-restart.

Thanks in advance.

:)

dEhiN83, Apr 17, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 17, 2019
  3. web pg saving

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if webpage is not saved properly.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "1 suggestion was ctrl s the n ctrl a", how exactly have you tried to used the keyboard command for saving the webpages?

I suggest you to follow the steps to save the webpage on the computer and check if it helps.

1. Open the Microsoft Edge browser.

2. Right click on the webpage link and then click on Save target as
    and then save the webpage.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Save state between reboots

CPU Multiplier help

turn off speed step! That is Intels way of saving energy.

To completely disable the stepping, disable speed step and the C States in the bios.

sneekypeet, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Save state between reboots

1. Save state between reboots - Similar Threads - Save state between

2. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  3. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  4. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing and rebooting to previous state: My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the first crash. It's made it impossible to reliably use. Everything will run fine for an indeterminate amount of time I'm...
  5. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing and rebooting to previous state: My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the first crash. It's made it impossible to reliably use. Everything will run fine for an indeterminate amount of time I'm...
  6. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

7. Saving and restoring the running state of a program?

Saving and restoring the running state of a program?: I really like VM snapshots, but VMs have very heavy overhead, being essentially a computer within a computer. Thus, I'm wondering if there's software out there that can provide the same functionality as a VM snapshot without being a VM - something that can save the running...
  8. Program to create a save state of current desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program to create a save state of current desktop: A friend of mine likes to use separate desktops for work and play (the ones you can access using win+tab). However, since he doesn't have a great PC, he was having performance issues that probably had something to do with his RAM usage being too high as a result of having...
  9. Nothing is saved after reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nothing is saved after reboot: Hello, Since a few days ago I have been experiencing a few bizarre symptoms on my Windows 10 PC. It started with a BSOD with stop code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT when I play video games. The BSOD occurs typically within 10-30min of me starting the game, and varies each time. The...
  10. Reboot forgot to save .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reboot forgot to save .: To whom it may concern .This will be the second time , with in a matter if weeks , forgetting to save my actions . Also I put many copies of , and changed file names . I fixed some file name like my local c drive . I cant get to the many copies and remove them . I bought a...